query credit question

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
I suspect this goes in the dumb question category, but I'm turning over all the stones. Would an agent consider a ForeWord Magazine selection for review with any weight as a query credit?

Not the text of the review, simply that it was selected. My thought is that it's only an indication of a very slightly less small fish in a small pond, but don't want to overlook anything.

Thanks in advance!

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Sorry--do you mean you had a book reviewed by them? And should you put that in a query? If so, I think that sales of previous works count more than reviews of said works. At least as far as publishers are concerned.

I could be wrong, though. I'm not too familiar with ForeWord and how prestigious a review with them might be. Definitely listen to others if you get counter-advice.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Thanks for responding, amschilling ... I just don't know if ForeWord Magazine is on an agent's radar. As for sales due to the inclusion, it bumps sales - ForeWord goes to the major fairs such as Frankfurt and gives away a pile of magazines. But even though they only feature a half dozen works of fiction per issue, the books run the gamut from small press to self-pub. I mean there are plenty of Algonquin titles, for instance, but they seem to promote the micro-presses.

I have no idea if an agent would know the extent of the selection process at the magazine, and thus give a flying hoot or not.

Sorry--do you mean you had a book reviewed by them? And should you put that in a query? If so, I think that sales of previous works count more than reviews of said works. At least as far as publishers are concerned.

I could be wrong, though. I'm not too familiar with ForeWord and how prestigious a review with them might be. Definitely listen to others if you get counter-advice.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I think most legit agents look at publication credits to see if they recognize the venue. Asimov's, Weird Tales, Fantasy & SF, Atlantic, New Yorker, Ploughshares, Paris Review, Iowa Review, Glimmer Train would probably get their attention. Doug's On-Line Cool E-Mag . . . probably not.

caw

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
After seeing this question asked a lot, and seeing query letters that resulted in requests for manuscripts, I've come to the conclusion (though I'm not an agent, so use the requisite grain of salt) that if it's relevant to your ability as a writer of fiction and expressed succinctly, you may as well include it.

The only such bio information that seems to be universally frowned upon are things that have no bearing on your ability to write this book and mark you as an amateur, like, "I write technical manuals for my job" or "I have three children" (and your book is a sci-fi thriller).

If the agent knows ForeWord as a credit (and if it's used at Frankfurt, I would imagine s/he would), it will mean something, if she otherwise likes the query, but doesn't know of it, she may look it up. Or, if he doesn't like the query, he may not care anyway. So...I say, mention it briefly at the end of an otherwise stellar query and let the agent decide if it matters—it probably won't hurt you, but it probably won't turn a, "I'm not interested in this book" into a request, either.

Last edited: