Domino's Pizza founder sues federal government over mandated contraception coverage

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand how an employer thinks just because they find it immoral about birth control or abortion that they can disallow others. Sickening. I'm sick of people forcing their personal views on others.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
What is it with pizza company founders and kooky partisan bullshit? Wasn't it just last month that the founder of Papa John's was so inexplicably butt hurt over Obamacare that he claimed he was gonna have to either raise the price of a pizza by 14 pennies or start immediately cutting hours and laying people off to compensate for the supposed financial hardship the health insurance requirement was gonna put in the company?

He said he needed to do this now for a requirement that doesn't take effect until 2014?

I especially enjoyed the sweet smell of bullshit emanating from him when - although he was a big Romney donor, his announcement came right after the election, and the law doesn't take effect for nearly a year and a half - he tried to claim with a straight face that his announcement had nothing to do with politics.

[Dr. Evil voice]
Oh, riiiiiiight, riiight.
[/quote]

As far as Domino's goes, I don't think Monaghan (founder) has much to do with them anymore. He sold the company back in the 90s. To...wait for it...Bain Capital.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Oh, yeah, nothing to do with politics at all. Nothing to do with pizza either. I prefer my local indie. Their pizza is made out of food and they keep their opinions to themselves.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Cool. It will be good to see it, and him, go through court.

fwliw - Dominos is the closest pizza shop to my house. They make my favorite pizza. They just lost my business.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I think I have to quit the internet - it's a world far too full of stupid for me to endure.

Domino's Pizza founder sues federal government over mandatory contraceptive coverage...

Glad I support my local, indie pizza place.

I absolutely don't agree with him, but the situation he is suing for is a real debate in federal (employment) law.

Is it the American federal justice system that is too stupid for you to stand, or this guy's personal views?

If it's his views, I definitely agree with the other side of what his case is likely to be.

Individual cases are so often how we get federal rights (including civil rights) decided by higher courts, that I can't fault him for taking his case to court if he feels it's a legitimate question of federal rights. It's not a stupid case in that way, imho. There are real arguments. I disagree with them, but they are legitimate.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Cool. It will be good to see it, and him, go through court.

fwliw - Dominos is the closest pizza shop to my house. They make my favorite pizza. They just lost my business.

Well, to be fair to Domino's, this guy doesn't really have anything to do with them anymore, so I think it should be fine for you to enjoy their pizza.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The proper response; Don't eat shitty pizza.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we have Gov. Bobby Jindal now advocating for over-the-counter birth control sales. This issue is front-and-center now for social conservatives, along with a whole bunch of others.

caw

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Well, to be fair to Domino's, this guy doesn't really have anything to do with them anymore, so I think it should be fine for you to enjoy their pizza.

Yeah. I don't know what "Domino's Farms" is exactly, but that's the company name he's having as a plaintiff, it says.

He filed a lawsuit Friday in federal court. It also lists as a plaintiff Domino's Farms, a Michigan office park complex that Monaghan owns.

(same link as OP)

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand how an employer thinks just because they find it immoral about birth control or abortion that they can disallow others. Sickening. I'm sick of people forcing their personal views on others.

But if the employer thinks it is immoral should they have to pay for it? Isn't it then the government forcing things on them?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
But if the employer thinks it is immoral should they have to pay for it? Isn't it then the government forcing things on them?

No. Any responsibility they have for health care, they knew about when they started their business. As long as they're not being forced to use birth control themselves, I don't really have much sympathy for them.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Domino's was founded in 1960, a long time before the passing of Obamacare. The birth control was not a requirement when they started their business. If the government can force things on a powerful pizza company, what can it do to citizens without much influence?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Domino's was founded in 1960, a long time before the passing of Obamacare. The birth control was not a requirement when they started their business. If the government can force things on a powerful pizza company, what can it do to citizens without much influence?

I'm confused. Are you saying companies can be routinely grandfathered in to not obeying laws?

In that case, why is Sears paying its employees more than 50 cents an hour, the going wage when it was founded in 1893?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Sheesh, this whole contraception thing you guys are getting into right now rather boggles the mind of this European.

Contraception should be free, as it is over here. That's the best way to prevent illness, unwanted pregnancies and the termination of same.

