• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kirsten Manges Literary

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have info on Kirsten Manges Literary Agency? I couldn't find out much, except that she used to be with Curtis Brown and she has a $ on P and E.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know about her sale history?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:

Nifty little site. Pardon if this is redundant:

CLIENTS
Flip-Flopped: A Novel
Author: Jill Smolinski Genres: Chick Lit Publisher: Griffin; 1st ed edition (July 1, 2002) The story of Keeley Baker's adventures in Hawaii as she faces single motherhood, a fierce custody battle, a divorce lawyer who can't seem to leave the Summer of Love long enough to focus on Keeley's case, her duties as maid of honor for her best friend's wedding-and a once dormant volcano that's suddenly about to blow
View book at Amazon
pixel_clear.gif

A Rose for the Crown: A Novel
Author: Anne Easter Smith Genres: Historical Fiction Publisher: Touchstone (March 7, 2006) The tale of Kate Haute, the mother of the illegitimate children of the infamous King Richard III, who is reputed to have had his nephew, the boy-king Edward V, and the king's little brother murdered when Richard usurped the throne
View book at Amazon
pixel_clear.gif

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! She requested a full manuscript of my YA novel. It's probably earlier YA, in case anyone of the same genre is interested in submitting. She did say she only views things on an exclusive basis, and her response time now is about 4 weeks. I can't grant her exclusivity, because the manuscript is already out. I'll let you guys know if she wants me to send it anyway.

Ruby

Registered
Reaction score
does anyone know what her response time is for reading a partial that is not exclusive?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone deal with her lately or have an update? Thanks.

jenniiyq2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjennijames.com
I sent an equery to Kirsten Manges on Sat July 26th, she responded the following Monday with an exclusive on the full. I email back WITH the ms attached, and told her I couldn't give her an exclusive because other agents were currently reading it... I then told her she was welcome to read through it a bit, just to see if my writing was to her style or not. She responded a few minutes later with, Will have a look at it, just please inform her if I talk seriously with other agents so I don't waster her time. (It was a very nice letter)

jenniiyq2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjennijames.com
Hi, me again! I just got off the phone with Kirsten Manges... She is my new Agent! Super excited! LOLOL! I did not give her an exclusive, because I had already had other agents reading it. She read the full over the weekend and Couldn't help it called me yesterday to say she wanted to rep me... I gave her my answer today! she sounds amazingly cool! And SOOO nice! She's really excited and wants to get my book out to publishers ASAP!

Julianne Douglas

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! I met her at a conference and she is super nice. I'm sure you're in good hands! What type fiction do you write?

jenniiyq2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjennijames.com
Sorry!

I thought I was linked to this! i guess I wasn't.. I'm writing first person chicklit. I'm modernizing all 6 of the Jane Austen's for YA and using the same rural city to base all of the books around and using some of the same characters throughout.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, congrats, Jenni! :)

Queried Ms. Manges on the 8th of August...no reply as of yet.

jenniiyq2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjennijames.com
Thanks! I would requery her again after the 9th of September. She is on vacation at the moment. She usually responds right away, just so she can get the exclusive if she's interested. So it wouldn't hurt to resubmit. Here is my query that I used for anyone interested. This caught the notice of 5 other agents as well: (But i believe it was the part where I put --it had never been done before--that really drew them in.) I queried 50 agents in a two month period and it wasn't until I added that last bit... that they started really responding.

Dear...
In a world where drama is everything, Chloe Elizabeth Hart has found she cannot abide the conceited antics of the popular crowd. –Or more importantly, one very annoying self-possessed guy, Taylor Anderson, who is determined to make her the president of his fan club! As if! Every girl in the whole city of Farmington, New Mexico is in love with Taylor, but he seems to be only interested in her.

The reader laughs, simmers and loves with Chloe in the romantic high school roller coaster ride called Pride and Popularity. Chloe follows the same lines and battlefields drawn out by Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice two hundred years ago, with a much more modern twist:

~Instead of attending balls…its parties, dates and high school dances.
~Instead of letters…it’s passed notes, emails and cell phone calls.
~And instead of marriage proposals…its boyfriends, prom and gorgeous dresses!

I am a professional children’s theater director/playwright and have written and produced three full length (3-act) plays for children/teens, Cinderella (2006), The Greatest Fairy tale EVER! (2007) and Snow White a Tale of Envy (2008). This is my first novel. With my background in professional theater I have spoken in many public speaking events and theater seminars.

Please, let me know if you are interested in reading more of the completed 63,500 word count YA manuscript. Until then, I will continue working on its Jane Austen sequel Persuaded, which is set in the same rural city as Pride and Popularity. Being part of the world wide fan base of Austenites who love rewrites/sequels, I hope to modernize and recreate all six of the beloved Austen novels for teens. –Which has never been done before! As a mother of six, my ultimate goal is to present tweens/teens with an alternative to the ever popular chick lit novel on the shelves today, with good clean characters and positive heroes to emulate.

Below, I have included a brief synopsis and sample chapter.

Thank you, for your consideration and your time.
Sincerely,
Jenni James

Last edited:

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
Kirsten responded to me within a few hours, requesting a full. She did want an exclusive. Luckly, I was able to provide it and she promised to get back to me within two weeks. Pretty awesome of her, I think. That's incredibly fast.

Well, the two week mark is coming up very, very soon. So, I'll keep you all posted. I hope it's good news. She seems like an awesome agent to work with.

Fingers crossed!

churchillgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Very Good Luck, Renee. I had a similar quick turnaround with Ms. Manges, also for a request for the full manuscript. While I couldn't offer an exclusive (the full mss. is with another agent, requested way back in July and there has been no response, even after a polite inquiry this month!) I agreed to accept no offers until she had the requested 3-4 weeks to review the novel. That was fine with her. She seems like a delightful person and a good agent to have in one's corner. I hope Thanksgiving brings you an agent to be grateful for!

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
Thanks churchillgirl. :) Unfortunately, Ms. Manges got back to me with a polite and personalized no thanks.

Oh well, at least she honored the two week time frame. That's pretty awesome of her. I'm sure she would be great to work with.

chimita

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicabw.com
I just queried her and she requested a full within 30 min. She also wanted an exclusive, which I gave her.
let's see what happens :)
Now I'm with my fingers crossed