The Novel Challenge Hub

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Soapdish, the way I get around the blocks of disconnected writing problem is to reread what I wrote the day before and keep going from there. Would that help?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
*deep breath*

Okay, I've redone the plot outline on my current WIP for the no-ideath time, marking out what needs to change so that everything works together.

When I counted, there were fifteen scenes that needed major edits. Several more than need minor edits, but I need short term goals.

I just spent three hours changing one of those fifteen. I'm wincing looking at the rest.

Onward and upward, I guess.

EDIT: Got another two scenes done in a lot less time. Good to know not all of these will eat up half my day. Only twelve more scenes to go!

Last edited:

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Go, Katrina! Edit that WIP into shape! :e2cheer:

Sigh. My characters really like to screw with me when it comes to romance. >.< In my NaNo, two characters I was sure were supposed to have a romantic thing going... absolutely refused to develop a relationship. In my current WIP, I was sure there wouldn't be romance... and now not one but TWO freaking semi-romances are trying to pop up. Gah! (I don't even know how to write romances. Never been in a romantic relationship before... O.O)

BUT. The important thing is, I'm still getting my 100 words a day. 43 consecutive days and counting! Whee! (And in general it hasn't turned out too disjointed, which I was actually really concerned about. In a couple places, yeah, but not too many... I think... I hope. O.O)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Soapdish, the way I get around the blocks of disconnected writing problem is to reread what I wrote the day before and keep going from there. Would that help?
:Shrug: Maybe. It's worth a try. :)

EDIT: Got another two scenes done in a lot less time. Good to know not all of these will eat up half my day. Only twelve more scenes to go!
:hooray: See, there you go.
BUT. The important thing is, I'm still getting my 100 words a day. 43 consecutive days and counting! Whee! (And in general it hasn't turned out too disjointed, which I was actually really concerned about. In a couple places, yeah, but not too many... I think... I hope. O.O)
Yay for not being disjointed! I wish I had the same faith in mine. :D

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
LilliCray, that's awesome that you've been consistent over that long a period. My writing time definitely comes in waves.

I'm now up to four* of the fifteen scenes completed, but the one I just finished was a major one and in the midst of working on that, I laid the groundwork for some of the new material in the next scene. (It makes sense in my head, I promise.)

Oh, yeah, and I started combining notes to myself with character dialogue:

The MC: "I know that guy! I saw him back in Scene 5-2!"

Monday afternoon update: Make that five. :)

Last edited:

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Hello, everyone. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, :whip: not to mention writing almost 1000 throwaway words, I think I have found my character's motivation. :e2writer:I'm not sure if it works, but it feels the most logical course. He's young and if I remember being young :e2thud:there was a lot of uncertainty combined with bravado. My character has had a tough time fitting in, so perhaps his search is for acceptance. Only he's got to accept who and what he is. (ah, growth! :idea:) So, he's not as sure as he is my later books. In other words, he needs to grow up. Go figure.

I've asked myself why I'm writing young protagonists nowadays. The only thing I can think of is that I'm starting a series or revisiting areas where I need to explore. Only some of their problems seem to just be the product of inexperience.

So, with this in mind, I'm going to have to revisit some of the 27K I wrote and start adding that in. :Shrug: Maybe. Then, I can find his motivation for doing what he's doing.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I know how you feel. I had similar issues with an earlier draft of my WIP. My protagonist was doing stuff, so the plot was technically going forward, but she had no personal reason to be involved in anything. A minor screw up on her part now leads to a slightly unhealthy dose of self-imposed guilt, and she's one motivated young lady. :evil

I'm now finished six scenes and I'm really starting to feel that beaten-this-book-to-death drag. When I'm in heavy edits, it's like rediscovering my love of this particular story because it usually involves a total re-write. When I'm doing light surface changes, I can put on some music and relax, because it's nothing I have to torture my brain over. This is that ugly in-between state and it's driving me nuts.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Started working on the novel again. Added about 2k words over the past two days. Hoping to pick up the pace as I get into the more "actiony" stuff.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Congrats, Aggy B.

May the actiony parts flow from your fingertips like... like an incredibly clever and totally-not-cliched simile about the flow of words from one's fingertips.

I'm ending my writing day with two scenes finished this afternoon, bringing my total to seven. My brain and I need a break.

sky warrior books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
I just got a lovely comment on my blog. I think I need to post this up on my computer as a reminder:

I am reading Prophecy of Swords on my Kindle right now, and greatly enjoying Shadowhelm's adventure. I'd love to read more Swords of Destiny books, so don't get too discouraged!

:Jaw:
Okay, maybe my writing doesn't suck as much as I think it does.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sky Warrior, that's sooo cool! Very encouraging.

