What is the name of this royal court person?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They did that (which is why coats of arms stuff is called 'heraldry'), but my vague memory is that they were also the ones who did the official announce. Stands to logic if they're the ones who know the coats of arms.

But I could be wrong, which is why I added the IIRC.

james1611

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamessomers.blogspot.com
don't you hate it when you just need a minor detail and can't find it?

Anyone else know the answer or think it's not a "Herald?"

I want to go with it, but would like to be sure :)
(it's really only one sentence~)
James

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Depending on the county, and time setting, it would/could be Herald but I think you're looking for the title of "Lord Chamberlain"... especially as you get towards the renaissance and 18th Century settings.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
well, when I looked "Herald" up on wikipedia it said they were masters of coats of arms, not royal announcers...is that wrong?

No; "herald" refers to both "the person who figures out coats of arms" and "the person who makes announcements in a royal court".

And you didn't read the Wikipedia article very carefully, because it even says that "In the United Kingdom heralds are still called upon at times to read proclamations publicly."

The Wikipedia article is focused on "herald" as a job title of today, not as an historic occupation. In today's royal courts, the person who announces the guests at big events does so over a public-address system, and they're a professional announcer (usually a voice-over artist or radio personality) who does it behind the scenes at the direction of the event planners; in the royal courts of the past, heralds were people with loud voices and a good sense of court protocols.

ReneC

Relapsed insomniac :(
Registered
Reaction score
The Lord Stewart announces guests to royalty during ceremonies and State banquets. Not sure about the day-to-day, but when officially greeting a group of guests the guests are usually present before the Royals enter.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with 'herald.'

However, it might also be a 'master of ceremonies.'

The functions of various types of servants has changed over time. Originally a butler's function was solely to control the distribution of wine (bottler). Later, the butler became head servant, and as such was responsible for greeting guests, but still is in special control of the wine cellar.

'herald' as a verb, means to go in front of something or someone to announce it. That is the original function of the 'herald.'

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The Lord Stewart announces guests to royalty during ceremonies and State banquets.

Do you mean the Lord Steward? That's an extremely high office, and he's responsible for the overall management of the royal households--the comptrollers and treasurers of the households report to him, etc. My guess is that he probably delegates announcements, etc., to members of his staff for all but the most formal occasions.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
You can use...

major-domo 1589, via It. maggiordomo or Sp. mayordomo, from M.L. major domus "chief of the household," also "mayor of the palace" under the Merovingians, from L. major "greater" + gen. of domus "house" (see domestic). a man in charge of a great household, as that of a sovereign; a chief steward.

the steward or major-domo of a medieval great house.

He used to stand at the doorway to the ball room or great hall or where ever with a carved stick which he thumped on the ground and then called out the names of the people entering.