UK: Same sex marriage passed House of Commons

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
The measure passed 400-175, which is a sizeable majority for the measure. About half of the Tories voted for the measure, and half voted against it.

The bill still needs to pass through the anacronistic and undemocratic House of Lords, but some say that with this kind of majority there won't be that much of an issue. Or there may be. I don't know. Trying to predict the Lords is like trying to predict tea-leaves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220
MPs have approved same-sex marriage in England and Wales in a key Commons vote, despite the opposition of almost half the Conservative MPs.

The Commons voted in favour of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, by 400 to 175, a majority of 225, at the end of a full day's debate on the bill.

Prime Minister David Cameron has described the move as "an important step forward" that strengthens society.

Early voting lists show that 136 Conservatives opposed the bill.

K.L. Bennett

A floopy flolloper
Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff! The more this happens internationally, the more obvious it will be to those still clinging to their "American values" over here how out of touch they really are. Well, I hope, anyway...

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Great news. Hopefully it'll pass through the Lords as well.

Should never have taken this long in the first place but hopefully this will be the first in many other places granting it too.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
The bill still needs to pass through the anacronistic and undemocratic House of Lords, but some say that with this kind of majority there won't be that much of an issue. Or there may be. I don't know. Trying to predict the Lords is like trying to predict tea-leaves.

The Lords -- even supposing a majority are against it, which is questionable -- won't vote down a bill with the support of all mainstream parties and a 400-175 majority, as they would likely be slitting their own throats. And if they did, the Commons would probably invoke the Parliament Act (1949), which would mean the bill becoming law after a delay of one year.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The Lords -- even supposing a majority are against it, which is questionable -- won't vote down a bill with the support of all mainstream parties and a 400-175 majority, as they would likely be slitting their own throats. And if they did, the Commons would probably invoke the Parliament Act (1949), which would mean the bill becoming law after a delay of one year.
Conveniently, it apparently takes about a year to plan a big fancy wedding. :D

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
A concern would be if Cameron decides it's too much hassle and the fight would take up too much Parliamentary time. He could get the Bill withdrawn. In fact, I think that's quite likely. Number of liberal social bills passed by Tory governments over the years = not very many.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm... I don't know. I think he might go with this one as it's pretty popular with the public and he doesn't have to spend any money. So he looks good all round

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
A concern would be if Cameron decides it's too much hassle and the fight would take up too much Parliamentary time. He could get the Bill withdrawn. In fact, I think that's quite likely. Number of liberal social bills passed by Tory governments over the years = not very many.

I don't think he'll do that; it would make him look weak. (He is weak, but he hates to look it.)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... great news. But I have to say, it makes me a bit ashamed of my own country.
Why aren't we doing something like this here in the USA?
Makes the country feel like a throwback from the stone age era.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Also relevant - the Guardian has a full list of how every MP voted. Mine was against. Might be arsed to go and vote against him next chance I get now...

Mine was against. Unfortunately I'm already unable to lower my opinion of him. Or change my vote. Maybe I should diss him on Twitter or something.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Mine abstained. I'd like to know why. As she's having a constituency evening in a month's time, I'm inclined to go along and ask her.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So...can someone explain why it's a UK governmental body making this vote, but it only affects people in England and Wales? I tried to look it up but I didn't really succeed.

... great news. But I have to say, it makes me a bit ashamed of my own country.
Why aren't we doing something like this here in the USA?
Makes the country feel like a throwback from the stone age era.

UK has had civil unions for same-sex couples since 2004. Feel worse?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So...can someone explain why it's a UK governmental body making this vote, but it only affects people in England and Wales? I tried to look it up but I didn't really succeed.

UK has had civil unions for same-sex couples since 2004. Feel worse?

Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own devolved parliaments that handle this issue. Scotland will have same sex marriage probably at about the same time. Northern Ireland will probably take another decade to get it.

The powers over the issue are devolved to these other local parliaments, and the Westminster Parliament could - on this issue - be seen as another local parliament for England and Wales.

To even FURTHER confuse the issue, because the English do like their odd procedures and administrative orders (which is another thing to like about them), there is a local parliament in Wales. However, that local parliament has different devolved powers than the local parliament in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own devolved parliaments that handle this issue. Scotland will have same sex marriage probably at about the same time. Northern Ireland will probably take another decade to get it.

The powers over the issue are devolved to these other local parliaments, and the Westminster Parliament could - on this issue - be seen as another local parliament for England and Wales.

To even FURTHER confuse the issue, because the English do like their odd procedures and administrative orders (which is another thing to like about them), there is a local parliament in Wales. However, that local parliament has different devolved powers than the local parliament in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

So, does the UK Parliament have elected officials from Scotland and N.I. in it? And is this like in the US how some things are for state govt to decide, and others are for national govt to decide? You're right, this is confusing.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So, does the UK Parliament have elected officials from Scotland and N.I. in it? And is this like in the US how some things are for state govt to decide, and others are for national govt to decide? You're right, this is confusing.

Yes. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21345322

Northern Ireland has 13 MPs. Nine voted against, two abstained, and two voted for. Scotland too has their own MPs. But right now, I don't know how many they have, and how the vote broke down.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Also relevant - the Guardian has a full list of how every MP voted. Mine was against. Might be arsed to go and vote against him next chance I get now...
Interestingly, my constituency is Milton Keynes North - Tory MP voted against. Milton Keynes South MP is the openly gay Tory Iain Stewart...