Full manuscript - how long before sending a follow-up email?

Enraptured

Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoecannon.com
When you have a full out with an agent, how long should you wait for a response before sending a follow-up email? An agent has had my manuscript for several weeks, and I know that's not necessarily a long time, but I'm also afraid it's sitting forgotten in a pile somewhere... or worse, that she sent a response that I never received. I don't want to come across as rude and pushy, though, so I don't want to email her before it's warranted.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
First, check the agency website and see if they have any guidelines on how long you may expect to wait.

A few weeks isn't long at all, in the publishing world. Two to three months isn't unheard of for full submissions.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Go to query tracker and look up your agent. The site has response time statistics on both queries and submissions. In any case, several weeks is nothing. Three months or more is the average. And don't be afraid that your MS is in a pile somewhere, for it surely is! Few agents take more than a few days to read a manuscript, the rest of that time your work is resting in a stack. Everyone who didn't include a hundred dollar bill has to wait their turn.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
response

I know that's not necessarily a long time, but I'm also afraid it's sitting forgotten in a pile somewhere... or worse, that she sent a response that I never received. I don't want to come across as rude and pushy, though, so I don't want to email her before it's warranted.

Welcome to Club Paranoia where you will find millions of writers who suffer from similar thoughts.

Seriously, you have received great advice. Every agent is different. I assume you have or plan to query other agents -- you should.

Adam Hammonds

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adam-hammonds.com
Go to query tracker and look up your agent. The site has response time statistics on both queries and submissions. In any case, several weeks is nothing. Three months or more is the average. And don't be afraid that your MS is in a pile somewhere, for it surely is! Few agents take more than a few days to read a manuscript, the rest of that time your work is resting in a stack. Everyone who didn't include a hundred dollar bill has to wait their turn.

You have to be a premium member to access this sort of data, right, Julie? Or am I missing a convenient little button somewhere . . .

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Adam-- try the row of buttons... starts with Home, Literary Agent... they're not just words-- they're menus. Try it. =)

Membership is not required. I just went over there and did it.

For example, if you click Literary Agents and Search by Agent, you can look up by last name (like I just did.)

HannaRay

Registered
Reaction score
Enraptured - If the agent requested your full, an email after 4-6 weeks is not unreasonable. Good luck.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
three months for writers = a million years
three months for agents = three days

I agree with Adam and Chaos. If you haven't heard anything in three months, then I would email the agent to inquire about its status. In the meantime, keep querying and writing.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with sending a "status query" after eight weeks, though you may get the answer "It's still on my stack."

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
1. When you sent in the manuscript, didn't you use Delivery Confirmation from the USPS or similar service from FedEx or UPS? That way, you would have known it got there and when. You should always use something traceable when sending in anything other than a simple query, I feel.
2. If you know the agent got it, why are you following up? Do you believe this agent is capable of outright losing material? If so, why would you want this agent?
3. Did the agent ask for an SASE and did you send one? Did it have your current address on it and do you still live there? If so, is there a reason to expect it would not have reached you?
4. Don't you think that if the agent wanted to represent you, he or she would have called or called to follow-up if he or she sent a written offer of representation and not heard back?

Seems to me that all indicators are that the agent has not yet read the manuscript and following up in the absence of any reason to follow-up is unneeded.

Best,
Andy

Enraptured

Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoecannon.com
Thanks for all the responses :) They helped tone down my paranoia a bit. Unfortunately, the point is now moot, since I just received a rejection...

sundawson

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I realize this is particular to every agent but regardles I'm wondering if someone could possibly provide some information. If an agent requests a full but gives no time frame for response, and if their website doesn't have ant pertinent response time information, when is it generally okay to send a short email inquiring about the ms.? Ms. was sent via email and, as is often the case, there was no email from agency stating that ms. was received. When is it okay to engage this follow up? It's at the 6 weeks mark at the moment. Thanks.

sundawson

Registered
Reaction score
Is it generally considered okay to send a quick status inquiry email at the 6 week mark when an agent has requested a full or generally should one wait longer? Any advice would be enormously helpful. Thanks.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, send a status query. Rule of thumb 4-6 weeks after sending requested full.