Il Duce II

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Berlusconi's not only an idiot, but he doesn't know his history. Mussolini and Hitler were allies and ideological bedfellows long before 1938.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Berlusconi also defended Mussolini for allying himself with Adolf Hitler, saying he likely reasoned it would be better to be on the winning side...

"It is difficult now to put oneself in the shoes of who was making decisions back then," Berlusconi said of Mussolini's support for Hitler. "Certainly the (Italian) government then, fearing that German power would turn into a general victory, preferred to be allied with Hitler's Germany rather than oppose it."

So, basically, it's okay to agree with and participate in persecuting Jews, as long you're "winning side"?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The real question is how are the Italian trains doing these days?

Pretty good. The ones I've used did ran on time and were cheap - heavily subsidised I expect.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's not like anyone was under the illusion that Berlusconi had any principles, is it?
My Sicilian father-in-law is still convinced Berlusconi's a top fella who's been, and I quote, "set up by the communists".