Last Movie You Watched...

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw American Beauty at the recommendation of somebody who thought it was very similar to my current WIP. Maybe I'm a little biased, but I didn't see much similarity. It was, however, a fantastic movie, in my opinion.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I love that movie. I actually hadn't seen it in forever and found it on the $5 rack somewhere. Watched it recently and thought it was similar in tone to my WIP (though the movie was much better than what I'm working on, lol).

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Watched Tucker and Dale vs. Evil last night. I've never rooted for hillbillies before but after this movie I might just start. Brilliantly upended all the conventional ideas about this particular sub-genre and very well acted. Gross, bloody, and really funny.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moneyball. Sure I love baseball, but Pitt was ridiculously good in this one. He's like quietly turning into Robert Redford. Also props to Jonah Hill.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Doomsday Machine--the one released in 1972.

SPOILER ALERT (if anyone cares):

Actually filmed in 1967, most of it. They ran out of money and put everything on hold. When they scraped together a few bucks they decided to finish it--but without any of the original actors. The 1967 info makes sense because when they looked through the viewfinder, the earth was a pink version of the old Universal logo. I thought, Wait a minute--this was filmed after the moon landing! But it actually wasn't. :crazy:

I'm not making this up. It out-Woods Ed Wood using his wife's chiro as Lugosi's character in Plan 9 after Lugosi's death.

The movie has 3 sets: part 1 on earth with all the standard pre-launch stuff and additional spy stuff to justify turning the ship into a 3 Adams plus 3 Eves re-seeding *cough* attempt. Part 2 in a totally impractical ship that's supposedly going to take 2 years to land on Venus and colonize it. (Go with me here.) Part 3, filmed in 1972, has the ship running out of fuel, so they hook up with one of the old Soviet experimental ships. 2 of them make the spacewalk, so all we see is a super-dark interior set with 2 people encased in space suits. the voices are suitably muffled--how convenient. They sort of get the old ship working and try to get the others to come over so they can land on Venus. Then they lose contact with the others. Then--A booming voice fills their ears! It's the hive-mind of the super-evolved, super-ancient inhabitants of Venus. They've killed the others because humans are ebil and a threat to all other species. They're going to send the 2 remaining humans out beyond the edge of the galaxy because "something extraordinary awaits them there." (Since they've killed the other humans, this plot point makes no sense. I wonder if it was a sop to the audience so they didn't leave the theater all depressed because humanity was extinct.) Then the little spaceship zooms out into space. Roll credits.

:Wha:

It's free on YouTube. If you have 90 minutes and want a laugh, check it out. IMO a better version of this kind of movie was The Angry Red Planet. (Not on YouTube, alas.)

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Avengers, for the second time. Still funny, still awesome. :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Doomsday Machine--the one released in 1972.

SPOILER ALERT (if anyone cares):

Actually filmed in 1967, most of it. They ran out of money and put everything on hold. When they scraped together a few bucks they decided to finish it--but without any of the original actors. The 1967 info makes sense because when they looked through the viewfinder, the earth was a pink version of the old Universal logo. I thought, Wait a minute--this was filmed after the moon landing! But it actually wasn't. :crazy:

I'm not making this up. It out-Woods Ed Wood using his wife's chiro as Lugosi's character in Plan 9 after Lugosi's death.

The movie has 3 sets: part 1 on earth with all the standard pre-launch stuff and additional spy stuff to justify turning the ship into a 3 Adams plus 3 Eves re-seeding *cough* attempt. Part 2 in a totally impractical ship that's supposedly going to take 2 years to land on Venus and colonize it. (Go with me here.) Part 3, filmed in 1972, has the ship running out of fuel, so they hook up with one of the old Soviet experimental ships. 2 of them make the spacewalk, so all we see is a super-dark interior set with 2 people encased in space suits. the voices are suitably muffled--how convenient. They sort of get the old ship working and try to get the others to come over so they can land on Venus. Then they lose contact with the others. Then--A booming voice fills their ears! It's the hive-mind of the super-evolved, super-ancient inhabitants of Venus. They've killed the others because humans are ebil and a threat to all other species. They're going to send the 2 remaining humans out beyond the edge of the galaxy because "something extraordinary awaits them there." (Since they've killed the other humans, this plot point makes no sense. I wonder if it was a sop to the audience so they didn't leave the theater all depressed because humanity was extinct.) Then the little spaceship zooms out into space. Roll credits.

