Here goes...

MikeCheck

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Greetings from Chicago! I've been perusing a few writing forums over the past week, and this morning finally decided to take that big step and actually register an account.

And what's an introduction without a little background? I grew up in Portland, OR and moved to Chicago about three years ago for work. By day, I work in the online travel industry, managing hotel supplier relations in the Midwest U.S. and Canada. By night, I'm an avid reader and fan of all things fiction.

A while back, out of the blue, I got bit by the writing bug and decided that I wanted to try my hand at writing a fiction novel. At first it was a strictly personal pastime, but as my novel progressed I began to realize that I had a story here that I eventually wanted to share. Two years and 122,000 words later, I finished the first draft of my manuscript. I went through it again for a round of major edits, and then built up the courage to send it over to a literarily-inclined friend of mine to review, with strict instructions that he not try to spare my feelings whatsoever with his feedback.

If he'd told me it sucked, I would have accepted that, scrapped the project, and moved on. Believe it or not, though, he liked it, which means I've actually got to try to move forward with this thing under the premise that maybe--just maybe--others will like it, too. How annoying!

So here I am: completely out of my element but excited and ready to learn. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this community and working together toward making my pipe dream a potential reality.

Thanks for your hospitality!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mike, that's an inspiring story. Welcome! You'll find a lot here to support you as you pursue this. Good luck with it.

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Mike,

Welcome to AW! Good luck with your WIP!

Tell me, do you miss the warm wet weather of the Northwest?

MikeCheck

Registered
Reaction score
Ha--between growing up in the Northwest, going to school in Upstate New York, and now living in Windy City, I really can't seem to luck out with weather. Next time I move, it better be somewhere warm!

Speaking of warm, thanks for all of your welcomes.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Welcome, Mike. I guess I'll jump on the Oregon bandwagon...grew up in LO, couldn't wait to get out and now think it would have been a nice place to stay. Oh well.

You sound like you're off to a great start on your goal to write. I'm sure you'll find this a great place to find resources and feedback (eventually). Good luck with it.

WyattEarp

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Mike, that's a great story. Wish all the best for you and your novel. If your anything like me (who finished my 131,000 word "masterpiece" before I joined the board) you'll realize how much more you can learn hanging around here. Go to the Query Letter Hell section to start the next step. That's where I'm at...

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mike!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Yeah, sometimes it would be easier if people just told you you sucked. But when they say it has potential, that's all the more difficult because you know you have to try.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

JDMorgan

Learning More As Life Goes On
Registered
Reaction score
Hello from the snowy wilds of Canada! Wow, impressive about your book. Hope you find a great place for it. :)