New Guinea Woman Burned For Being A Witch

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A woman accused of sorcery was tortured, burned and set on fire on Wednesday in Mount Hagen in the Western Highlands of Papua New Guinea, reports Australia’s Courier Mail.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/02/07...witchcraft-in-papua-new-guinea/#ixzz2KPlDJgay

Link Safe, no graphic photos

I saw this a quick blurb on the newsticker while watching the news. There were quite a few articles online but I was honestly too afraid to click the links because most warned of graphic photos.

The idea of this still happening in thw world in this day and age is heartbreaking. Ridiculous stereotypes are still so prevalent and resulting in death.

I know I bitched in the thread about Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters and stories like this only reinforce my intense dislike of the media's hurtful and negative portrayal of witches. I do know that it is doubtful those movies are seen in the highlands of New Guinea, but the fearful view of witches sadly is everywhere.

My heart goes out to that poor woman and how she suffered.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Disgusting. Sad. Tragic.

I think it's more about misogyny, however:

“The accusations of sorcery,” Manjoo said, “are commonly used to take away women’s land and/or their property.”

A representative of the U.S. embassy in the capital Port Moresby has condemned the killing of Ms. Leniata as “brutal murder” and evidence of “pervasive gender-based violence” in Papua New Guinea, according to the BBC.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
That is terribly sad. My heart goes out the woman and her family.

It is still common for this to happen throughout parts of Africa and even South America. I agree that the label of witchcraft is still used as a tool to attack women, but children are also abused and murdered from the stigma as well.

It falls more heavily on our shoulders, as practitioners of the original faith, to be model representations of the craft. The more people see that we are filled with light, love, and peace, the more our faith barges out of the broom closet and into the mainstream.

I've made myself a target locally. I placed a pentacle and a Love the Goddess plaque on the back bumper of my minivan. The looks I get are a mixed bag: tentative smiles, dirty looks, or a negative head shake. But I just smile warmly and say HELLO. Have a wonderful and happy day.

It's been enlightening. Especially at my daughter's school. Cackle™

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've always been open about being a witch and wear a pentacle bracelet. At my last job most people were fine with it but some used to whisper to my boss, "She's not really a witch is she?" His answer, "She sure is, why?" That usually shut them up. A few used to give me weird looks afterwards but never said anything else about it.