:Wha:

It's free on YouTube. If you have 90 minutes and want a laugh, check it out. IMO a better version of this kind of movie was The Angry Red Planet. (Not on YouTube, alas.)

---

The first movie had to be one of the worst, most 'blechiest' experiences I've ever had. There was one part about a human-absorbing tree but the movie's been cut and re-cut so many times it's lost its focus--if it ever had it to begin with. Bobby Van should never have been allowed to act.

As for The Angry Red Planet, I did see it once on YouTube a long time ago in its entirety. (Now it's been removed). Great and rotten film at the same time. Giant spiders, bad acting, red haze...full of win.

(Okay, not really). Invaders from Mars (the 1953 version) is far superior although the ending is sort of a cop-out, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) version is perhaps the most frightening of the 50's horror flicks.

Saw Monsters the other day. Slow-moving but not bad although the monsters looked like giant squids with crab's legs.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Virus: Day of Resurrection. 1980. Originally Fukkatsu no hi, Japanese, but most of the dialog is in English. The full-length version is available for free over on youtube. It's really good, one of the best end of the world movies I have ever seen, with an international cast. The plot: a US military virus gets loose through terrorists buying a vial; over six months, everybody dies. The only people left alive are a couple submarine crews and all the Antarctic science compound people (which includes only seven women, kind of a delicate situation). They realize that, as bad as this is, there's something worse in the cards if they don't mount a heroic action to stop the Worse Thing. If you like Post-apocalyptic stories and haven't seen this, give it a watch! Heck, it's free.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Tower Heist. It was okay. Thought it would be a little funnier and found much of the humor that was there was corny humor. IDK, it just got a little silly for me with all the car stuff. Thought the ending w/the FBI agent didn't match the feel of what I thought her character would have done, but overall it wasn't horrible, but not great either.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Moneyball. Sure I love baseball, but Pitt was ridiculously good in this one. He's like quietly turning into Robert Redford. Also props to Jonah Hill.

Ditto this. Not a HUGE Pitt fan, but thought he was phenomenal in this role as was Jonah Hill. The movie itself and the subject matter was FASCINATING.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Woman in Black. Good acting, Good sets. Loved the ghost bits. Very well done, except the ending. Kiddo and I came up with 4 different scenarios for the reasoning behind the ending, but honestly we didn't think it fit with the story as developed. Unsatisfying, but we enjoyed it a lot.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Horrible Bosses. I actually really enjoyed this movie. thought it was a little over the top at times, but even those parts mostly made me laugh. At one point, I looked at my husband and said, "That woman looks so familiar." He looked at me like I sprouted a third eyeball. Turns out it was Jennifer Anniston. hahaha...did not even recognize her as a whoring it up brunette! :Wha: I liked the chemistry of Bateman, Day, and Sudeikis.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
MIB3. Not as good as the first but better than the second. I just hope they don't make number four. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith make a good team but the whole idea is just a tad flat this time around. Still enjoyed it, though.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Get Him To The Greek. Again. It has to be one of the funniest movies that's come out in a while.

Oh, and I saw Men In Black III the other day. Definitely recommended.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Gah! I think I'm like one of the only people on Earth who couldn't stand Get me to the Greek. That movie annoyed the heck out of me. :Shrug:

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Horrible Bosses. I actually really enjoyed this movie. thought it was a little over the top at times, but even those parts mostly made me laugh. At one point, I looked at my husband and said, "That woman looks so familiar." He looked at me like I sprouted a third eyeball. Turns out it was Jennifer Anniston. hahaha...did not even recognize her as a whoring it up brunette! :Wha: I liked the chemistry of Bateman, Day, and Sudeikis.

That movie was hilarious. But I have a thing for Bateman, so I may be biased :)