Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

I got this : You may not upload animated images.

Yes.

Because you may not. In fact, Mac may decide that your animated sig file is a little on the large size.

Animated gifs are problems for at least two reasons:

1. They flicker and annoy many members; especially members with seizure issues.

2. They consume local resources at the users end; if the user is on an older computer and/or dialup, this can slow things down for them because of the way older browsers work.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189978

BeThatAsItMay

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yes.

Because you may not. In fact, Mac may decide that your animated sig file is a little on the large size.

That's no problem. Size can be reduced.

Animated gifs are problems for at least two reasons:

1. They flicker and annoy many members; especially members with seizure issues.

2. They consume local resources at the users end; if the user is on an older computer and/or dialup, this can slow things down for them because of the way older browsers work.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189978

1 Flickers can be smoothed out. I cant believe someone gets a seizure from an animated gif

2 No one uses a dial up connections anymore

And for my avatar I just want to animate my nickname by the series of slow moving words - I pride myself on using arts - I shouldn't suffer

BeThatAsItMay

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
but everyone else should put up with flashing signatures and avatars, lol?

WWW is full of it. I guess it doesn't stop you browsing.

And the frame rate can be reduced so it is more pleasing on eyes.

Is only flashing annoying you or there is something else? I'd like to know it for my personal work with animations.

Last edited:

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WWW is full of it. I guess it doesn't stop you browsing.

And the frame rate can be reduced so it is more pleasing on eyes.

Is only flashing annoying you or there is something else? I'd like to know it for my personal work with animations.
they remind me of adverts, really.

:)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sorry :)

Hang in there... you'll likely go through a lot of different signatures and avatars during your time here... welcome to AW, btw.

Deleted member 42

1 Flickers can be smoothed out. I cant believe someone gets a seizure from an animated gif

The problem of triggering seizures and migraines is so well known that Apple Computer and the University of California at UCLA, of two places I've worked in IT, does not allow them at all.

And, yes, they can trigger seizures.

And yes, members do complain.

Funny, as Admin for this server, I know we have hundreds of dialup users from all over the world.

And many of them are on older computers.

And for my avatar I just want to animate my nickname by the series of slow moving words - I pride myself on using arts - I shouldn't suffer

But you're fine with everyone else suffering for your art?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
To be honest, OP, I didn't read any of your posts before now cos that bloody ball got right on my nerves. It was extremely distracting.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't see it. If anyone here is ever doing a migraine study, I'm your gal ;) My triggers are almost exclusively sensory, and some will do it every single time.

I could explain what all (like animated gifs) will cause me a migraine, but folks usually find it completely boring, lol. And it's different for different folks, anyway.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Yes, I found the red ball annoying as well. And a lot of the other animated gif's people use annoy me too. I usually scroll just far enough when I see one to avoid looking at it to read a post. And the bigger they are, the more distracting they become.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, BTAIM took it away, so I think he/she has gotten the point.

There are other signatures that have compelled me to turn them off altogether which is actually helpful when browsing on my phone. Sometimes I forget to turn them back on, though... Generally speaking, I like seeing what people are working on and funny quotes that people put in their sigs.

:)

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
It's weird why animated avatars are so annoying.

Logically, of course, I shouldn't be so annoyed by them. There is animation everywhere else. So why should they be different?

I think it's because on this board it is displayed next to the text that I'm trying to read - the post. So any animation next to it is basically saying

"LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME ..."

continually while I'm trying to read the thing adjacent to it.

It means that if I see an post with an animation next to it I just scroll past the post until it is no longer on my screen .. which may (unfortunately) mean that I miss out on the adjacent posts as well.

I know - it isn't fair. And if we were discussing ways to cure cancer then I'd be more diligent. But I read here to relax and have enjoyable conversations .. so an annoying toddler saying "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME" is just going to make me wander over to another room to relax.

It isn't as if it's migraine inducing or anything for me ... it just makes me want to go elsewhere.

Not a drama - but you can see why they'd try to prevent people from using animated avatars.

Good luck!

Mac

Deleted member 42

There's a reason we don't allow members to upload them . . .

no-man's-land

Registered
Reaction score
This may be a piece useful information: if you keep the flicker rate between 16 and and 25 Hz it is sort of ok and only children between 9 and 15 years of age predominantly female are effected.

So avoid places where children gather .

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score

"Avoid writing on topics you have no knowledge of or haven't properly researched."

From The Book of Things Writers Should Know.

Status
Not open for further replies.