Interesting Times in Egypt...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This just in

Egypt's president, Mohamed Morsi, has issued constitutional amendments granting himself far-reaching powers and ordered the retrial of leaders of Hosni Mubarak's regime for the killing of protesters in last year's uprising

<<Snip>>

Morsi also decreed that all the decisions he has made since taking office in June and until a new constitution is adopted are not subject to appeal in court or by any other authority, a move that places Morsi above oversight of any kind. He already has legislative powers after the lower chamber was dissolved days before he took office on 30 June.

Let's watch with interest, shall we?

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
Successful peace making is hard work. Ruling powers need all the tools they can get to "keep the peace".

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Successful peace making is hard work. Ruling powers need all the tools they can get to "keep the peace".
Wiretapping and secret torture prisons included.

Paving with good intentions seems to be rampant these days...

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Look at how many balls Morsi has to juggle. The US, his electorate, Hamas, Israel, various arab leaders. I guess he going to try and aqcuire as much power as he possibly can.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Look at how many balls Morsi has to juggle. The US, his electorate, Hamas, Israel, various arab leaders. I guess he going to try and aqcuire as much power as he possibly can.

This is nothing more than another episode in the sorry saga of Egyptian leadership. The only brightness in the political leadership of that nation since maybe an enlightened pharaoh (if there ever was one) was Anwar Sadat, who made peace with Israel. And got assassinated for his effort. Even Sadat wasn't exactly a paragon of democratic rule.

caw

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Why am I not surprised?

For that matter, should anyone be?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, nobody should be surprised :(

It sounds wonderful to have a revolution, but if you don't give it real teeth it'll get hijacked. The folks with the teeth were pretty obvious, and they are in power now. I was hoping very much that the really good guys had an ace in the hole. Nope. So sad.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
My thought? I wonder when the guillotines go up.

As I've said before, most revolutions install governments worse than the one they kicked out. I think it's because the people that wanted change decide they've won and go home or sit down to rest. But those going after power never rest.