Arizona Repubs want their high school seniors to swear an oath to god to graduate?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Link, from Legiscan

Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Title 15, chapter 7, article 1, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 15-701.03, to read:
15-701.03. Graduation requirement; constitutional oath
BEGINNING IN THE 2013‑2014 SCHOOL YEAR, IN ADDITION TO FULFILLING THE COURSE OF STUDY AND ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS PRESCRIBED IN THIS CHAPTER, BEFORE A PUPIL IS ALLOWED TO GRADUATE FROM A PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL IN THIS STATE, THE PRINCIPAL OR HEAD TEACHER OF THE SCHOOL SHALL VERIFY IN WRITING THAT THE PUPIL HAS RECITED THE FOLLOWING OATH:
I, _________, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; THAT I TAKE THIS OBLIGATION FREELY, WITHOUT ANY MENTAL RESERVATION OR PURPOSE OF EVASION; AND THAT I WILL WELL AND FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THESE DUTIES; SO HELP ME GOD.

I guess some of these foreign exchange students are gonna be just screwed.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Even if it passes, the Supreme Court will toss it out on numerous grounds.

And what God do they want the seniors to swear an oath to?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is there some sort of contest between Arizona and Florida for most batshit crazy state?

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
What a load of carp! The very term "requirement" negates the possibility that the obligation is taken "freely". And what Willibee said. Is there something funky in the water out west or what?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
That's them realizing that their primary power base is getting old and dropping dead of concentrated stupid. They need to start indoctrinating more youth, stat!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Swearing to uphold the Constitution? I thought that was the President's job. Or Congress'.

It's pretty nasty to quire a loyalty oath just so kids can graduate. Heck, I don't think even police officers have to swear that. The swearing by the Judeo-Christian god is only the icing on the cake.

I am afraid that it is no surprise that this legislation is being proposed in Arizona.

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
It's against the law to force children to pledge allegiance to the flag any more, and they think they can force young adults to swear an oath to God? It's completely unconstitutional. So glad I'm not an AZ resident. I am legally an FL resident, but AZ really takes the crazy prize on this one.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Seems the author of the bill (Thorpe) is backing off a bit:

"Thorpe said he is planning on offering an amendment to the bill when it goes to committee that would make taking the oath optional rather than mandatory."

Doesn't make the original idea any less stupid.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
How can people this stupid, evil, and anti-American keep getting elected to positions of any sort of power?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
How can people this stupid, evil, and anti-American keep getting elected to positions of any sort of power?

“No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” ~ Edmund Burke

First, you take a contented populace, then you make them fearful. You tell them of the dangers that surround them. You tell them of those who would destroy their way of life, their very beliefs. You begin to put faces to those dangers. You never let up until every face they see is that of a potential enemy. Then, when their fear is great enough, you tell them you have the answer and that you can protect them. Once they believe you will protect them, they'll accept every depredation as being for their safety.

It's a simple and effective formula that has worked throughout history.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I, _KEN_, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; THAT I TAKE THIS OBLIGATION FREELY, WITHOUT ANY MENTAL RESERVATION OR PURPOSE OF EVASION; AND THAT I WILL WELL AND FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THESE DUTIES; SO HELP ME GOD.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
The God part is patently ridiculous, and offensive, but I find having to swear to uphold the Constitution equally so. Effectively they are telling students not to challenge laws they see as wrong and cloaking it in patriotism.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently they're going straight from the Prom to Boot Camp.

That's exactly what I thought!

Oh for crying out loud. I love it when state legislators have a state that's in such great shape they have nothing else better to do. /sarcsasm

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
“No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” ~ Edmund Burke

First, you take a contented populace, then you make them fearful. You tell them of the dangers that surround them. You tell them of those who would destroy their way of life, their very beliefs. You begin to put faces to those dangers. You never let up until every face they see is that of a potential enemy. Then, when their fear is great enough, you tell them you have the answer and that you can protect them. Once they believe you will protect them, they'll accept every depredation as being for their safety.

It's a simple and effective formula that has worked throughout history.
That all sounds eerily familiar. Have you read Michael Crichton's State of Fear? I swear there's a professor or similar who makes almost that identical speech at one point. :)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
[Godwin]

How long before they are asked to swear to defend the person of the Fuhrer Rush?