pitching stories this time of year

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I recently pitched a few stories, but I am worried a little with all the holidays coming up that I won't get the quick responses I am hoping for. Are you guys pitching right now? Having any luck? Just thought I would check in with my fellow writers to see how the season is treating you.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't even know what you mean by pitching stories? I may pitch a novel, but never a short story.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Oh shoot. I meant to post this in the freelance section. I don't know how to get it moved, but if a mod sees this, can you help me out?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You did post this in Freelance. However, since you reference "stories" it was moved to Short Fiction. Did you mean articles? Essays?

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I see what you mean. You're subbing short stories at the moment but you're worried that because of Christmas and other seasonal holidays you'll have to wait longer than average to receive your acceptances or rejections. Is that right?

names

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of the places are closed for submissions towards november and december. It seems they stock a lot before decemeber.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Bah. I pitch stories with regularity. Straight into the wastebasket. Makes good starter material for the fireplace, which is pretty much their best possible use.

caw

Hate to admit it, but there are times when I think I'd be better off pitching a few myself. I suspect it's a good thing I don't have a fireplace. I might be tempted to pitch all sorts of things into it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Back on topic, you may not receive timely responses when pitching now, but you'll still receive news faster than those who wait to pitch after the holidays.

It's always first come, first serve, no matter what time of year you submit/pitch/query.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I did mean pitching articles and for this to be in the freelance section.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Well, no matter what you're pitching, just pitch year-round, unless it's for a market that specifically states, closed until ... date.

Then get it ready for that date. Otherwise, keep pitching regardless of time of year.

FCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
definingyourhome.blogspot.com
It depends.

If you're pitching to a print glossy magazine, a year in advance is best timing. For example, if you're writing about a holiday (food, travel, etc.), pitch it a year before that holiday. So, gather your materials and research now for the Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years stories to be printed for 2013/14.