Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
:( Waiting is the absolute worst! I'm querying right now, and I haven't slept through the night in over two weeks. I wake up at least once an hour with an overwhelming need to check my email. Hopefully that's not happening to you!
The worst is when you have dreams of acceptance or rejection. Or my favorite was when an agent I adore called me to ask something about one of my novels, but I couldn't understand what she was saying.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
*pokes her head in*

Wow....I think the last time I was here was something like 5-6 months ago. Hi all. This is Kyva, or at least I used to be. I thought this thread died ages ago. No one was ever on. Nice to see it's still going.

Best of luck on your edits, Sage.

Kuwi, I didn't know you were here. Hi!

And of course, a kind hello to everyone else. P. dragon, good luck on the agent hunt.

edit: Oop, looks like I need to disappear. Hubby wants to head out. Have a good day everyone.

Last edited:

inspiredbymusic

Registered
Reaction score
:( Waiting is the absolute worst! I'm querying right now, and I haven't slept through the night in over two weeks. I wake up at least once an hour with an overwhelming need to check my email. Hopefully that's not happening to you!
Hi everyone! This is my first post in this thread.

I recently had a dream in which I went to meet with an agent in his NY office. I waited there for hours and hours while all sorts of horribly disorganized nonsense went on. People came and went with various piles of papers. I was shifted from room to room. No one could find my submission. I was told that the agent wanted to represent me even though he only has a partial. Then I was panicked wondering if I should sign with such a disorganized mess when I haven't really even started submitting yet.
I was glad (though slightly disappointed) to wake up from that dream!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
The worst is when you have dreams of acceptance or rejection. Or my favorite was when an agent I adore called me to ask something about one of my novels, but I couldn't understand what she was saying.

Yeah - this was last week's dream session. Now I think I've gone numb.

*pokes her head in*

Wow....I think the last time I was here was something like 5-6 months ago.
And of course, a kind hello to everyone else. P. dragon, good luck on the agent hunt.

You were here about a month ago, or so. You popped in around midnight while I was asleep ;)

And thanks for the best wishes. I just want a response. The time waiting is getting to me *sighs*

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, P. Dragon. I don't remember much at all these days. I got a contract for an erotica piece, so I've been a tad busy.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Hello,peeps.

I have a full out right now and am resisting the crazed urge to peer at my email. I feel like my lil novel that could went from being in the backyard outhouse wearing horrid fashion to being right at the door in Dolce&Gabbana. I am pleased as punch,lol.

Of course,I have completely forgotten all the relentless editing and midnight bitch fits where I alternated between weeping uncontrollably and rolling on the floor.

We writers get MIGHTY uppity when a novel is polished like new rims,don't we?

To distract myself,I am now querying a vampire horror novel. Obviously,I have no sense to be doing so in a market that is quite tired of vamps but hey,it's fun being a lunatic.

I wish you all good luck!

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the grats, Sage. How are things going with Hero/Villain? Or your other projects (sorry, my brain is flaky right now)?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
H/V is getting interesting responses. For my last two query rejects, I was told that the agent had a current client writing a similar novel.

IaPT (MG) is waiting for a later month before I start querying again. Like April. Getting a little distance from Christmas might be better. Or worse. We'll see ;)

LS is due to come out in April.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Glad everyone is doing well. I wish I could get an agent. Writing is the fun part and believe it or not, so are the revisions but getting an agent has proved a bust so far. I'll keep submitting, and I'm still into the e-novel thing so there is that.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really care for editing, and sometimes I have no idea why I keep submitting to agents at all.

Giving it all one more try I suppose. ;)

Hope you get an agent soon.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I keep wanting to skip ahead and bring in the 2nd LI for my MC, but it's not time for her yet.

She has the better potential songs for the soundtrack, lol. This is probably my problem, tbh.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I keep wanting to send a polite email to the agent just to make sure she recieved the MS in the first place - and that it didn't just vanish in the interwebs.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have reason to believe it did? Like e-mail problems? If not, I say wait three months

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
It said 5-8 weeks for response to a Full [here and on her website], so I was going to wait the 8 weeks and then if I still hadn't heard anything - just make sure the MS made it there.

This is week 7 by the way.

I usually have my rejection in hand by now, even in response to a full. So now I'm worried the sub didn't actually go through. :/

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've had fulls last over a year. No matter what the agent (QT, BR&BC) says, mine almost always take longer than the estimated time. Unless, the agent specifically says to feel free to nudge her if she doesn't get back in the shorter time, I wait the 3 months. It's probably not a problem to do it at 8 weeks, and I understand how 2 months is an eternity when waiting on a full, but 3 months is standard and doesn't risk any appearance of impatience.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I've had fulls last over a year. No matter what the agent (QT, BR&BC) says... I wait the 3 months. It's probably not a problem to do it at 8 weeks, and I understand how 2 months is an eternity when waiting on a full, but 3 months is standard and doesn't risk any appearance of impatience.

Thanks, and good to know.

Yeah, one does not want to appear pushy/impatient/demanding - all bad words ;)

I don't care how long she takes with it. I just want to know that she got it.
*This is probably because she had replied so quickly to the query, and then the next day when I asked if ".rtf" was an acceptable format, she got back to me in 30 minutes [and it was 10pm her time]. So I think the nearly instant response of those two emails kind of spoiled me :)

She has been pretty busy lately according to her Twitter. That's outside of agenting/publishing stuff. Probably just hasn't gotten to it yet. :/

*sigh*

I want one of those little tracking systems like UPS has. One that says "you are here in the process, the agent has read this many pages"... boy wouldn't that be nice :D ;)

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, I haven't been on here in forever--and it makes me SAD! Grad school has been a big ole' bag of "rough!" But, just wanted to stop by and say I hope all your pens are flowing and your ideas are bright. :)

Spring break in two weeks. But who's counting?! Maybe I can finally return to my draft after I crawl out from a pile of homework.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I kind of fell off the face of the earth. I've been writing like mad to get this draft done.

Sage, I'm soooo happy LS found a home. Is it still YA, or did you change it again? I know you were thinking about it.

Hi, Dorothy!

Annnnnd now I'm back to writing. I promise to hang out more once I finish this draft. I m trying to plan a writing sprint every other month.

I wrote a 25k sci-fi in two days in January and am now working on an erotica shifter. I'm on day 3 and am sitting at about 33,000 words. Yes, I have no life during sprints.

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
It's quiet.

And now it's 7 or 8 weeks to the day since I subbed the MS. I'll have to check to see which it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.