• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nelson Literary Agency, LLC (Kristin Nelson)

Xirana

Registered
Reaction score
I thought i would share this for those interested: during Sara's #10queriesIn10tweets on Twitter today she stated that she wants more romance authors NOW and that she LOVES contemp YA.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
My comment was: "It also makes one wonder how long it will be until they decide to go whole hog and start routing new titles into their publishing stream."

Old books have limited sales potential, even for well established authors. With the new trend of authors self-publishing after they've established a readership, there's the potential they may change their current stance. Which is why I'd wondered how long they're going to stick with reissues before they start helping authors with new, previously unpublished work.
They already will help authors release new works if we'd like. But there's no obligation to do anything with them. I put up my own backlist and fully intend to release a new mystery series myself. I have people lined up for cover design, editing and can configure my own ebooks. But many don't and don't want to get the connections or knowledge. For them, it's a good deal. Also, I can pick and choose distribution channels. For example, I can ask her to distribute my book for me only to Overdrive but do the rest myself.

There's no conflict of interest here. Kristin was very careful about constructing this end of her business. And one of her clients is a intellectual rights attorney who is never short on saying what she thinks. She consulted with Kristin and is on board with everything she did. If you are going to trust anyone to do the right thing in publishing, it's Kristin Nelson.

Twinkie

spongy, yellow, & an utter mystery
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Sara Megibow on 3/19 at 10:45 am and had a response (rejection, sadly) waiting in my inbox by 4:30 on the same day. Talk about prompt! Even though she said no, I respect her for not leaving me to obsess about my query.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
Has anyone gotten a query response from Kristin Nelson in the last week or so? It's been over two weeks for me, and they usually respond very quickly (the website says 5 to 10 days). I saw that she and Anita Mumm were at the Bologna Book Fair, and I'm wondering if that's impacting response times. Thanks!

Last edited:

inspiredbymusic

Registered
Reaction score
CharleyGirl, I also queried Ms. Nelson just over 2 weeks ago and haven't received a response. I'm assuming that the Bologna Book Fair is delaying response times. I imagine she is busy night and day over there! She posted a little update on her blog a couple of days ago--check it out if you haven't already.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks inspiredbymusic and Filigree! I didn't mean to sound impatient at all (I'm used to waiting much longer for responses:))~ I was just curious to see if anyone had gotten a response lately. Sorry if it came across otherwise.

Ginger Writer

Writing like a madwoman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Has anyone gotten any responses from Kristen Nelson lately? I know that it takes a while for most agents, but they usually get back in 5-10 days and I haven't heard back for three weeks now. I realize that they've been busy what with the book fair and all, but I'm worried that my query was lost in cyberspace and am not sure when (or if) it would be appropriate to nudge at any point soon. Thanks!

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten any responses from Kristen Nelson lately? I know that it takes a while for most agents, but they usually get back in 5-10 days and I haven't heard back for three weeks now. I realize that they've been busy what with the book fair and all, but I'm worried that my query was lost in cyberspace and am not sure when (or if) it would be appropriate to nudge at any point soon. Thanks!
my experience, she usually pretty fast, so a slow response, might be good...

inspiredbymusic

Registered
Reaction score
Ginger Writer,
I sent Ms. Nelson a query on 3/8 and haven't heard back yet. I think Bologna probably set her back quite a bit. I'm happy to be able to still hope. :)

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sent her my horrible query and got a form reject back promptly.

She is my dream agent.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Has anyone gotten a response in the last week or so on queries sent to Kristin Nelson? It's been over a month on mine--I know they're still settling in from Bologna...just wondering if responses are trickling in yet. Thanks!

inspiredbymusic

Registered
Reaction score
CharleyGirl,
No, I still haven't received a response on my query to Ms. Nelson sent 3/8. I believe she mentioned on her blog that she was going to be away at a conference this week (if I'm not mistaken).
Still hoping! :)

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I remember sending a really horrid query to this agency. The rejection was very nice,lol.

Good luck,everyone!

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
She's at RT here in Chicago. I know because I ran into her on the elevator and we had a very nice mini-chat. She didn't know me from anyone, and was just as friendly as you'd ever want to meet.

Emualde

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten a response in the last week or so on queries sent to Kristin Nelson? It's been over a month on mine--I know they're still settling in from Bologna...just wondering if responses are trickling in yet. Thanks!

Equery 4/06.
Partial request 4/13.

inspiredbymusic

Registered
Reaction score
CharleyGirl,
No, I still haven't received a response on my query to Ms. Nelson sent 3/8. I believe she mentioned on her blog that she was going to be away at a conference this week (if I'm not mistaken).
Still hoping! :)

Update: I received a form rejection this morning. :(

Congratulations to Emualde on the request and good luck to everyone else!