• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Curtis Brown, Ltd. (USA)

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Samara, I've done almost too many revise-and-re-submits to count. None of them ended in offers of rep. One of the revisions I really really didn't want to do, but I so loved the agent--30+ years in the biz, numerous big-time authors --I went ahead and did it. For that one, I ended up getting . . . (the memory's still oh-so-fresh and painful) . . . a two-line form rejection on the revision. The agent had just changed agencies and wasn't taking on any new authors at that time.

That's awful! There's nothing worse than form rejections on fulls - especially fulls revised to order! I've done a couple of revisions and resubmits in the past (on other manuscripts) and it's gotten me nowhere. Once I've revised everything an agent asked me to revise, they've always managed to find some other reason why the novel doesn't work for them. I'm hoping that the right agent will be one who likes my work enough to want to work on revisions with me - and that those revisions won't completely alter the structure of my work!

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Samara
I received that same reply for Ms. Lapolla back in September. She was on the fence about my novel. She loved the suspense, the characters, the plot but in the end she felt it needed a major rewrite into something I never intended it to be. (This was after a short revise she suggested to help the pace of the book)
I thought for weeks about the rewrite and disappointment. In the end I decided to listen to my gut and have not done the rewrite because even after doing months of work (which I'm not afraid to do) she still may not have offered to rep me. To this day I am grateful for her input and feed back but it is an awful feeling getting so far and then being turned down. It's even harder watching other writers getting representation while still reworking their book with the agent
You are not alone.
I know what I've written is good and it's the story I wanted to tell. Someday an agent will feel the same why.

Big Bear

Thanks Big Bear! :)

I have nothing but nice things to say about Sarah LaPolla. She's given me some great feedback and has been great at communicating with me. But in the end, as much as she praised my writing, she obviously didn't love it enough to want to take a risk on it as it stands. And I can't take a risk at the moment that by rewriting it, I'll get an offer of rep from her. I just don't have the time to rewrite this novel and work on my new WIP and the new WIP has to come first right now!

GLaDOScore

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a partial request from Ginger Clark! She represents Patricia Wrede, one of my favorite authors from childhood! For those of you who want stats, not exclamation marks, the timing looks like this:

E-query: 1 July 2011
Request for first 50 pages: 18 July 2011

Yay! :D

GLaDOScore

Registered
Reaction score
Go, Chocolate Potato! Ginger Clark is one the agents I'd love to query, as soon as I'm out of publishing limbo. Do keep us posted on your progress.

Publishing limbo? Sounds scary (or dull)...

Thanks, Filagree, and I'll let you guys know what happens. :)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Publishing limbo is terrifying. And dull. At least when I was querying and getting rejections bounced off my nose, I could trudge on to the next name on my list. Because I'm contractually bound to give a publisher right of first refusal, and they're taking their time, I'm stuck finishing up other projects. And I don't have an agent yet, which gives me a little more heartburn.

Ah, well, at least I get to watch other people's progress.

Good luck with Ginger, and may she love your partial!

flygal716

Jump in the way of good luck
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone here queried/worked with Laura Blake Peterson or Mitchell Waters at CB? I've written a mystery, and note that both agents are interested in that genre. I'm wondering which one to query first and appreciate any and all experiences by the AW crowd out there.

Thanks much! (first post here at the water cooler)

PhotoHutch

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Their website states to send snail mail queries to the generic "Query Department", but I've noticed that many of you have sent to specific agents via snail mail. Query tracker claims the individual agents I'm thinking about (G. Knowlton and L B Peterson) both accept snail mail queries. Any suggestions, do I send it generic, addressed to the agent of choice, or to Query Department and Dear Ms So and So?

Thanks!

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Their website states to send snail mail queries to the generic "Query Department", but I've noticed that many of you have sent to specific agents via snail mail. Query tracker claims the individual agents I'm thinking about (G. Knowlton and L B Peterson) both accept snail mail queries. Any suggestions, do I send it generic, addressed to the agent of choice, or to Query Department and Dear Ms So and So?

Thanks!

I'd pick one and personalize your query as much as possible. Then, if that agent passes, you can wait a few months and try the other agent at the agency (again, with as much personalization as possible, just so they don't think you're firing shotgun rounds). I don't believe Curtis Brown is one of those a-no-from-one-of-us-is-a-no-from-all kind of agencies.

Best of luck!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Chocolate Potato, did you ever hear back on your partial to Ginger Clark?

I got permission from Del Rey to shop my mms to other agents and editors in mid-August, and queried Ginger on August 24. Since she usually gets back to people within a few weeks, I've counted this one as a rejection.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Chocolate Potato, did you ever hear back on your partial to Ginger Clark?

I got permission from Del Rey to shop my mms to other agents and editors in mid-August, and queried Ginger on August 24. Since she usually gets back to people within a few weeks, I've counted this one as a rejection.

She's a no response=no on queries. However, she always tweets her query review status.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
It should also be noted that the Frankfurt Book Fair is taking place right now, and a good number of agents are over there, and as such may be behind on their normal response times.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
FYI, her last query status tweet said:

Authors: I am caught up on emailed queries sent before 11:59 PM EDT on 9/30. I won't look at queries until I'm back from Frankfurt on 10/17.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
This may be a dumb question, but does anyone have contact info for Holly Frederick? She's in film literary. You can rep or PM me, and the world will only know your awesomeness. :)

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
So I have a question and a dilemma that I hope some people might be able to help me with.

I queried Sarah LaPolla a while back and heard nothing back. She then tweeted that she was caught up on queries until a certain date and that if you had not heard back re-send. I resent and pretty much the same thing happened. Another tweet to resend if no response. I normally would not care too much but based on her tweeting and what I have been able too gather she might be perfect for my book. I thought that maybe my query was getting eaten by a spam filter although there are no attachments so I resent one more time through another email address. Yet again, no response. She seems to have a responds to all queries policy so I am trying to figure out what to do.

Should I try and query again? Using another non-gmail account. Should I just write it off? Any advice would be great.

PamHarris81

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello MttStrn,

I'm represented by Sarah, and she always, ALWAYS responds to queries--even if it's a rejection. I know that she's running a little behind due to the recent holiday, but she usually takes around 2-4 weeks to respond to queries. Again, she may not have had a chance to get to your 2nd query yet due to Thanksgiving. Hang in there--I'm sure she'll get to you soon. :)

MttStrn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. That's the thing, after my second query, she tweeted that she was caught up past the date that I sent it. So I sent a third from a different account and yet again she tweeted that she was caught up past the date that I sent it.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Did you add her email address to your contacts? Maybe *her* emails are getting caught in *your* spam filter.

If not, then I have no idea. Sarah is usually really good about responding. I've queried her twice in the past and never had an issue.

You're sending to the correct email address too, right? (just double-checking because I'm baffled otherwise)

MttStrn

Registered
Reaction score
All of that has been checked and checked again , which is why I'm so baffled and posted here. Unfortunately, I think I'm just going to have to let it go. I just don't want to.

Thanks to all who responded.

mccleark

Registered
Reaction score
Ginger Clark tweeted this morning that she was caught up on her queries sent as of 11:59 pm EST 11/28/11.

I queried her 11/29. Guess I'm in the next batch!