AP Style - Square Feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is driving me nuts. I looked through my AP Stylebook (2006) and couldn't find how to write this: 875,655 square feet. As I wrote it, it struck me to look it up, didn't seem right.

My (news) story is due soon and I like to have as clean of a copy as possible when I turn it in (so I won't look like an idiot!). So could'ya help me out? :D

Do I write out "square feet" or "sq ft" or somethin' else?

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is driving me nuts. I looked through my AP Stylebook (2006) and couldn't find how to write this: 875,655 square feet. As I wrote it, it struck me to look it up, didn't seem right.

My (news) story is due soon and I like to have as clean of a copy as possible when I turn it in (so I won't look like an idiot!). So could'ya help me out? :D

Do I write out "square feet" or "sq ft" or somethin' else?
I've always used sqft or ft[sup]2[/sup]. But then, I'm an engineer.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I might abbreviate it as Sq. Ft. I like the ft-superscript-2 thing (though I don't care to type high-eigth-bit characters) as I'm an engineer too, but I'd be concerned some people might not understand. OTOH, there are a lot of people who don't understand what "square feet" are.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My feet are sort of curvy. I'd have to go with more like a figure eight than a square.

Sorry to be no help. Math type things aren't my department.

BTW, I looked it up in my CP (Canadian Press) style book but, alas, it's only got metric. The conversion table, though, says to write it as: sq. feet.

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
What I would do is write "875,655 square feet (ft[SUP]2[/SUP])" the first time, and every other time I referred to any amount of square feet in the rest of the article, just put "ft[SUP]2[/SUP]". Obviously, if this is the only reference to square feet in the article, you don't have to bother with the (ft[SUP]2[/SUP]) bit.

But then, what is this article for? Is it for a technical journal? In which case, the readers will know what ft[SUP]2[/SUP] means. If it's for a worldwide audience, you may also wish to convert to square metres afterwards. I think the States is pretty well the only place that still uses Imperial measures. (And before everyone howls and jumps on my back, I'm probably wrong about that! But Canada, Europe, etc, are metric. When we do reports to Council at work, (I work for a Canadian municipality), we put measurements in metric first, followed by Imperial in square brackets.)

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would use square feet.

By the way, this isn't a land mearsurement is it? In that case I would use acres.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My AP Stylebook is so old it measures in cubits, but my gut, usually fairly reliable, suggests that for a news story in the US press, you'd be fine with "square feet."

Hey, it works for Gumby, damn it!

Maryn, gut-truster

Last edited:

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I just used "square feet."

The paper usually goes with AP style, but with a few of their own. I turned it in last night, so I'll see what the copy editor did with it.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
The metric conversion chart in the AP Style guide has sq. feet, but that isn't an indication that that is how to present it in copy.

Funny how those abbrevations aren't listed. I think my copy is as old as Maryn's, too.

ETA: Found it, it's under Dimensions. It says "Use figures and spell out inches, feet, yards, etc. to indicate depth, height, length, and width."

Last edited:

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Yeh, I was pressed for time (it was going to be a cover story), so the managing editor was breathing down my neck to get it in quickly. We're talking about over 1500 words in less than two hours. :rolleyes: That included my own editing and organization from notes with quotes and research information, not to mention I had to stop a couple of times to fact check.

I thought about subscribing to the AP style, online edition so I could use the "search" feature.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ironic that I found this AFTER wondering about the same dilemma for the exact same reason today (working on a magazine article on a tight deadline). I used square feet as well. We'll see if my editor likes it that way or not.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of prose you're writing. If you're writing standard fiction or nonfiction for a nonspecialize audience, spell it out. "Square feet" is fine (personally, mine are pretty elongated).

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.