• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The old Willing Beta Readers thread has been running for just under three years now. Although not as long as, say, the Learn Writing with Uncle Jim thread, it's becoming a bit unwieldy. Some members who posted in the old thread are no longer active on AW, or they can no longer act as beta readers.

So, I believe it's in the forum's interest to start a new thread.

If you are interested in becoming a beta reader for someone on AW, please leave a reply with your genre preference and any other info you'd like members to know. Should you become unavailable to beta in the future, I'd appreciate it if you could come back here and edit your post to reflect your status.

DO NOT POST in this thread asking for a beta reader. I will move any requests into their own threads. Or I might just delete it.

Feel free to peruse the old thread for potential beta readers, just be aware that thread (especially the earlier pages) is not current.

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Willing Beta Readers Index

This post currently serves as a placeholder. I intend to index this thread eventually to make it easier for members to find a potential beta match.

VeggieChick

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be happy to beta horror. No fantasy, although I could give sci-fi a try. I have no problem with any kind of content except animal death (dead people are fine, though) and both short stories and novels are fine, any level.

heth718

With a passion!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hmarycole.web.officelive.com
I have received quite a few responses to this post.
So #1 this thread works great.
#2 I have accepted a few MS's already and do not have time to review any additional pieces at this time..

Last edited:

Becky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kingsleyfamilyportrait.blogspot.com
I'm interested in beta-ing. I'm 17, and in school, so please be aware that I may have to keep you waiting a little if homework/essays/revision go manic! I'm interested in Contemporary YA or Adult and YA or Adult Romance. If yours is another genre, feel free to ask - I may be interested, I just can't think what I'm interested in right now! I don't mind a little fantasy or paranormal, but don't tend to read them as a main genre.

Sex, language, drugs etc. don't bother me - the only thing I don't like is horror/gruesome death etc. I tend to critique line-by-line in terms of spelling/grammar/syntax, and give overall views and impressions. PM me if you're interested!

Edit: Now unavailable. I've had quite a few manuscripts, and will be tackling NaNo next month, so no new beta projects until after that!

Last edited:

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
EDIT: I will not be accepting any more beta projects at the moment. Sorry!

I'm willing to beta read anything from middle grade to YA. I have a soft-spot for fantasy, sci-fi (particularly dystopian) and literary-ish contemporary.

I'm still in school so there will be periods where it will be impossible for me to take on anything at all. On the other hand, there will be other times where I'm dying from boredom--if it's one of those times I'll be really quick at getting everything back (within a few days or less).

I can do overall and a bit of less intensive line-by-line (but not very specific grammar edits because I'm no grammar expert). I can also give a teenager's insight for YA novels.

PM me if you're interested!

Last edited:

ashara76

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to beta-read if needed. I have a wide range of interests (excluding horror and short stories). I am also willing to beta-read incomplete works as long as there are at least three chapters.

I'm an English major so I tend to nit-pick line by line--let me know if you'd rather I didn't, I can always adjust my style to just give you an overall feel of my opinion rather than getting into the technical nitty-gritty.

I'm also a quick read, so expect turnaround within 1-3 days depending on my schedule and length of submission. (Saturday-Tuesday are best as I work half-days in that time-frame and can get a lot done).

PM me if I can be of service

***Currently unavailable until further notice. Laptop is dead. I can work on edits during the week (hardcopy), then type and email them on the weekend. 1-week turnaround time. Please note: I am having an issue with Juno members. Please email me if you have not received your edits and I will resend.

Last edited:

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I'll beta read fiction or nonfiction. Just no romance, chick lit, pre-teen or erotica.

ricmic

New kid, be as you like!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll beta read almost all kind of fiction and non-fiction, but no romance, no erotica. My favorites are anything suspense: mystery, thriller, crime, what have you.

Just PM me.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I'm willing to beta read crime (true crime or fiction) mystery, thriller, police procedural, anything along those lines. I'll even wander into adventure or military. I am nit-picky and enjoy helping out with the technical aspects of writing, but will also give you an overall impression. Please don't ask me to just pat you on the back and say good job. :D I'll read short stories or novels. I'll look at unfinished work, and love to discuss things like where the story should be going.

I've been writing for a very long time, have written three novels (unpublished) and have published thirteen short stories, all crime fiction.

pm me if you're looking for a reader.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
I am willing to beta read just about any genre of YA (I don't have much experience with crime, mystery or horror, but I'll give it a go!), especially fantasy, sci-fi, romance, realistic, paranormal, or nonfiction. I've got a bachelor's degree in creative writing, and have written four novels myself (one of which is currently making the submission rounds, and one of which has a few interested editors, but still needs work before I'll submit it). I'm pretty good with grammatical errors, as well as overall plot edits. I prefer to read novel-length works (40k or more words), since I don't have as much experience with short stories.

