The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallybruce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wallyrudolph.com
Howdy, Wally! Definitely tell me more!--I'm the "literary suspense/thriller" author referenced above. I think you could also put an author like Graham Greene in there as well. I think the difference between that and er, "non-literary" is probably a less traditional structure, more attention to language, character, stuff like that. I mean, I think I'm pretty much genre but as one of the publishing euphemism tweets said = "literary thriller" = "J@mes Patters0n fans, stay away!"

(no offense to any Patterson fans out there)

As for my second book, most of you haven't read it cause it hasn't been published yet. It comes out May 1 (linkie at bottom). So, yeah, I'm getting to that point in the process! Here comes the Emo-Coaster!

Hey, OL! Yeah I'm familiar with your book (I was following NB's blog when you hit the shelves) Congrats! Agree with you on all fronts re: crime/suspense/thriller fiction with literary values. I'm a language freak (Barry Hannah, D Johnson, etc...) and a disciple of the Southern literary canon thanks to my old fiction prof. so my work reflects that. So far it's been compared to Woodrell's work to give you an idea.

It's a literary thriller that occurs through the Southwest. People living on the fringe, gritty language . . . Think: Bonnie and Clyde meets On the Road.

Can't wait to hear about your 2nd book!

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Hillary,
When my agent sent me the sub list I didn't realize it was an epublisher. She said that a lot of debut authors are being offered epublishing until they make some sales. I guess that makes sense, yes?

Oh, gotcha. Sorry, I misunderstood and thought this was a separate project.

I think we're seeing some debut authors publishing with e-first pubs for a number of reasons: the tightening up of the traditional market, the rise in success of a few e-pubs, and the timeline from acceptance to publication.

I have a novella (and will have a novel) with an e-first publisher, which I submitted directly while working with my agent to find a traditional publisher for other projects.

I will say there are certain advantages to working with an e-first publisher. You can work with top-notch editors and see your book released within a year. And take heart: just because it's e-first or has primarily been digital doesn't mean that your novel won't see paper publication.

However, I hope you see some other offers as well. ;)

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow, Tri- I hope you'll be okay.Tornadoes are very scary indeed.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Town of Maryville has been almost destroyed by tornadoes, according to Twitter -- where are you, Tri?

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Tri, I hope it passes without incident. Stay safe!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Oh, man, Tri -- hope you're okay!

Wally, definitely interested in your book! Sounds like my type of thing.

Drachen, Snappy, all appropriate appendages crossed!

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Any news from Tri? That area was whipped with tornadoes; saw the photographs last night. Terrible damage.

washingtonienne

Writing, running or drinking
Registered
Reaction score
My heart goes out to those in the affected areas. I'm originally from LA where we have ever natural disaster EXCEPT for tornados and they've always struck me as the most frightening. Tri, I hope your power gets back on and we hear that you're okay soon!

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're okay, Tri! Heart goes out to those that have suffered damage/injury and worse.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Seriously glad you're okay, Tri. Sorry to repeat, but I feel it's worth saying that my heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by these storms. We ended up with horrid storms (heavy wind, torrential rain, hail) but the tornadoes went just north and just south of us. Keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Tri, glad to hear that you're okay. Hoping the best for all involved.

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Tri -- thank goodness you're okay. My own thoughts and prayers go out to all affected. Heartbreaking, to see the news coverage.

Writing-wise:

Everything crossed for all who need it! Congrats and hoorays for every good thing.

I think all of you *rock* at every stage of the process.

Sticking my head in from my Walden-Pond-of-the-mind because I missed my hellions. : )

I'm deep in revisions for my next novel, hoping to have it on sub by the end of April. Then, I'll have some months free-er until NaNoWriMo hits.

Hope all is well, all are well, the writing is going well, the muses are behaving, the words, flowing!

Em

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are safe, Tri. My state was hit hard with tornadoes on Good Friday last year. We were okay, but my crit partner's neighborhood had damage. There was a neighborhood we were looking at when we sold our house, and it was flattened in last year's tornado. Tornadoes are frightening. Before I had kids, I was such a freak for wicked storms that I'd watch from the porch as they got worse and worse. At least, I have the sense to go to the basement once the storm sirens start.

st22

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're okay, Tri! I saw some news reports and it really puts my problems in perspective.

Thanks for the support, Hillary, it's so easy to get discouraged. Just had another rejection from one of the Big Guns who thinks I write well and likes my voice but just wasn't feeling it. Onward and upward, or downward, whatever- as long as I'm moving :)

Status
Not open for further replies.