Hello From The UK

rubyhoney

Submit, submit, submit
Registered
Reaction score
And another hello from London!
I'm from Yorkshire by birth, but - risky though it is to admit it - feel more at home in London these days. (Another northern exile friend claims this is "the love that dare not speak its name".)

Last edited:

Viklit

Registered
Reaction score
A newbie and a Londoner! Quite enjoyed the 4 day Jubilee weekend I must say. Now it'll be all Olympics madness....

Tasha

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh a UK thread. I'm from Scotland myself. About 2 hours drive from all the hills :)

Viklit

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh a UK thread. I'm from Scotland myself. About 2 hours drive from all the hills :)
Beautiful Scotland! The boyf is from Glasgow so we visit when we can. Lucky you being near the lovely hills!

Tasha

Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful Scotland! The boyf is from Glasgow so we visit when we can. Lucky you being near the lovely hills!

Don't get to go there that often but me and the fiancée do have a vacation planned in july. It's basically a writing retreat in the hills for us both lol.

Also it's not very pretty when it rains or the wildlife decide to chase you. lol

Pip H

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to see a UK thread (with so many pages D: XD )

I'm originally from Chester, but now live in Halifax, West Yorkshire.
(Loving the Yorkshire accent up here, everyone sounds so friendly!)

Love travelling around the UK, though mainly the big cities, it certainly changes things up a bit. (Love Manchester, Birmingham, London...going to big places and potentially getting lost is kinda fun lol)

Pip H

Registered
Reaction score
973? Is it about King Edgar by any chance? :)
(I'm usually not too big on Cestrian history aside from the Roman walls and things like that...I wonder if it was still called Deva in 973...)

Chester has such a rich history, and it's still seen around the town centre, it's quite a beautiful place. (Maybe I'm biased as it's my hometown though lol)

Thanks for the welcome ~

PineMarten

A real pine marten!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm also in the UK, specifically Oxford. I just came back after just over six years in Japan, so I'm relearning British culture. Sure rains a lot... :)

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Hello! I'm originally from Matlock in Derbyshire but moved up to the big city (errr... Sheffield) for Uni.

Any Matlockers/Sheffielders out there?

sprogspasser

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Just joined these august boards. Based in London. Well Greater London (what previously used to Middlesex). Debate from time to time, with my London walks friend what should be on the fourth plinth. The ship in the bottle was quite good. Not too sure about the rocking horse.

Don't know about mild but can certainly recommend the wheat beer at Chandos (usually followed by a sea food dinner at Wonkey). The first sip of the amber liquid always reminds me of bubble gum.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Time I said Hello!

I'm in West London when not in Florida. Unfortunately not much Florida-ing these days, but yay for Chiswick!:)

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
I live in central London (after years in the scruffier parts of zone 2).

I'm spending this week at the Swanwick Writers' Summer School in Derbyshire -- anyone else?

FYI, the talks are pretty good, and the people very friendly (though it's all a bit overwhelming for someone used to working alone at home every day!).

Barking Tree

Registered
Reaction score
Just joined from Staffordshire. According to the signposts, it's the 'Creative County' but at the moment I would personally beg to differ. Hey wait! "It was a dark and stormy night..." - that's a great opening line! Now I'm rolling...