I'm stuck in outlining and note taking hell. Don't mind me. :gone: I'll be back with new words....soon, I hope.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Keep going Soapdish:Hug2:And that's so awesome sky warrior. I have written about 1,100 words tonight:) not a lot, but considering I haven't written for a while again it's not to bad.:) I'm editing an old story though, so I'll end up loosing them again no doubt. My other story is on hold, as the query wasn't up to much after putting it up in Query letter hell and i think a couple of plots need to be checked out:Hug2:Good news though, they seem to like the Query for this book so far:) Guess it's not all bad:)

sky warrior books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
I'm stuck in outlining and note taking hell. Don't mind me. :gone: I'll be back with new words....soon, I hope.

Hang in there! I HATE outlining. :e2writer:

I have written about 1,100 words tonight:) not a lot, but considering I haven't written for a while again it's not to bad.:) I'm editing an old story though, so I'll end up loosing them again no doubt. My other story is on hold, as the query wasn't up to much after putting it up in Query letter hell and i think a couple of plots need to be checked out:Hug2:Good news though, they seem to like the Query for this book so far:) Guess it's not all bad:)

1100 words is awesome! :snoopy:

Still plugging away - only 10 pages or so of edits remaining.

:e2woo: You can do it!

Me? I'm mucking about trying to put this book together a bit more. I've had a lot of distractions, including having to put down one of my Malamutes. She was 14, but it was still hard. :(:e2bummed:

Writing has been maybe 200 words. Other things I've had to do include editing and formatting. All take time.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Cheering everyone on, no matter where you're at with your wip. Outlining, editing, writing, query writing.

Hugs and sympathy to Sky Warrior on the death of the malamute.

Continuing with my own slow and steady pace.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs to Sky Warrior :Hug2:

and Sir Kirpal slow and steady is good:)

I haven't got any words wrote today, but I did edit up to chapter three. I have a feeling the other chaps will need a more editing than the first three. *Sighs* Seen as how I don't drink Coffee, I think I'll be drinking hot choclate all day tommorrow while i edit:) next best thing:)

sky warrior books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Ooooh, shiny. :Jump:

Yep, I'm back in the ADHD author mode. This time, I got an idea that needs to be worked on quickly if I'm going to make any money on it. :idea: The problem is it is nonfiction and not related to my novels. :Wha: Anyway, I'm going to have to run with it and get a nonfiction book cranked out, get the other work I'm doing knocked out, and get back on the novel.

Today, I got up waaaay too early for ninjutsu class :e2fight:and ended up sleeping most of the afternoon. :e2zzz:Tonight has been research plus promotions. I'm going insane over the royalty software :Hammer: and I've got whines into the tech support.

So, that's what has happened. I've got several hundred words cranked out on the nonfiction book.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Best of luck with the non-fiction book, Sky Warrior! They're easier to write than fiction, at least in my experience.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
my reporting is about as sporadic as my editing- but the first pass of edits on the Urban Fantasy are done.

It needs more work. I'm not sure if I go back through and do more edits, or start work on another edit job on another book... or maybe, do the query letter for the urban fantasy and then do the edit. I feel like it needs focus.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Stats for March,14-19 so far:

UF/Book Two
Started at 19,731 words. Now@ 23,689

UF/Book Two
Started at 8752 words. Now @ 19,731.

Sci-Fi novel
Started at 12,329. Now@18,201.

Epic Fantasy
Started at 153,209. (I know. I have a serious problem*holds head down in shame*)
Chopped and screwed down to 135,000 or thereabouts. I'm sloooooowly getting there with it.Found an agent who wants Epic fantasy that doesn't have the standard Western European settings. EEEEK.

Tried to write a query for above novel. As usual for me,it sucks more than a black hole. I shall keep trying and crying.

Pulled out my horror novellas and getting ready to polish the stories for submission. I'm very much inspired by the Short stories thread and I visited duotrope. The market for horror short stories is MUCH better than it is for novels!

Sent query for vampire novel out.

Got a very nice response from my beta that I'm a crazy soul who needs Jesus.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Congrats on getting so much done, Kitty! Good luck with the querying!

Congrats on getting editing done, Bettielee! Have you talked to your betas about the book's focus? And yes, I've found that writing the query sometimes tells me what the book's focus is, so that might work too.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score

Congrats on getting so much done, Kitty! Good luck with the querying!

Congrats on getting editing done, Bettielee! Have you talked to your betas about the book's focus? And yes, I've found that writing the query sometimes tells me what the book's focus is, so that might work too.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Thank you!

And good luck to you and everybody!