What are you reading?

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Couldn't get into Dead End in Norvelt, I guess I just wasn't in the mood. I've been in a reading funk lately, not sure what I want. So I went to the library today, my first day off in YEARS and picked up Midwinter by Matthew Sturges, so far it's good.

Ophqui

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading:

11/22/63 by stephen king - Not his best by any stretch, but its got the 'and then what happened?' factor that will keep me reading until the end

The hunger games by Suzanne Collins - Genuinely enjoying it so far. Was worried initially by the Twilight comparisons, but they are totally inaccurate.

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert - Rereading. Always like to have something a bit more challenging on the go in case i'm in the mood. Its a little slow, and a little dated, but the themes and the characters are interesting enough to warrant a second read.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
The Stand--Stephen King

I'm about 30 pages into the uncut edition, hoping that it doesn't swallow me before I'm done. Is it just mine, or are all copies of The Stand 1440 pages?

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
The Stand--Stephen King

I'm about 30 pages into the uncut edition, hoping that it doesn't swallow me before I'm done. Is it just mine, or are all copies of The Stand 1440 pages?

I think the original book was 600 or 700 pages long. Sai King had to cut several hundred pages out because the publisher didn't have the capability to print books that were a thousand and some pages long back in the '70s when it was published. Stephen added back in the cut material in a new, uncut version of the book when it was re-released in the '90s. I have the uncut edition, which is over a thousand pages long.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Curbchek by Zack Fortier

It's a biography by a cop about his experiences in the Police Force. I downloaded it for free for Kindle as well as the sequel, Curbchek reloaded.

It's a good read so far. Well worth picking up if you've got an interest in the police and such.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Finished Don DeLillo's The Body Artist. Loved it.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Curbchek Reloaded

It was available free at the same time as Curbcheck and if anything, it's even better. They are both excellant books. Throughly enjoying Reloaded so far.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently reading Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. Before that, it was Wishin' And Hopin' by Wally Lamb. And before that, it was The Tommyknockers by Stephen King.

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children is easily one of the best books that I have ever read. It definitely has that page-turner quality to it. Check it out as soon as you can.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
A Bullet for Cinderella--John D. MacDonald

It's available on Nook, and it's only 115 pages. I'm thoroughly enjoying thus far.

Harry Douthwaite

Travel Videographer Extraordinaire!
Registered
In Time Out for My Sins
Reaction score
Brian Jacques - The Rogue Crew

T'was the last of 21 Redwall Series novels that made it to publication. All I can say is I'm really, really enjoying it. :)

Tex_Maam

not in show business
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetexfiles.com
Continuing with the "finally reading books that I somehow missed in high school" motif, I'm about halfway through Uncle Tom's Cabin.

It's pretty interesting and pacy for a 19th-century novel (haven't hit any chapters-long descriptions of scenery yet), but boy I wish Mrs. Stowe's repertoire of men's names extended beyond "Tom" and "George." There must be about four of each by now.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children is easily one of the best books that I have ever read. It definitely has that page-turner quality to it. Check it out as soon as you can.

I liked it, too, right up until the "reveal," if you know what I mean.

plebeian

Registered
Reaction score
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. And it's awfully bloated. The book 1 was nice, but from the second half of Book 2, the book has begun losing its way. Anyway, still 200 pages from the climax, so am reserving my comments.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading and listening to a few Raymond Chandler mysteries. They're inspiring to mystery writers like me. One of them inspired me to write my newest story.

ambie_dog

Registered
Reaction score
I finished reading The List by Siobhan Vivian a few days ago. I'm not really keen on contemporary books but I thought it was okay.

I'm currently reading Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick, it's a really good book. I think it's the perfect amount of pages. Not too long, not too short.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the way through Gail Carriger's Soulless right now. Eh, the plot is interesting, but the excessive adverb abuse to let the reader know that, hey, this is set in Victorian England and it's a steampunk fantasy and everyone dresses super-fancy is grating on my nerves. It gets better as the narrative goes on, and I think it's supposed to be somewhat tongue in cheek, but I don't think I'll be continuing with the series.