• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Thoth Literary Agency

wardmclark

Woods bum
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frombearcreek.com
Vomaxx said:
Hmmm... they are in Colorado. I wonder if there is much demand for "Hula Halau Hoopalama" in Denver or Pueblo? (Maybe that's why they opened a litarary agency??)

Hula dancing isn't really a big deal around here, as far as I know.

Maybe I need to get out more?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I might also mention that they are not listed in either the 2003 Denver Yellow Pages or Business White pages. Littleton is a suburb of Denver, and I just moved from there two years ago.

I also performed a search on Publishers Marketplace for any deals reported. Of course, they don't HAVE to report deals -- but most agencies do (for bragging rights, to increase their stature, and to promote subsidiary deals!) There were none, going back to 2001.

This might not mean anything, but . . . No listing in the yellow pages? Seems odd. I could probably ask my entertainment attorney, if someone is really interested in pursuing it. He's with a large firm in downtown Denver and handles entertainment law exclusively, so I'd presume that he knows all the agents in the area.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
You're not likely to find a literary agent in the yellow pages unless it's one with a reading fee. More likely in the white pages.

Qoilant

Wow! This is making me feel quite joyous it didn't work out with them. As far as successful placements, I did searches on the authors they've got on their writersmarket.com listing, and none were to be found at various online stores. Other than their touting the wonders of themselves on various websites, I can find nothing else on Thoth.

Also being from Colorado, I can't see that there's a lot of call for Hula dancing or the hiring of those who do. Still, I don't live in a Denver surburb (like Littleton), so maybe there? I still feel that it indicates the agency as a hobby.

I also got the sense of their being very sneaky, like people would pound on their doors if we knew where they were, so their answering machine's outgoing message doesn't identify the business, which is strange, and Manulani Thelen's cell phone, even after signing with her, came up as blocked so that I couldn't call her in the middle of the night, apparently, to whine at her. A lot of trust there.

Last edited:

parsley

I wanted to respond to the negative postings that you all have given Thoth Agency. I was originally a client of Thoth about 2 years ago. They provided very constructive direction to me, as my book was not getting positive feedback from publishers. When my contract expired I didn't renew and I then tried to secure another agent but no one would sign me on. Yet, the other agents wouldn't tell me what was wrong with the manuscript.

I wrote to Thoth Agency and talked to them about renewing my contract. They gladly signed me on again and I am very pleased to report that they just got me a wonderful book deal with a major publisher. The personnel at Thoth are absolutely wonderful; they are patient, kind, very honest and truly care about their clients.

I was really shocked to see these slanderous postings on this site. When I saw this link in the search engine I thought it was a group of Thoth backers. Thoth Agency is not "...absolute and total joke..." nor "...sneaky." It sounds like some of you are just bitter because they could not sell your books, nor does a publisher want it. Perhaps if you spent as much effort on your manuscript as you do in slandering this agency, maybe your work would one day sell.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, parsley. Would you like to give us the title of your book, and that of the "major publisher" Thoth sold it to, so we can decide for ourselves what to think of Thoth?

Incidentally, before you go shooting off that the people criticizing Thoth are bitter, jealous literary failures, you might want to Google some of their names and see what books they've had published. You might also want to learn the definition of "slander," and how it differs from "libel," and how both are different from "negative comments."

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
parsley said:
Perhaps if you spent as much effort on your manuscript as you do in slandering this agency, maybe your work would one day sell.

Ooooh, SLAM!!

:box:

FYI, my work did sell, and I have an reputable agent with a documented history of sales to real publishers. Thoth told me my ms was "wrought" with spelling and formatting errors. They obviously have never seen a manuscript formatted correctly, and don't know what to make of such a beast. And they need a new spell checker or a bigger dictionary.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
parsley,

If they did indeed get you a good deal, congrats. You'd be doing them a big favor by reporting your deal over on Publisher's Marketplace. http://www.publishersmarketplace.com The site is a tool that a lot of people use when researching an agent. But just so you know, they do check out the deals for accuracy before posting them.
You might also mention to your agent that they really should have a listing in the Denver Metro white pages for the business. It's free, after all, which means they're intentionally blocking it from appearing. That also gives a bad impression.

parsley

To Aconite: The terms are interchangeable:

SLANDEROUS
  1. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.
LIBEL

1. A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.

To Cathy C: Thanks for information on publishers marketplace :) !

To azbikergirl: Early in my relationship with Thoth Agency, I received a coaching letter and the word used was "fraught" - "Filled with a specified element or elements; charged: an incident fraught with danger; an evening fraught with high drama; fraught with spelling and formatting errors."

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
parsley said:
To Aconite: The terms are interchangeable:

SLANDEROUS
  1. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.
LIBEL

1. A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.

From a legal standpoint, the terms are not interchangeable.

Also, I'm still waiting for you to answer the question about the title of your book and the name of the publisher Thoth placed it with.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Just a few facts:

1. Parsley arrived specifically to defend Thoth, a literary agency reported by members of this board to have a questionable reputation.
  2. Parsley states he/she is a writer who has had a book placed with a major publisher by Thoth.
  3. Parsley has ignored requests to reveal the title of the alleged book or the name of the alleged major publisher.
  4. Thoth is located in a suburb of Denver, Colorado.
  5. Parsley's ISP is located in Denver, Colorado.
Make of these facts what you will.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Two years later, no sign of clients and/or sales. Recently closed to submissions.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks to be open to submissions again, but still no sign of sales, etc.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Harvey Klinger is a well respected agency, but look at their webiste!

Not quite as bad as hula hips, but pushing the boundary.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No activity since '11.