• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

To The or not to The

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
Just read where a guy's wife looked like "the actress Jean Simmons."

Is that better than writing "looked like actress Jean Simmons"?

I've read in (snarky) magazines that a celebrity married "one Jack Smith."

What are your thoughts? (Okay, this topic probably applies more to magazines, but I've always wondered.)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Context is all.

Can't say I would stop to wonder about any of these too much.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
In this case I wouldn't use "the actress", just "actress." Notice every time they give celebrity news in TV or online, they say "actor George Clooney" or "actor Richard Gere" instead of "the actor George Clooney" or "the actor Richard Gere".

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

u.v.ray

greatest writer of his generation
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.uvray.moonfruit.com
Obviously one can write it either way. It depends on which best suits your intentions with a piece.

For instance, dropping the speeds up the pace. That's just one example.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I would say don't compare the wife to Jean Simmons at all. Especially if you don't think the reader will know who she is, which is suggested by using 'actress'. What's the use of comparing someone we can't see to someone we've never heard of?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poor little comma wants to be remembered- that's all. ;)

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I would say use "the" if you need to distinguish between two people with the same name. If, for example, there was an actress names Jean Simmons and a well-known author with the same name, then I would. But that's more a personal preference. Using "actress" or "actor" probably isn't necessary otherwise, but of course, there are people like me who lost track of actors/actresses sometime after the 80s so might need a hint as to who's being discussed...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd just say "looked like Jean Simmons". If readers know who Jean Simmons is, you don't need "actress". If readers don't know, using "actress" isn't going to help, and they still won't have a clue how the wife looks.

eparadysz

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps in this case it was used to distinguish between Jean Simmons and Gene Simmons (the latter being a less flattering comparison).

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Perhaps in this case it was used to distinguish between Jean Simmons and Gene Simmons (the latter being a less flattering comparison).

Could be worse. Could be Richard Simmons.

(As to using "the" or not: This depends on sentence rhythm. Let your ear tell you.)

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

"actress Jean Simmons" feels like journalese. You have the license - maybe the obligation - to take out the article to save space, even though I don't think it's grammatical in standard English. All things being equal, listen to your ear, as JDM says.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Best of all is probably to describe Jean Simmons, without using her name. If you must, use the article (and Bufty's comma after "actress").

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

What are your thoughts? (Okay, this topic probably applies more to magazines, but I've always wondered.)

So who is Jean Simmons and what does she look like?

Michelle Pfeiffer twenty years ago having a really good day?

Danny DaVito in a frock with a really bad make-up job and a shocking hangover last Monday?

Inclusion of current brand names and comparison of fictional characters to actual celebrities cheapens novels in the eyes of a lot of readers.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
You use a definite article to add emphasis or to differentiate between things, so it could be that there is more than one Jean Simmons, in which case you're saying 'the actress, Jean Simmons' as opposed to, for instance, the celebrity chef Jean Simmons.

But in all honesty, I think it's just a style thing. To me it sounds better to use the definite article when making comparisons, but a comma is needed.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

I'd say -- don't make comparisons to obscure people. Thanks to Uncle Jim for posting a link to a Jean Simmons photo, because otherwise I would've been forced to Google her, never having heard of her before.

When you compare a character to something or someone, you want to produce an instant visual, not a blank canvas.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Even here, if the reader doesn't know the difference by the spelling, saying "actress" won't change it. If a reader has no clue what Jean Simmons looks like, saying "actress" won't change this.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The presence or absence of the definite article is immaterial. Either works. As a reader, I'd never notice.

BUT: If you're going to compare someone's appearance to that of a famous person, you're well served to make sure the comparative celeb is REALLY well-known. As in, universally. "Jean Simmons" doesn't work for me, and I'm an old bastard. I know she was a famous actress, but I wouldn't recognize her face in a lineup of famous actresses of her era.

Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Elvis (either the thin one or the fat one), Groucho Marx, Adolf Hitler, John F. Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Martin Luther King, those figures are pretty much timeless, known to everyone. Jean Simmons? Not so much. Nor Gene Simmons, either, without his makeup.

caw

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
And i don't think it matters, personally. It depends on how you want the sentence to flow.

But as Bufty noted, it's "The actress, Jean Simmons."

If you drop "the," no comma is needed.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would write it without the the.

Status
Not open for further replies.