Bestselling Worldbuilding Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardFlea

Foo!
Registered
Reaction score
At home - Adelaide (if you know where that is!)
Thanks.

Nice link and excellent advice for any non-earth world regardless as to whether in the future or not.

I particularly liked the bit of describing things as simply as possible and the 'door zipped open automatically' was an excellent example.

Thanks Ted.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Nice link and excellent advice for any non-earth world regardless as to whether in the future or not.

I particularly liked the bit of describing things as simply as possible and the 'door zipped open automatically' was an excellent example.

Thanks Ted.

Glad it helped.

BTW, the door bit is actually a classic piece of Heinlein "incluing" - the original phrase was "the door irised open."

RichardFlea

Foo!
Registered
Reaction score
At home - Adelaide (if you know where that is!)
Mmmm.... 'the door irised open' doesn't do it as much for me.... it doesn't roll off the tongue ...

Lets have a go for fun;

The door blinked open (... a quick iris version)

The door kindly opened with a bow (... ooo an inteligent door with manners)

The door watched (... a beligerent voyeristic creepy door)

The door cascaded open in a shower of liquid metal (nice image, but too many words... and you need a rain coat)

The steel door flowed open (nicer...)

The door warped open (definitely not a door to enter lightly)

The door slowly opened with a sigh (... a bad door day...)

The door simply was not (... a zen door)

RedRam

It's a dog-eat-waffle world.
Registered
Reaction score
Only loosely related but I've always loved the term gaping maw. Every time I see a CGI monster in a mediocre movie, I imagine that the script has the term gaping maw in it somewhere.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Of course it does! What good is a monster without a gaping maw, I ask you?

Speaking of which, I was in the grocery the other day, and the meat counter had packages of hog maws. They were all folded flat, not gaping at all. So disappointing! (And further down in the poultry section were packages of chicken paws. Not hairy -- what the point of a paw that isn't hairy?)

dkamin

Registered
Reaction score
Good read! The key specifics part was especially good, but then again, to write any good book, you need to have a good number of details that make the work real for you and the reader (but I can see how much more important they would be on an alien world).

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Good read! The key specifics part was especially good, but then again, to write any good book, you need to have a good number of details that make the work real for you and the reader (but I can see how much more important they would be on an alien world).

I used key details a LOT in TWS. You could call it a form of synecdoche or pars pro toto. Make the detail powerful enough, and the reader has the sense of perceiving the whole of the character or setting.

Get the food and hygiene right, and you're halfway there...

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
"The door yawned open like a whore's..." ah, nevermind!

"The door slid open of its own accord", will do. :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.