Watching the way the Sandra Fluke ugliness unfolded, I'm coming to the conclusion that the whole issue as currently debated in the USA is just a dog-whistle for patriarchy. That, in fact, much religion is in fact these days a fig leaf for patriarchal control of women. It's not about the constitution and it's not about scripture.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Watching the way the Sandra Fluke ugliness unfolded, I'm coming to the conclusion that the whole issue as currently debated in the USA is just a dog-whistle for patriarchy. That, in fact, much religion is in fact these days a fig leaf for patriarchal control of women. It's not about the constitution and it's not about scripture.

i think you are, at least partially, correct. But I believe it to be a larger experience, more about the fierce last gasps of an older generation trying to hold on to the world "as it was," the world as they lived in and built.

People don't want to see the institutions they were raised to hold as truth, or the structures they build, whether they be physical or societal, shown to be weak, false, failing or even merely insufficient to those they have worked to provide for.

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score

The government isn't forcing the individuals personally to take birth control or have an abortion. The government is requiring the company to pay for them. Like Celia Cyanide stated upthread, I have no sympathies for someone who would deny a woman access to birth control or an abortion.

And Torgo: This American's mind is boggled. Birth control should be readily available to everyone.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
What is it with pizza company founders and kooky partisan bullshit? Wasn't it just last month that the founder of Papa John's was so inexplicably butt hurt over Obamacare that he claimed he was gonna have to either raise the price of a pizza by 14 pennies or start immediately cutting hours and laying people off to compensate for the supposed financial hardship the health insurance requirement was gonna put in the company?

He said he needed to do this now for a requirement that doesn't take effect until 2014?

I especially enjoyed the sweet smell of bullshit emanating from him when - although he was a big Romney donor, his announcement came right after the election, and the law doesn't take effect for nearly a year and a half - he tried to claim with a straight face that his announcement had nothing to do with politics.

[Dr. Evil voice]
Oh, riiiiiiight, riiight.
[/voice]

As far as Domino's goes, I don't think Monaghan (founder) has much to do with them anymore. He sold the company back in the 90s. To...wait for it...Bain Capital.

Maybe there is a problem in the pizza industry and the food services industry in general?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
. The government is requiring the company to pay for them. .

They are requiring the company to provide an insurance plan, to which the worker probably contributes at least 50%. The only other option being not having access to proper health care at all.

They then want to force the insurance provider to not provide kinds of health care they don't like.

Whilst also not providing paid maternity leave. Basically their fertile female employers are being treated like crap either way unless they follow the only approved company approach of remaining a virgin. It's like the 18th century all over again.

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
They are requiring the company to provide an insurance plan, to which the worker probably contributes at least 50%. ... They then want to force the insurance provider to not provide kinds of health care they don't like. Whilst also not providing paid maternity leave. Basically their fertile female employers are being treated like crap either way.

Thanks for the clarification, veinglory. I'm not real clear on the specifics.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
The government isn't forcing the individuals personally to take birth control or have an abortion. The government is requiring the company to pay for them. Like Celia Cyanide stated upthread, I have no sympathies for someone who would deny a woman access to birth control or an abortion.

And Torgo: This American's mind is boggled. Birth control should be readily available to everyone.
Well, it's not as if birth control is only available to those who have it paid for by someone else.

According to Planned Parenthood:
  • Easy to get with a prescription
  • Cost about $15–$50 each month
Condoms are even more economical.

I don't see how Dominoes refusing to pay for its employees birth control is "denying" it to its employees any more than not paying its employee's food bills is denying them food.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, it's not as if birth control is only available to those who have it paid for by someone else.

According to Planned Parenthood:
  • Easy to get with a prescription
  • Cost about $15–$50 each month
Condoms are even more economical.

I don't see how Dominoes refusing to pay for its employees birth control is "denying" it to its employees any more than not paying its employee's food bills is denying them food.

If your only job is 30 hours a week in a pizza shop, you have no car, and you have no money--yes, $50 a month may be impossible. Or I could go the cheap option and have an implant that endangers my life.

Regardless, what healthcare I get is none of my employer's business. I am forced, compelled and required to get insurance through them. That is the sum total of their involvement. They don't get any input of any kind whatsoever into how I look after my womb.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Regardless, what healthcare I get is none of my employers damned business. I am forced, compelled and required to get insurance through them. That is the sum total of their involvement.
Agreed.

Still, it is not correct to say that Dominoes is "denying" them access to birth control.