• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Inkwell Management

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
450k? Wow. Even at 300 words per page that's 1,500 pages? She agreed to see the whole thing even though you indicated the size in a query? You can make 4 books out of that. Two months may be on the low side. Good luck.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Sent Catherine my manuscript February 18th, received a quick "Thanks!" the next day...and still waiting to hear more. It is a very long manuscript (450,000 words), so I figure she'll need at least two months to get through it, with the rest of her busy schedule. Noticed she just had a major signing last week. Go Catherine!

Did you include the word count in your query?

In any case, some people take a long time to get to fulls, even if they're shorter. I generally wouldn't consider nudging until after 3 months had passed unless I was told specifically that they would be back in less.

DocsLadie

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it's 1118 pages space-and-a-half. Huge! Read my post above for the previous submission on this story. I probably won't nudge her at all, knowing that she knows me and my work and will definitely give the work the attention it needs. She's awesome and I am willing to wait for her. Thanks!

DocsLadie

Registered
Reaction score
Update: Two months April 18th and still waiting. No news is good news, I'm told...

DocsLadie

Registered
Reaction score
Three months on Wednesday, and still no news -- until a very nice, very brief email in the middle of the night last night (Australia is 14 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time): "I'm afraid that I haven't started yet. Too many manuscripts, too little time!" Then some legal advice on sending it to "readers" via Kindle, and signed "Warm regards." All in all, a very nice update -- though of course, I'd rather she'd have read it already and found me five or six competing publishing offers! Though long as it is, I'll be happy with one brave editor at one forward-thinking publisher who knows that in an eBook world, length matters little, and that Gone With the Wind and Lonesome Dove were both epic and huge bestsellers in print. So I will remain patient and wait on Catherine, the best agent in the business, who happily still has "warm regards" for me! Another update at Month Four or (hopefully!) sooner! But for now, back to Stede Bonnet, the erstwhile owner of a Barbados sugar plantation with a love of sailing in his heart!

DocsLadie

Registered
Reaction score
Another nice note today (5/30), apologizing for taking so long, and freeing me to query other agents if I am tired of waiting. And still "warm regards." I'll wait!

Grover

Registered
Reaction score
Last summer, I received a request for my full manuscript from Ethan Bassoff along with a favor. He mentioned that he'd be travelling, but that he'd printed the manuscript and put it in his bag to read and asked for an exclusive so that he would have sufficient time. A year has now gone by with no word. I followed-up after the one-month exclusive period, but didn't receive a response. All follow-up emails have gone unanswered.

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
Elisa Petrini-No Longer at Inkwell

Elisa Petrini is no longer at Inkwell; appears to have left a month or so ago. Does anyone know if she's with another agency?

Scribelady

bershka

Does anyone know if Richard Pine is accepting submissions or not?

On all the pages I have searched online so far, it says that he does not accept unsolicited queries.

Cheers!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
i don't know, but since Inkwell is bumped up, any other responses from Catherine Drayton lately? i queried her in mid-July and got no response. requeried in mid-August (thinking it hadn't gone through, since others had queried and gotten responses after me and she's reputed to be sooo fast) and still no response. has she turned non-responder? or does her email hate my email?

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Catherine Drayton on 9-19 and received a request for a partial on 9-20.

Wish me luck!

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with David Hale Smith -- his response times, etc? I believe he's relatively new at Inkwell; had his own agency before that.

Scribelady

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
About 6 weeks for a response from David Hale Smith, but worth the wait. He did not offer representation for this novel, but is willing to take a look at revisions of another when I done. My interactions with him this time and when I first queried him on another project two years ago have been nothing but positive. Inkwell is fortunate to have him on board.

bershka

Thank you! I sweated blood and cried a river for that query letter of the damned. Hopefully,I am getting close to the next step aka a request for a full.

Out of curiosity, have you received a request for a full from Catherine Drayton?

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Query sent

Sent an email query to David Forrer this evening for a historical fiction. Will post back when I hear a response.
Bryan

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Sent an email query to David Forrer this evening for a historical fiction. Will post back when I hear a response.
Bryan

Received a polite and complimentary rejection today. I was quite pleased with it in a strange kind of way...