Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilly1326001

Mmm... On a coffee high
Registered
Reaction score
I fully agree with the above, but when exactly do you oh-so-casually mention your age to an agent? Right when they offer representation doesn't sound so good.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't realize that I shouldn't mention that I am a teen author. You haven't had any luck with querying?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
The agent doesn't need to know that you're under-18 until they offer representation. Even then they only need to know because your parents will need to sign the contract to make it legally binding. Otherwise you're better off not mentioning your age. Agents and publishers don't care - if you can write to a publishable standard, they'll take you; if not, they won't.

Kyrie

Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately)
Registered
Reaction score
What Para said. I remember Kody telling me that her agent had no idea she was 17 until she said that her mom would need to cosign the contract.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Another question: is it a good or bad sign if an agent who promises to reply takes a long time to reply. I know it seems like a bad sign, but if an agent really hated your book, wouldn't they just reject you right away instead of procrastinating? If they take a long time doesn't that mean they're seriously considering your query? Just want an opinion.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I fully agree with the above, but when exactly do you oh-so-casually mention your age to an agent? Right when they offer representation doesn't sound so good.

Kody didn't mention her age until she got The Call. I don't have to worry about it anymore (I just turned 18), but if I'd gotten an offer while I was a teen, I probably would have done the same as her. Just say that you're under 18 but your parents are willing to cosign any contracts. If the agent loves your book, that's really the only issue with being a teen writer.

Oh, I didn't realize that I shouldn't mention that I am a teen author. You haven't had any luck with querying?

Me? No, the two novels I queried had horrible plot issues. The second one got a couple requests, but neither one had a central plot. I'm probably going to start querying for the third time sometime the end of this week.

The agent doesn't need to know that you're under-18 until they offer representation. Even then they only need to know because your parents will need to sign the contract as well as you. Otherwise you're better off not mentioning it. Agents and publishers don't care. If you can write to a publishable standard and behave like a professional, you're in regardless of your age. If not, they're not interested.

Listen to Para. She gives great advice. :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Another question: is it a good or bad sign if an agent who promises to reply takes a long time to reply. I know it seems like a bad sign, but if an agent really hated your book, wouldn't they just reject you right away instead of procrastinating? If they take a long time doesn't that mean they're seriously considering your query? Just want an opinion.

No. They could just be busy. They may not even have opened their query inbox for the last six weeks.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score

It's neither a bad sign or a good sign. If an agent's taking a long time to respond, it means they're busy and they just haven't gotten to your query yet.

ETA: Para! You're getting faster than me again. :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
It's neither a bad sign or a good sign. If an agent's taking a long time to respond, it means they're busy and they just haven't gotten to your query yet.

ETA: Para! You're getting faster than me again. :D

You and me and Kyrie are all cross-posting! We're like a triumvirate of ninja awesomeness.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
HR, someone on twitter told me that the police killed someone and it started out as a protest but it got bigger?

*hopes that other london twifties are alright*

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, Para. *hugs* I was wondering how the London twifties were doing. Are you okay? Why are they rioting?

It started out as a protest against a man shot dead by armed police, but it's become something incredibly sinister. There are organised gangs moving from place to place smashing up the high streets and looting all the shops. They're setting fire to cars and breaking into people's houses. The police are just overwhelmed. It's absolutely incredible.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, team. Slightly stressed. Hope my ninja partner Amna is okay.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Gone for an hour and I missed so much... That sounds terrible

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
This is the third night of rioting, and it's getting worse.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Got my teeth pulled today. It took 3 seconds and was surprisingly painless

Kyrie

Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately)
Registered
Reaction score

OTWOV

is Learning to Fly: solo
Registered
Reaction score
hey everyone, was wondering if anyone wanted to word war on here? start at 00:00 to go 00:30?

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
It started out as a protest against a man shot dead by armed police, but it's become something incredibly sinister. There are organised gangs moving from place to place smashing up the high streets and looting all the shops. They're setting fire to cars and breaking into people's houses. The police are just overwhelmed. It's absolutely incredible.

Good heavens, that is incredible. I'd be having a panic attack, I'm such a scaredy cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.