What are you reading?

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Chamber of Secrets, and now starting Prisoner of Azkaban. Also rereading Misery by Stephen King. Read it as a kid, and it really freaked me out (had to skip over parts). Now that I am much older, I want to give it another try.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read the harry Potter series more time than I can remember, but I've been thinking about starting them again. My brain is starting to shrink from not reading.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I've read the harry Potter series more time than I can remember, but I've been thinking about starting them again. My brain is starting to shrink from not reading.

I can't believe I waited this long. I have wanted to read them for years, but kept pushing it back. With the last movies coming out, I decided I wanted to finally read the series before that. And I am loving the books. They are long, and I don't read a lot of YA, but they are fun, quick reads.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Just finished Philip Roth's novel Indignation. Excellent.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Coetzee's Waiting for the barbarians. Not for nothing is he a Nobel laureate!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I waited this long. I have wanted to read them for years, but kept pushing it back. With the last movies coming out, I decided I wanted to finally read the series before that. And I am loving the books. They are long, and I don't read a lot of YA, but they are fun, quick reads.

I think Goblet of Fire is the best book in the series but a lousy movie adaptation. They left so much out of the movie, it was like watching a bad cliff note

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Chamber of Secrets, and now starting Prisoner of Azkaban. Also rereading Misery by Stephen King. Read it as a kid, and it really freaked me out (had to skip over parts). Now that I am much older, I want to give it another try.

Loved it!

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished River of Darkness by Rennie Airth (a must if, like me, you love historical mysteries from the early part of the century!)

I liked it so much I went out the next day and bought the second book in the series, The Blood Dimmed Tide!

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Small Island by Andrea Levy. WHY have I not already finished this? It's so fantastic!

I just finished To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. I can't claim to fully understand it... but it was beautiful.

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished John Grisham's The Innocent Man. Highly recommended.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
THe Passage by Justin Cronin. I cannot read fast enough to devour this book. It is mindblowingly amazing. I can't wait to get the ARC for the second one in the trilogy.

Also checking out The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Amy Bender. The language is very nice but the book is very episodic and herky jerky in backflashes and info dumps. I think you can really tell she's a short story writer at heart. She's lacking coherence in this book. Not sure I'll finish it.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite

This has been the most disturbing book I have ever read.

Last edited:

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
1. 360 Degrees Longitude by John Higham - One family's journey around the world. A true story, based on John Higham and his wife September and their two children, ages eight and eleven packing up their suburban lives good-bye to travel round the world.

2. O Bom Inverno, by Joao Tordo. A Portuguese Fiction thriller/Romance, and a bestseller in Portugal. A story about a frustrated writer, that goes to Budapest on a literary event, and is distant from where literary can really take him.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Barbarians to Angels: The Dark Ages Reconsidered, by Peter S. Wells (Norton, 2008). He shows that the common picture of the period of about 400 - 800 A.D. as benighted and stagnant is mistaken (or at least, misleading), as life went on much as before for most people, albeit with much less of a written record. Commerce was active and widespread, he argues on the basis of archeological evidence. Only about 200 pages (plus notes and index), with b/w photos and maps.

--Ken

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Monas Heiroglyphica - By John Dee, in the original Latin. Awesome find.

and

Inner Paths to Outer Space - By Rick Strassman, et. al.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Christine by Stephen King

I find it to be surprisingly good. I hated the movie version, thought it seemed tacky and cheesey and so wasn't expecting much of the book but, the book is pretty good.