Searching for a specific book.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I find myself in need of advice so naturally I turn to you, oh wise AW-dwellers.

Basically, to make a long story short, I'm searching for a book for research (both for my fiction and nonfiction). I had thought I'd found a place to buy it new, but they recently informed me (after 7 months of inadequate & incorrect communications :rant::Soapbox::Headbang:) that the book is out of print with the publisher. I have no issues with buying a used copy, but I do object to the $300-$500 the two sellers on Amazon are asking for it (new it only cost $70).

The book itself is Who’s Who at Deir El-Medina: A Prosopographic Study of the Royal Workmen’s Community by Benedict G. Davies. It was a PhD dissertation, published later by the Dutch Institute of the Near East.
I'm pondering attempting to contact the author to see if he has copies available for sale, but I would like to explore other options first.

Any suggestions for where to search for used academic books? Leads? Sympathy?
Really, anything will be appreciated. :)

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ooh, thanks Alleycat. I did do a google-books search for it (several times) which is how I found the Incompetent Company, but that one didn't come up for me.

I think, given my previous experience, I'll call them and make sure they can actually provide what they're advertising though. :tongue

Deleted member 42

Find the school where he did his Ph.D.; then try interlibrary loan, even contacting the Interlibrary loan department there and providing information about you, and your libraries.

Also try Dissertation Abstracts International/University Microfilms/Whatever the current company is called now.

Most dissertations can be bought for about 40.00 U.S. for a hardcopy that's poorly photocopied.

Try world cat to find other libraries that have a copy.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Medi. I think I can get a copy through ILL, which is not optimal long-term, but will be helpful short-term. Just wish I'd thought of it months ago. Then again, I thought my very own copy was going to be arriving so...bah.
Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. :)