Elder Scrolls V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
I really didn't understand their criticism personally. I really enjoyed the opening for Skyrim, more so than Oblivion for sure. I found Oblivion's 'tutorial' dungeon to be way, way too long.

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
Have to agree that Oblivions tutorial was too long. As much as I loved Patrick Stewart being condescending I played it once, created a save game at the exit just before you're offered the chance to rebuild your character and just started there each time. With skyrim you don't really get the chance to do that. Minor gripes though really, it's a much better game 'out of the box' compared to Oblivion.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
There should definitely be a chance to skip these stupid tutorials in these games. It's neat the first time through. After that, it's pretty frustrating when you want to try a new character concept.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Uh oh, Log has gone MOD happy.

Yeah, it's easy to get lost in the billions of Mods. I enjoyed the Crafting Apocalypse or whatever they called it. Also, the usual round of Glamazon/Battle Barbie mods had to be tested. And, being fair, there are the male model updates to give the ladies some much-needed eye candy as well.

I'm not sure about the Bound Dagger mod. I really really really want one to fit my version of a true Nightblade character, but the thing doesn't seem to scale well.

And, (FINALLY) a no-helmet mod.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Gah! Log! What the HELL are you doing?? Gots ta get on dat, man!

The TESV accelerator is simply amazing I'm easily getting an extra 20FPS in high population areas. Figuring out how to enable the Skyrim Script Extender was annoying, but I finally grokked it, and now I can use the modded water and ice textures. Now to try a lighting mod or three for some truly deep shadows and bright spell effects.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
So I was planning on waiting a while before I gave up life to play Skyrim, but I helped a mate out with his garden over the weekend and got home to find 'You have a gift' waiting for me in Steam. Yes, he'd bought me Skyrim to say thank you. Which was very nice of him, and means I can now take part in this thread :D

Not got too far yet - and I might still restart and play a different character type (sneaky/archer/dual-wield/restoration/D&D Ranger rip-off at the moment).

Anjasa

Registered
Reaction score
Can't wait to gete home and play this tonight! The Creation Kit is out for PC along with a high res graphics pack!

Swannington

Flying The Violent Skies
Registered
Reaction score
I put 175 hours into this game, the most I've ever put into a game on a single play through before. I loved every minute of it.....but have no desire to ever touch the game again. I guess that's a result of spending so much time in one world.

Rabid_Capybara

Registered
Reaction score
Steam's got Skyrim on sale today, for anyone who's not made the plunge. Morrowind & Oblivion are also on sale today, and a package deal with all three for less than Skyrim by itself usually costs.

ShadowyEclipse

SPAAAAAAACE!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, see, I have this magical ability. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but buggy games aren't buggy for me.

I've NEVER run into a gamebreaking glitch. EVER. Even with 100 hours of Gothic II and 95 hours of New Vegas, and 65 hours of Alpha Protocol!

It's unholy. I think my parents may have made a pact with Exodus.

I dare you to play ARMA 2's Campaign.

I DARE YOU to NOT find any bugs in it!

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score

Anjasa

Registered
Reaction score
I spent all of yesterday just running around Skyrim exploring. I can't believe there's still so much I haven't found.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
There should definitely be a chance to skip these stupid tutorials in these games. It's neat the first time through. After that, it's pretty frustrating when you want to try a new character concept.

Create a generic save... go through the tut one more time and save it when done. Go into your saves folder and copy the save file to another location and rename it something like 'generic_save'. Every time you want to start a new character, copy it back to the saves folder, load up your game, load up your 'generic save', in game hit the tilde key (~) and type 'showracemenu' without the quotes to activate chargen and recreate your character's appearance, hit enter and once more tilde to exit the console and use your mouse/controller again.

Other than that, learn papyrus and how to use the CK -- create a modded workaround based on the chargen quest and 'showracemenu' command, or setup a pre-intro prompt to skip it and load a generic save with auto command chargen (SKSE required).

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Create a generic save... go through the tut one more time and save it when done. Go into your saves folder and copy the save file to another location and rename it something like 'generic_save'. Every time you want to start a new character, copy it back to the saves folder, load up your game, load up your 'generic save', in game hit the tilde key (~) and type 'showracemenu' without the quotes to activate chargen and recreate your character's appearance, hit enter and once more tilde to exit the console and use your mouse/controller again.

Other than that, learn papyrus and how to use the CK -- create a modded workaround based on the chargen quest and 'showracemenu' command, or setup a pre-intro prompt to skip it and load a generic save with auto command chargen (SKSE required).
Alternative: get a mod. :p

Ed Panther

Banned
Reaction score
My bf, just purchased the game and he's been on the couch doing nothing but. Did anyone get really shitty graphics in the beg? It was like runescape -except the earlier versions

Oh man. Old runescape. You just made me feel fuzzy inside.

Runescape 2001-2006 was the most fun I've ever had playing a video game.

Pikabuddy

Learning more every day
Registered
Reaction score
It gives a better perspective of things, me being a fantasy lover and all. Good quests and really good voice acting IMO.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
On my second playthrough, I kinda stumbled across the Riften orphanage. I heard Grelad talking to the kids. Then I hear about the missing kid and remembered the rumors from a previous playthrough that I never looked upon. Then I saw the room with the shackles...

I stole her sweetroll and decided that that bitch is going down.

DJMaxwell

As Seen In Real Life
Registered
Reaction score
I had so many problems with their dynamically-generated-quest system (which they amusingly used for story and faction quests as well instead of having two systems) that it was no laughing matter at all. After reading a hundred different 'fixes', none of which worked even after ten hours of screwing with the console, I still haven't done any of the Bards College quests since the chain-starter is bugged for me.

I'm also annoyed that after so many years of faction-split RPG games, starting with the original Fallout, nobody's figured out how to create a unique questing experience in over a decade. It's either "you joined Faction A so you can't join Faction B, since we'll be killing most of them off later anyways" or "you can join every faction and your experiences within them are independent of everything else going on in the game". Is that really all that we're limited to for faction-based games?

I want to see something akin to the Fallout New Vegas factional influence on the end-game, except beyond a single battle, something that affects events throughout the game from start to finish at key points based on what you've done with ALL of the factions, not just a single one. I want to see storyline where it doesn't feel as if I'm stepping from one game to another whenever I do something for the Mage's Guild, the Warrior's Guild, of the Thieve's Guild- something where it feels like my choices ANYWHERE affect the story EVERYWHERE. *sighs*

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently at the middle of the Dark Brotherhood quests. Just got into eavesdropping on Cicero, the screen's all black and you can only hear him and AAAHTALOSGETTHATTHINGAWAYFROMME!!

Status
Not open for further replies.