What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivalalauren

Registered
Reaction score
Was reading Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma, but I think I'll have to stop. The writing is gorgeous, but the brother is making me want to shake him. I don't see how he's likable at all.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Re-started Jellicoe Road 2 hours ago and I'm already 1/3 of the way through. I think this is the fastest that I've ever read, which is weird considering that it took me 2 weeks to get through it the first time around.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I'm reading An Off Year, by Claire Zulkey. I've been a fan of her online writing for a while, so I figured it was time I read her novel. It's verrrrry quiet and insular -- basically, it's the protagonist's journey of self-discovery as to why she just couldn't go to college when she was "supposed to." Fortunately, I'm a big fan of "quiet books" and I find this one to be really compelling.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start an ARC of BROTHER/SISTER by Sean Olin, which is a YA psychological thriller released in the UK on 4 August. I know absolutely nothing about this book so am looking forward to being surprised.

MM

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by e. lockhart.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I've just been sent a review copy of Blood Ninja 2: Revenge of Lord Oda by Nick Lake, who is a UK writer though the novel was first published in the USA. (This copy came from the UK publisher - I seem to be on their mailing list for some reason.) I know nothing about it except the obvious, that it's a sequel to Blood Ninja, which I haven't read. Has anyone read either of them?

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Jellicoe Road last night. I loved it much more than the first time around. In fact, looking at all the books I've read over the past 3 years I'd probably say that it's my favorite. I was sobbing at the end. Literally sobbing.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Hunger Games in about 4 hours yesterday. I'm waiting on Mockingjay from the library. Ordered Gone by Michael Grant from Amazon since I was 4th in the queue to place it on hold at the library.

DrunkenLilacs

Growing tipsier as we speak
Registered
Reaction score
Ordered Gone by Michael Grant from Amazon since I was 4th in the queue to place it on hold at the library.

you won't be disappointed. i think it's the best in the entire series so far.

LeafintheBreeze

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by e. lockhart.

Finished that book a few days ago... I didn't love it like I wanted to, sadly. But considering I started it a year ago and have been reading it off and on since then, that might be the reason why I found it hard to get into. I think one of the things that bugged me was that there was just too much dialogue and not enough description of the characters' surroundings. I felt like the book sometimes suffered from "talking head syndrome."

However, when I actually sat down and finished the last hundred pages or so I had left, I found it relatively entertaining. Just sad I didn't like it more, since it seemed like my kind of book.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished that book a few days ago... I didn't love it like I wanted to, sadly. But considering I started it a year ago and have been reading it off and on since then, that might be the reason why I found it hard to get into. I think one of the things that bugged me was that there was just too much dialogue and not enough description of the characters' surroundings. I felt like the book sometimes suffered from "talking head syndrome."

However, when I actually sat down and finished the last hundred pages or so I had left, I found it relatively entertaining. Just sad I didn't like it more, since it seemed like my kind of book.

I wasn't all that crazy about either, though I can't pinpoint why.

gayle12

Write. Edit. Publish. Repeat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gaylefmoffet.com
I just finished Wild Child by Mike Wells and really enjoyed it. Very plot-oriented and very easy to read. I think it'd do well for reluctant readers. Next up, I think I'm going to knock on the second, third, and fourth books in the "Face on the Milk Carton" series and then circle back to the last few years and pick up something a little newer.

Gayle

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Gave up on LA W3atherly's ANG3L. Life's too short to be bored.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just picked up Wildefire by Karsten Knight today --- in hard cover (I'm trying to do 1 kobo/1 print). I'm really loving it. Just 40 pages in, but already glad it's the first of 3.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Okay, so I'm cleaning my shelves to make room because I'm about to reward myself with a huge Amazon shopping spree. :D I'm an impulsive book buyer and went a little crazy on a trip to Florida back in winter of 2010. Or someone bought me some of these. Or something. Here's what's on my TBR stand from all the stuff I went through. I can't believe I own so many books I haven't read. Scary. (And these are just the YA / MG... I have another list for the adult stuff.)

-- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
-- City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
-- Evermore by Alyson Noel
-- Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
-- Tithe by Holly Black
-- Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires) by Rachel Caine
-- Kiss of Life by Daniel Waters*
-- Evernight by Claudia Gray
-- The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

* I read Daniel Waters first Generation Dead book and was very impressed. I meant to read this a lot sooner, but misplaced it.

So... Where do I start? :D I bought these for a variety of reasons ranging from "Well I like Greek myth so I'll give this a go", to "Okay. Syndil is grumbling I haven't read Twilight yet." to "Why not? It's on sale."

They need to be read -- or at least started -- so that I can either assign them to my keeper shelves or donate them to the library. (I have two four shelf high bookcases that are as tall as I am in my bedroom where I keep only what I feel is the *best of the best -- for me* of books, music, etc.)

Any suggestions on where to begin are welcome. :)

(Oh, I also have Catching Fire and Mockingjay waiting, too. My brother bought both of them after I loaned him The Hunger Games and he's already finished all three books. I know I originally said I had no plans to buy them. But now I can read them for free and I'm wondering whether or not I should.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I finished BROTHER/SISTER by Sean Olin. It's a good idea - a brother and sister each recounting how they reached a particular event and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in unreliable narrators because there are questions raised about each one. I'm not sure that the final twist quite works and I never really believed in the brother who was just too OTT for me. But it is an interesting book and I'd recommend checking it out.

I've started an ARC of A TANGLE OF MAGICKS by Stephanie Burgis, which is a sequel to A MOST IMPROPER MAGICK and is released in the UK on 4th August. I'm enjoying it so far although everything's gone horribly wrong for the MC.

MM

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
just finished Forbidden (Tabitha Suzuma), and... okay, I loved the story and the family dynamics and the in-depth look into all of the characters. But... the writing just grated on me. She repeated herself sooo much. In dialogue, the character would repeat the same line over and over 'It's alright, it's alright, it's alright. It's really alright.' And in description, she'd use the same lines to describe the same feelings over and over. And also the guy cried soooo often, it just started to feel melodramatic rather than dramatic.

So... I dunno. I really wanted to love this. It is a unique story and a great idea and I enjoyed the characters. But... meh

Status
Not open for further replies.