PM me if you're interested!

Last edited:

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I work as a full-time freelancer, so non-fiction is right up my alley, but I'd I'd beta read anything (fiction/nonfiction) except fantasy. Absolutely no urban fantasy. Horror most welcome.

ETA: Sorry, but I won't beta for members who have zero posts. I don't have a lot of time, so I would rather beta for those who are active here.

Last edited:

jennibly

Registered
Reaction score
I am always a willing beta!

I love to help with fiction, preferably YA, MG, fantasy, and mystery. I'm okay with some romance but I'm not particularly well-read in that genre so I probably don't have the best insights if you're writing serious romance. I tend to shy away from excessive gore, swearing, shock value, etc. I'm not overly conservative, I just don't like the stuff that makes me squirm.

I read pretty quickly and I usually do a "real time" bullet list, outlining reactions and thoughts as I have them, and then a summary of my experience. I touch on grammar and word use but, unless that's the ONLY thing you want feedback on, I tend to focus on the bigger issues like character development and plot points.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need a reader! :)

AshElizabeth

Registered
Reaction score
I'm willing to be a beta for YA whether it be humor/ fantasy/ mystery. I'm currently finishing up a degree in Criminology, so I lean more towards mystery novels because I have knowledge in the area and can offer up my opinion when something isn't realistic enough if cops or whatever are involved. I know procedures and all that, so feel free to pm me. I'm taking writing courses, but that is NOT my major, so don't pm if you're looking for mainly grammar mistakes. i have a clear concept of grammar but don't want to look at anything riddled with mistakes.

Also, nothing heavy with the prose or lots of angst. And, I've taken karate my whole life so if you send me something with action I WILL rip it apart if it sounds cheesy. that's all. . .

JoshEllingson

Registered
Reaction score
I am willing to beta high fantasy, dark fantasy, and horror. They must be novel length and for adults though.

Last edited:

bkrause

Registered
Reaction score
I am willing to beta mainstream, contemporary, or literary novels. PM would usually be the best way to reach me.

silvertouch

A Fruit Loop Surrounded by Cheerios
Registered
Reaction score
Website
liamsscribbles.blogspot.com
I would absolutely love to be a beta tester. Fiction: YA, thrillers. Fantasy is great. Thrillers are awesome. I generally like novel-length manuscripts because they actually last me a day...or a half of one. But shorts are great, too. PM or email would be best. Although I'm really quite harsh, I think. Especially with grammar/syntax/orthography/etc.

EDIT: Um, yeah. No longer available. I will repost when I am available again, but right now, I have two full edits, on on contemplation, NaNoWriMo, and my zillion other novels to actually WRITE!

Last edited:

metaldreamer

Registered
Reaction score
I will beta read for you. I am an avid reader and would give feedback in the form of the big picture. If line-by line is wanted; I am not your girl. Fantasy, urban fantasy, sci-fi, fiction-suspence, some romance, and yes to horror. No westerns.
[email protected]

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
Not available for beta reading at the moment, too busy. Sorry.

- Preferred genres: Mainstream, literary, mystery and suspense, fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction, western, nonfiction.
- No erotica. Romance only if literary. Women's fiction acceptable; I'm not exactly a big fan, but I've been known to read it during long flights.
- Horror and thrillers are fine in theory, but I usually don't like them.
- MG and YA must not have been inspired by Twilight.
- Vampires only if your take on them is original.
- Work has to have been completed and revised several times. Send me only the best you can do on your own.
- Sex, violence, swearing etc is okay.

Last edited:

year90ninezero

following a secret path
Registered
Reaction score
WILL BETA STARTING ON DEC. 1st 2009!

Genres: litfic, speculative, experimental, mainstream, horror, fantasy, sf, thriller, etc.

Favorite authors are W.S. Burroughs, LeGuin, Dick, Greene, Flaubert, Dostoevsky, Beckett, Lovecraft, so on. Stephen King is good. I read a George R.R. Martin book once.

Prefer adult oriented fiction that has been worked on significantly. I'm not going to enjoy fixing comma fault and spelling errors.

Something with a strong style will help me finish the beta!

PM me a synopsis and I'll let you know if I want to beta yr book.

CURRENTLY: OPEN FOR SYNOPSIS, NOT READING

Sindaena

Registered
Reaction score
I'm willing to beta read fantasy and sci fi for adults, YA or MG. I prefer longer short stories (10K-17K) or full length novel (40K+). I also prefer completed works that have already been through at least one full revision, not first drafts or works in progress.

PM if interested.

bramble

Registered
Reaction score
I'm between projects and willing to Beta. Not a huge fan of war or spy books, but a good story is a good story regardless of genre!

Update: My plate is full for the moment. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.