How to get sticker residue off book covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
How do you remove that annoying gummy residue left behind when removing a bad sticker, without harming book covers?

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Scrapbook stores carry a sticker remover that is made for removing stickers from scrapbook pages without damaging the paper. I don't remember right off what it is called, but I bet the employees would know.

ltd.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Goo Gone works, but depending on the material, it could damage a book cover. (Would be fine for those shiny covers on paperback books, but if your book cover is porous, the scrapbook stuff is better. Doesn't damage paper.)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Please don't ever use fingernail polish remover on a book cover. Not only will it remove the residue, but it will also remove the cover's color. Been there, done that, didn't want the t-shirt.

If you know anyone who sells/buys Avon, Skin-So-Soft (the oil, nothing else in the line) gets rid of it and you only need a little bit.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's "Quickie" brand sticker remover (the bottle says "Quickie PROFESSIONAL Gunk and Goo Remover), it's like Goo Gone, but "better" - it acts faster and evaporates faster. Is this the stuff scrapbook stores sell (or sold)? With just a drop or two and a paint scraper (single-edged razor blade) I can get most stickers off in seconds, and another drop and a wipe with a paper towel takes away all the sticker glue. You have to act fast, because this stuff evaporates in seconds (keep the cap on the bottle!). The last bottle I bought about a year ago was $5 for a 4-ounce bottle at Home Depot, but it's a good deal as a little bit goes a long way (as long as you act fast). It might sometimes change the color of what it touches (but it's fine on the usual plastic coated DJ's and paperback covers), though in my experience this is rarer than with Goo Gone.

As with Goo Gone, use only in a ventilated area, keep it off your fingers (wear latex or similar thin gloves), and don't use near spark or flame. These are highly volatile petrochemical products, and ... I don't see it at their site http://www.quickie.com/
and this looks like a bad sign - looks like it's been banned in California and they quit making it: http://www.un-du.net/un-du_q_a.htm

And (while I was doing some research) someone doesn't like Home Depot selling Quickie brand brooms with wood handles made from endangered/rainforest species:
http://www.homedepotsucks.com/Still_Stealing_Home_2.pdf

Simple Living

Registered
Reaction score
Rubbing alcohol is like Hooked on Phonics -- it works for me.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Rubbing alcohol is like Hooked on Phonics -- it works for me.

Rubbing alcohol and a sheet or two of paper towel has never failed me. Not even in a used bookstore, when I had to take all manner of sticker residue off. And it doesn't have the godawful stench that Goo Gone does.

LIVIN

Registered
Reaction score
Urine will do the trick... assuming you don't mind a book that smells like piss.

rescue67

Registered
Reaction score
un-du products (Scrapper's Solution, Adhesive Remover, Sticker and Decal Remover, PhotoCare, Candle Wax Remover and Quickie Gunk & Goo Remover) all were the same product marketed with different labels. The chemical used is N-Heptane. They all are acid free and work to quickly neutralize the adhesive properties of self adhesive items like stickers, decals, pin strips, tapes, labels, and such. This neutralization occurs within seconds and quickly releases the item from almost any surface. There is a caution not to use on 'unfinished' leather products. These products also work well for removing crayon, tar, tree sap and tape residue. They are safe to use on paper, painted walls, furniture, plastics, glass, cars and trucks, photos, film... just about any surface except unfinished leather.

There is a smell until the product dries (literally seconds). There is no residue from the chemical, thus no lingerng smell.

Aspen Shops Online at www.aspenshopsonline.com used to carry the entire line of un-du products and since un-du quit manufacturing their products, Aspen has a replacement product. It will look familiar, because it's Bestine Solvent (used to thin rubber cement). Bestine is also N-Heptane and will do everything un-du did. The only problem....un-du came with really great scrapers attached to the bottles. Bestine does not, so if you have any old un-du bottles hang on to them to refill with Bestine. Otherwise, you could use an eyedropper to direct Bestine under the edge of your stickers as you remove them.

The best thing about N-Heptane is it works with far more types of adhesives, works very fast, dries fast, leaves no residue or smell and is safe on so many products. It is volatile, flammable, and smells while the bottle is open, but disperses quickly. Use gloves! I saw the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) and it is not harmful to your health (unless you ingest it!).

rescue67

Registered
Reaction score
The un-du products are back

As a followup to the previous post. Un-du products are back and I carry them in my online store. This means you don't have to buy those pint cans of Bestine and as un-du is available in 4 oz bottles with the neat scraper on top. Look for un-du Sticker, Tape & Label Remover. Not readily available in your local stores yet, but we have plenty at www.un-du.net. Thanks for allowing me to share this with you.

raggedyann

Registered
Reaction score
I used a little water and dish soap on a non abrasive sponge that is used for non stick pans. I rubbed the sticker then used my fingernails to get as much of the sticker off the book cover as possible. There was a sticky residue left even though all the sticker was off. Rubbed some rubbing alcohol on the area. I then took a little olive oil and rubbed the sticky area and the stickiness was finally all gone. Do to use paper towels just a sponge or wash cloth. This was a text book, shiny cover not just a thin paperback book. I am sure the other products that are made specifically for removing stickers works but I needed it now and did not want to spend any money buying any product.

Status
Not open for further replies.