Greetings and Apparently I suck

max929

Fear is a only a barrier
Registered
Reaction score
At everything I have tried to do professionally. I just can't stop my mind from examining everything that I see out of balance around me. I have made myself unemployable because I can't keep my mouth shut to corporate about stupid policies. After graduating cum laude w/a degree in Criminal Justice, I couldn't stomach my field after discovering that it wasn't about reform like we were told, it was a business model based on exploitation...have money and a good lawyer, do whatever you want...don't, well than sign this piece of paper and we'll limit your sentence.

It isn't that I'm incompetent, I just can't be part of something I don't believe in. FF to present day, my wife in all her wisdom has asked me to stop chasing shadows and rope the unicorn, i.e. pursue the one career that seems like a natural fit for me...writing. However, I wasn't really sure where to start and then I came across the Absolute Write Water Cooler.

I hope I haven't bored or alienated to many of you fellow journeyman/women on this board, but this is who I am and it has taken me 32 years to discover what I just summarized in two paragraphs. The power of the pen (or key board) is truly amazing. TY all for taking a minute to read my story and I hope to learn as much as I can from each of you.

Regards

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Write_Askew

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Max! Welcome to the cooler!

Keep your chin up. There's a lot of us still working towards what we want from life. Exploring your options is the only way to do that, and trust me when I say, there's plenty of us who failed once (or a hundred) times before we found something we're good at that we love.

You're going to love it here. This is a great community that values honest opinion and is very supportive.

Good luck!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. :welcome: to the Water Cooler!

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! And don't worry - it's never too late to find your perfect career. Many of the writers here at AW started their writing careers after they spent years doing something else (myself included).

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Hi, Max. Welcome to aye-dub. Roll up your sleeves and gird your loins. (Not necessarily in that order. . . wait, maybe it is. . .)

Weird day. I'll shut up now. :D

Darkh0rse

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Max. I hope this change of direction is good for you.

They say change is as good as a holiday. Enjoy!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. You don't suck. I think a lot of people know exactly how it feels to become disillusioned with a field.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Max!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.

and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area are explained here.

This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work posts.
*Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

max929

Fear is a only a barrier
Registered
Reaction score
TY all for the warm welcome, I have already taken a quick tour and this forum is an encyclopedia of literary knowledge, like a Costco for the journalistic impulse. I have already found information ranging from approaching an agent to proper grammar. I will continue making the rounds.

From a personal perceptive, it is so reassuring to be surrounded by those who have traveled similar paths and fallen off similar ladders to arrive where they always should have been.

Centaurus

Into the fray of the query process
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Max, and welcome to AW

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Max.

I'm new on the board and was going to read through some of the intros before posting mine.

Sounds like your trip's been running parallel to mine.