Status
Not open for further replies.

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
The alumni of Seton Hill University's MFA - Writing of Popular Fiction program are running a Readings in the Genre class this winter/spring (1/21/2013 - 5/18/2013) and it is open to like-minded writers at no charge. It is a student-centered, discussion-oriented class designed to further our knowledge of the genre and to foster intelligent discussion on the novels, and our genre in general. While it is run by the Seton Hill alumni, it is neither officially sanctioned by nor affiliated with the university. For more information, you can check out the page here:
http://shuromance.yuku.com/
If you are interested, please sign up on the above site by Jan. 21st. The syllabus is on the site and the books should be obtained before the class begins.

Last edited:

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Interesting! May I ask why no titles published after the 80s have been chosen for the course (as well as the inclusion of Danielle Steele, who isn't "genre" romance)?

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
It's supposed to be "Classics of Romance." That would be the reasoning for not including more recent books. The idea is to provide for an examination on the foundational texts, while making sure the class is useful for those who took the Classics of Romance course at Seton Hill. This would be the reason for the notable absence of Jane Eyre. There is a different class on modern trends that looks at the recent stuff. Danielle Steel was chosen because she is an influential writer whose books had an impact on the Romance genre, even if they aren't technically shelved as Romance.

Last edited:

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
The class starts on Jan. 21st. Sign up today. This is a FREE class and it is open to all who are interested.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds interesting. Not sure if I would have time, but I will think about it. Thanks for letting us know.

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
I've had some questions about the enrollment process. I think the following will help to clear up some of that.

To join the class, go to:
http://shuromance.yuku.com/
1a) If you already have a Yuku password from a different Yuku-run forum, you can use the same one here. Just type in the Username and Password and click LOG IN.
1b) If you don't already have a Yuku account, you will need to create one. To do this, click SIGN UP in the top bar and go through the steps.
2) Once you are logged into your Yuku account, Go to Public Forum from the main SHU-Romance page.
3) Enter the " I want to join the class thread"
4) Make a post in that thread.
That will allow me to add you to the group that can see the actual class stuff.

A copy of the syllabus is also in the Public Forum section, so you can see what you're getting yourself into.

After I've set it so you can get into the private section, you should go to the General Discussion section and find the thread "Links to Purchase Books"
http://shuromance.yuku.com/topic/11/Links-to-Purchase-Books
and order the books, so you can be assured that you'll have them in time.

Feel free to explore the rest of the site and play with it a little bit so you're comfortable.

In order for the class to run smoothly, we do need a few facilitator volunteers. It's not really that much work, especially if a different person will volunteer for each novel. You can find out more about what it entails (and post which book you'd like to volunteer for) here:
http://shuromance.yuku.com/topic/9/Facilitator-Volunteers-Needed

You might want to add an avatar picture (I would suggest an actual headshot, so your classmates can put a face to a name). You can do this by clicking your username in the upper left-hand corner (where it says "Welcome {username}!") That will bring up your basic info page, which will show your avatar (or the blue, default avatar). Click on that and it will bring up a page where you can upload your own avatar. Browse your computer to find a suitable avatar picture (again, I'd suggest using an actual headshot) and click UPLOAD.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

Last edited:

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
After discussing it amongst ourselves (the Seton Hill alumni), we've decided to cut the essay on online chat requirement. If you were debating about the class, but didn't want to join because of those aspects, you can go ahead and join now.

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
Since the first book is in public domain, you can pick up an ebook free (and it's also very likely at your local library). This means you wouldn't have to get rush shipping or anything to get the rest of the books in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.