Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How's today? I'm sick of cold weather. (High near 50.)

Okay, I'm going to Target, Best Buy, Lowes, and maybe some other places if I don't run out of steam. Anybody need anything?

Maryn, shopping sales

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
We got our name back - and it's all spelled correctly. Woo!! :)

Welcome, Pandora.

I haven't noticed many of the overly opinionated threads, either, but I've been making a concentrated to stay out of the actual writing threads for a little while. I found that they were making me too paranoid and every time I wrote any sentence at all, all I could hear was "INFODUMP!!! TELLING NOT SHOWING!!! DELETE! DELETE!!!!"" until I couldn't write anything at all.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Pandora!!!
Maybe we could talk about the price of eggs in China.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, HOLers. Towel boy reporting for duty. Snorkel found and functional, so with the upturn in weather, it's time for water sports. Hot tub cannonball...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's your new best friend.

I'm not spreading this around just everywhere, but for my friends here: Ben & Jerry's is having Free Cone day, limited flavor selection, donations to each store's charity accepted but not required. I had mine, tossed a few bucks toward the town's Little League. A good deal all round!

If I'd realized we'd be using the hot tub today, I'd have shaved my legs. Sigh...

Maryn, who really did have free ice cream

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
We had one Ben & Jerry's here and it just didn't open one day. Closed at the normal time one night, and just stayed that way. I believe all of the furniture and everything else is still in the shop. It's very depressing, especially on Free Cone Day.
:cry:

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How's today? I'm sick of cold weather. (High near 50.)

Okay, I'm going to Target, Best Buy, Lowes, and maybe some other places if I don't run out of steam. Anybody need anything?

Maryn, shopping sales

Ditto. Got very warm here on Sunday and now they're predicting a bit of snow :Headbang: on Saturday. Sigh.

I love hardware stores even though I don't have a house to buy anything for. I just like wondering around Menards, or Home Depot sometimes. We have Lowes up here too but I keep forgetting to check them out.

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
For the love of dog, people - why can I not make a decent grilled cheese sandwich????? Butter, bread, cheese - I don't think I'm missing anything. I've been craving one all day, and this one is fairly substandard. Boo.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
For the love of dog, people - why can I not make a decent grilled cheese sandwich????? Butter, bread, cheese - I don't think I'm missing anything. I've been craving one all day, and this one is fairly substandard. Boo.
Lose the butter and add Worcestershire Sauce or, failing that, mustard.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bacon.

'Tis the answer to all cooking-related issues, and a whole bunch of non-cookning ones as well.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had a coupon for Tim Horton's (we're near Canada--are they everywhere in the US, or only Up North?) and Saturday I had a panini with cheese, bacon, and tomato. Kind of a heavy lunch for Miss Salad here, but it was real good. And amazingly enough, it held me until dinner, unlike a salad.

Writerly question: In something I shared with my RL critique group, I used the word asshat. Not one person in my group knew the term. In your experience, is this a word people know? Their suggestions for replacement led to an interesting dinner table discussions when The Kid was over, on the differences and nuances in the definitions of asshat, asshole, and asswipe. We all should have been linguists, huh?

Maryn, listening to it rain and imagining the grass seed sprouting

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
A quick survey yields a 3/3 positive response to the question "Have you ever heard the word "asshat"?"
I was also offered "assclown" as a substitute should it be needed.
:)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me like people who know asshat are all fairly active online. My critique group gets online, but in a somewhat conservative, information-gathering and emailing way, rather that being a part of any online community. (They won't even check out AW, ferchristsake!) None of them has Facebook, is a member at IMDb, or ever simply plays or amuses themselves online.

Maryn, shaking her head

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
my husband uses asshat on a regular basis. And assclown. but he is active online at Fark - well he reads fark, I don't know if he posts much.

I like asshat. I get a mental image that is - well - amusing.

Sassy- not feeling so sassy today.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like both words. They serve their purpose when you're looking for a word to describe a particular type of ass(bleep).

I also use the word "douchebag" but some folks don't care for it and think it's degrading to women. (namely, my mom) Personally, as a girl I find the word hilarious and it fits my needs just fine when the word "jerk" simply won't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.