America and Britain may be losing their rights, but at least other countries aren't. Right? Right?..

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
This is a school where they staff are expected to keep minors safe. I think that is a bit different from the government installing a camera in your living room. I think it has more to with drug use and bullying being taken more seriously than in previous years.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
This is a school where they staff are expected to keep minors safe. I think that is a bit different from the government installing a camera in your living room. I think it has more to with drug use and bullying being taken more seriously than in previous years.
What's the root cause? Why are those things on the increase? How do we stop that? It's not going to be stopped by cameras in the bathrooms.

This is a bandaid solution, and a poor one at that.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
What's the root cause? Why are those things on the increase? How do we stop that? It's not going to be stopped by cameras in the bathrooms.

This is a bandaid solution, and a poor one at that.

Don, how is it you know this is not going to help the problem? I think it probably would be a big help. It would be easier to catch and identify kids who were doing it. Why is this sort of thing happening in the bathroom anyway? Probably because the staff isnt there. When I was in school, kids were destroying the bathroom facility, too, and it was a huge problem, because no one knew who was doing it, and everyone felt they were being blamed. We had a school assembly about it, and it was never really resolved.

As for the root cause...why do kids use drugs? Why do kids bully each other? They didn't have a simple answer to those questions when my parents were in school, either. While they're trying to figure that out, they need to do something about the problem itself.

Last edited:

Kathleen_

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I think the whole school power inequity system is...troubling, if only because it teaches kids to follow a hierarchy from the get go and it takes a LONG time to get rid of that notion...

clip_image001.gif

In my culture we are BORN into a hierarchy and I've never thought it was a notion that could be gotten rid of while maintaining a feasible society.

The school isn't the parents of these children, most of them have their own parent/s/caregiver/s at home. A college gets kids when they're about 13 or so and you can't expect the teachers to 'fix' all the kids. Yeah, they might be allowed to expel them (if they know who they are and have proof beyond he said/she said) but there comes a point where we have to stop blaming schools for how children have been raised. So many other factors go into it. Yes, a teacher can do amazing things and have a HUGE influience but they can't do everything. The root cause of this behaviour probably isn't in the school, it will be in the home and community at large.

As for those saying it won't make a difference, the article says it made a difference at Naenae College so why not at Wainuiomata? Are the two colleges so different?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, there are loads of non-hierarchical systems of governance that we've never tried because they've been labeled untenable.

Usually by those who are in power in the hierarchical systems.