The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Bit too much like Whorey Nights don't you think?

What about Whorey Knights?

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Only possible if they aren't too hoary. Or haven't drunk too much Yukon Jack.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
I'm totally going to write "Whorey Knights: When Chivalry was in Flower and Knights Were Sold on the Cheap"

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'll save the elixer for myself, then. All this discussion is making me curious. But it's still a bit early to hit the hard stuff.

Or maybe it's this section I'm trying to rewrite. It was too long and there's another section even worse. I'm trying to combine the two, but my brain isn't working this afternoon. I'm trying to switch from coffee back to tea and it's not going well.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
Got another form rejection a few minutes ago. I sent out 15 queries a week and a half ago and have gotten four responses. Which isn't too bad, I guess, but all of them have been form rejections. It's still early though, right?

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Right. If you're curious, you might check out the average response times for different agents on the querytracker website. This can also give you an idea if they usually respond or ignore you if they aren't interested.

As a general rule, I assume I'm not going to hear from someone after three months, because that's the longest I've waited before someone responded.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Itsmary, yep, it's early. In my most recent round, I sent 30 queries, and received only 11 responses, 4 of which were requests for more material. All the query rejections were forms.

One of the agents I queried has an average 69-day response time on queries, according to QueryTracker. I had a seven-month response once, and it was a very apologetic full request.

Hathor, it's 8 pm somewhere. And it's Friday. And it's hoary somewhere. Three good reasons to give your YJ a whirl.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure the stuff would improve my word choice. In too many sentences in the NF I sound...pedantic. (Yes, most of you guessed what I was going to say.) With a shot or three of YK, I suspect I'd be more colorful. Not sure if the f-bomb belongs in a work about special education, however much it really belongs there. Those, er, f-ers were hurting my baby!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Finally seeing some movement on the Agent front.

Two rejections.

At least this means my e-mail is working.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I was sure I would get a boat load of Rs today. I sent out a batch of queries two weeks ago, and in my experience, if you're going to get a response it comes within 14 days.

Too bad for me, though. I'm not sending any more out until I hear back on the subs. I'm coming up on the three month mark for two fulls. Too panicky to nudge though. I'll take the silence.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I think there's been a lot of conferences and such for the past two weeks Carleree. I expect we'll see some action over the weekend and next week.

(fingers crossed)

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
I just got some crappy non-news from the agent who was consulting on my letter (charity purchase) and then when we talked, asked to see the whole manu.

She sent the letter back today with her fixes but no mention of manu. UGH. Disappointed.

P.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I sent out a whole slew of queries last week and the week before. I'm finally starting to hear back. All form rejections. That's better than not hearing anything, I guess. I have a partial and a full out.

Le sigh. It gets me down, but I've gotten better about scanning the email, archiving it in my Writing folder, and going back to whatever I was doing.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Well. I just emailed Jenny, saying I'd been too shy to say how impressed I was by her, that she would have been my first choice, how thrilled I was to send her my MS and that she was still stellar in my book.

She replied saying "Thanks! I haven't read it yet..."

WOW. I am a dork. Perhaps the queen of all dorks.

P.

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Well. I just emailed Jenny, saying I'd been too shy to say how impressed I was by her, that she would have been my first choice, how thrilled I was to send her my MS and that she was still stellar in my book.

She replied saying "Thanks! I haven't read it yet..."

WOW. I am a dork. Perhaps the queen of all dorks.

P.

JB Jenny? If so I've got a full with one of her co-agents. We've got a bit of a rapport going so I hope I have a good shot there.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
polly,

Try some Yukon Jack. Good for what ails ya. ;)

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's JB Jenny. We talked and I just lurrrve her too much that it's gonna hurt worse than a break up. But at least I was honest about my nerd girl crush.

Hathor, still got all that whisky in my basement, and foolishly drank some wine just now - hubs. out of town and makes me anxious. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to wine and I now have to take benadryl.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, hon, feel better. And stay away from things you're allergic to.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
I am hanging in! Only 3 more nights to go! I honestly don't know how single moms do it, and I roped my folks in today for hiking and then they came to dinner and we watched crazy old westerns. In 1936 John Wayne was pretty darn handsome!

Researching agents. This is like...studying for finals, but longer. GAhhhh.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Worse than finals...for them you know what the answers are supposed to be. But hang in there. There are plenty of cute cowboys, you know.

I know what you mean about the kids. I spent a memorable two weeks alone with mine when they were young. My husband was in the Soviet Union, we couldn't contact each other, and I didn't know when he'd come home. (He had to bluff his way out.)

Anyway, researching agents doesn't bother me as much as writing the query. If you query somebody who probably wouldn't like your book, no harm is done. But if you muff it with a bad query to someone who should like your book...

Eh, you can probably tell, I'm looking at my NF query again. My book doesn't sound entertaining, but oh-so-terribly earnest. I suppose I should rewrite the query to be pithier and closer to the tone of the book. I have to rewrite the proposal too, because everything's reorganized (or getting that way). This is the project that never ends.

Perhaps some agents were scared away by the 110,000 word count? It's 82,000 now and I'm still working on it. Who knows? Soon my book may be too short.

Oh, Carleree, you didn't watch the third period of the Caps/Rangers game, did you? Sigh.

Actually it was probably the fault of either the idiot columnist who wrote that the DC sports curse was apparently now over (Nats lost yesterday also) or my daughter. She called before the third quarter and I had to mute the game. NY scored and I said a Very Bad Word. "Mom, I've never heard you say that word before. I didn't know you cursed like that." "Uh, you didn't?" Great moments in motherhood. Well, I kept the secret for 25 years :Shrug:Maybe I should call up my son and lob the word at him, too.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I was sure I would get a boat load of Rs today. I sent out a batch of queries two weeks ago, and in my experience, if you're going to get a response it comes within 14 days.

Too bad for me, though. I'm not sending any more out until I hear back on the subs. I'm coming up on the three month mark for two fulls. Too panicky to nudge though. I'll take the silence.

*hugs* The silence is the awful bit. I've sent out about 35 queries, spaced out over about a month. I've got one form rejection and silence. If you get responses within 14 days, then I'm basically screwed. Oh well :/

ETA: Okay, mega-weird, but perhaps posting about silence was my lucky charm. I just got a full request from an agent I subbed to yesterday!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
*hugs* The silence is the awful bit. I've sent out about 35 queries, spaced out over about a month. I've got one form rejection and silence. If you get responses within 14 days, then I'm basically screwed. Oh well :/

ETA: Okay, mega-weird, but perhaps posting about silence was my lucky charm. I just got a full request from an agent I subbed to yesterday!

Yea, you! As customary, have a :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.