What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
Starting ANGEL FIRE. I can already tell it's heading toward a love triangle, which makes me sad. But, Mexico! Major characters that are Latino! Spanish cuss words! make me happy after the last book I read reminded me too much of the scary twist in After Dachau, so hopefully it'll balance out.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Got some library books, so I'm putting aside INCARNATE for a while. Not sure which I'll be starting instead.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
adktd2bks:
That sounds like fun!!

It is. It rockets along at a great pace, is very dark in places and Oliver has much more of a spine in this than he ever did in the Dickens original (thank goodness because he's such an inspid twonk in that book).

adktd2bks:
I was actually bored to tears with this one. A lot of the Ripper stuff doesn't come into play until the middle of the book and by then what do you have but a girl who's getting acquainted with a new school and new friends? It was a unique concept, but it just felt like it could have been done so much better.

I've heard a number of people say that about it, but I picked up a copy because Waterstones were doing a special promotion on it so it only cost £1.

MM

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
It is. It rockets along at a great pace, is very dark in places and Oliver has much more of a spine in this than he ever did in the Dickens original (thank goodness because he's such an inspid twonk in that book).

I've heard a number of people say that about it, but I picked up a copy because Waterstones were doing a special promotion on it so it only cost £1.

MM
Yeah Maureen keeps tweeting about it. So jealous!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
THIEF'S COVENANT by Ari Marmell

Yeah, so far it's fall short of expectations, but I'm continuing hopefully on

CinthiaX

Storyteller of epic absurdity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Just finished the Host by Stef Meyer. Finally realized what makes her books so popular. It's her protagonists: people you tend to want to know what happens to in the end. I wonder if it's a gift or if it can be learnt??

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Cinder. I really enjoyed it. I was actually surprised by how long it took me to read because I usually read pretty quickly, but there was so much packed in that it took me a little longer to finish. I especially loved that it was written in 3rd person. It was such a refreshingly well-written change of pace from all the 1st person I've been reading.

Next up is probably Pandemonium.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finished OLIVER TWISTED by J. D Sharpe, which I really enjoyed and it has the potential for a sequel, which I'd definitely check out.

I've just started RUNELIGHT by Joanne Harris, which is a sequel to her bestseller RUNEMARKS set 3 years after the events in that book, where the returned Nordic Gods face new threats. I loved the original and so far the sequel is shaping up to be equally as good.

MM

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished FOREVER by Maggie Stiefvater. After a long wait before I could get my hands on this one (£1.99 at The Works, kerching!) I finally finished the Wolves of Mercy Falls series - the first ever paranormal romance I actually liked! Forever was so good, and sad, and I can't wait for the movie :)
And I <3 Sam Roth...

Confidenceiskey

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading City of Ashes by Cassie Clare. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did the first one because it feels like Clare has settled into the story.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who found the second book more interesting. She sort of really started to flow in the second book and since I found the secondary characters more interesting than her main characters I was really glad she started to develop them in the later books. I love her Magnus Bane.

Ygramul

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Inheritance by Christopher Paolini and Secret Fire by Dennis Young.

Next ones will be Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory and Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card.

KYcactus

Registered
Reaction score
WHERE THINGS COME BACK by John Corey Whaley. Probably halfway through. Enjoying very much, and I'm curious where all of this is leading. I very much enjoy the dueling narrative storylines. Those remind me (a little) of HOLES by Louis Sachar in that it is a separate story with very different style and leading to a meeting of both storylines (I assume). I like how the main character Cullen Witter has a very distinct and recognizable voice in first person. The other storyline is more distant and third person.

I think this is a wonderful book, but I'm impressed it found an agent and a publisher. Paint me cynical. It almost seems too smart and too deep and maybe too slow for what a lot of agents are looking for. I'm reading and enjoying and not complaining though. Kudos to Ken Wright at Writers House.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Just started The Chaos by Nalo Hopkinson. I received an ARC in the mail and I'd never heard of it until then. It's very unique so far... there's a polyamorous trio and a promiscuous bi-racial MC that is very sympathetic and not demonized. A lot of good stuff so far, but I'm finding the dialogue hard to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.