Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Very quiet on my end. Just sent out two nudges.

I've signed a contract with what I consider a book packager, but it's different in that it pays royalty only on cover price, with no upfront flat fee. Jesus, I have no idea what I've gotten myself into. I'll just have to peruse the assignment when it comes in. These are small e-books, ranging from 15,000 to 25,000 words total. Payday is every month. This could be a nice gig or a total bust. Problem is, I'll have to do one and see how well their so called expert marketing ends up.

Tri

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I had a brainwave about that angry agents suggestions and *gasp* I think she's right. I worked all morning on the revisions and just sent them off. Here's hoping she's equally as fast as last time (a few hours). Fingers crossed people.

Also, I wrote the other rejecting agent (the one that loved everything and still said no) and told her about the revisions. I'm hoping she'll take a look at the new version, too.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've decided to give myself a day or two to let suggestions steep in my brain. It's embarassing to reject something and then change your mind. Particularly when a spouse is involved...

I'll keep my fingers crossed, even if it affects my keyboard skills. (Right now, I'm fixing -- I hope -- the cursed formatting of my NF bete noire. This doesn't mean it won't spontaneously do something weird. Can you hear my cursing on the other side of the continent?)

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my aching ears!
icon12.gif

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also watching a baseball game, which doesn't help:censored

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
That'll be me when the hockey game comes on tonight. ^^

Yeah, our game is tomorrow. I plan to watch yours, at least some of it. First up will be Penguins/Flyers -- I won't have a fav there. I hope both teams will hit each other silly and get worn out.

Oh nooooo... We have a four-run lead, bottom of the ninth. But we're putting in Rodriguez, our 100-mph, sometimes-in-the-strike-zone reliever. He makes it interesting, always.

Last edited:

Nightingale

Registered
Reaction score
Drachen Jager - thanks for the advice, I've been creeping around this site for a year and a half, wish I had joined sooner. Please don't laugh too hard when I ask this but what is a beta partner?

Quickbread - thanks for the advice, I've had a couple professors read it and done my own version of market analysis by having a small, diverse group (not friends or family) read it and give me feedback which was very helpful. However, it's coming from a reader's/instructor's viewpoint and not from a writer's or agent's viewpoint. I felt the feedback was constructive but I obviously need more LOL!! 7% sucks, no other way to say it.

Thanks so much for the input guys, I need all the help I can get!!

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Well, 7% doesn't actually suck too terribly, but I think aiming for 10-15% is about right. This business is so subjective that you can't expect much higher than that for most manuscripts, I think. 7% sounds like your idea has some strength but might not be coming through fully in either the query or the sample pages.

After I graduated from my MFA program, I was shocked by how much harsher agents and editors read work than my peers and professors had, even professors who have rockstar agents and books themselves. It's a really different thing to have industry folks reading your writing than other audiences who are focused on supporting and encouraging you with feedback.

A beta reader is someone with whom you exchange work and offer critiques and advice.

We're all in this together! :)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I had a request last night.

Don't hit me.

Nightingale, as QB said, a beta partner will swap reads with you. It's good to find someone who works for you, so most beta partnerships start with a single chaper, then if both are happy you go from there. I find only about 1 in 4 or 5 go beyond that one chapter swap.

7% is not great, but I had an agent, went through a massive re-write with a good editor's feedback, and I'm only at 14%, though I made some changes to improve the first few pages and that seems to have helped. The query letter is important, but the first five pages are critical. Many agents will read sample pages even if they're just so-so on the query, but they don't get past page 1 or 2 if you don't impress them.

Agent Ann Colette shares some insight into why she rejects or makes requests on query letters most days. It's worth having a look so you can avoid some of the pitfalls.
https://twitter.com/#!/Ann_Collette

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I had a form R. What do I win?
a sense of existence in the world.

though if it's an FR, it's only an 80% hit. (SRs are 90%)

edit, will check that out twitter link DR. might be useful

really enjoying the link. she gives 12 sample reasons for rejection every few weeks or so, just scroll down. worth reading.

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Form rejection from a form submission. And it's the second one from this publisher for two YAs in the past three weeks. These two YAs are copping about a 75% request rate, so this second rejection comes as a bit of a surprise. The form allowed for the pasting of 10 pages, and those were very strong for both YA titles.

So, dunno about this pub house and what they're exactly looking for. Both premises have been tagged unique and very desirable. So, I'm counting this as a double whammy.
Guh.

Tri:Shrug:

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote today. I received no correspondence. I mopped floors and went for a run. Now I must make dinner for my kids. My husband is in Whistler.

I need a vacation.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I got nothing today too.

Are all the agents just getting ready for London or what? It's been dead quiet for a week now.

narmowen

Lost in the woods
Registered
Reaction score
I just four rejections today. That just made my day. (Okay, made it not so great, but still made it something.)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I have no particular reason to post here as I'm not currently querying anything (still editing), but I feel like posting anyway...

So I guess this is the perfect time for one of these:

:nothing

:D

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Holy crap, mid-April came fast. I didn't realize the London Book Fair was so close. I haven't heard anything since that full rejection last week.

Ah, beautiful, dreamy Whistler. How I love that mountain.

Today, I worked. Am still adjusting to full-time work life. I'm not schedule oriented at all, especially after five years of working from home. Trying to get to an office at 8:30 am every day is weird. I take a lot of cabs because I end up without enough time to ride the train. Still and all, as far as gigs go, it's pretty swell.

Status
Not open for further replies.