Status
Not open for further replies.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
But you could change the setting to Blingern, Saturn, 500 earth-years in the future. THAT could be interesting! And Holmes could be from Earth, while Watson is from Mercury. He's absolutely freezing to death in Saturn's cold climate.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I recommend reading fifty stories in a row from Fanfiction.net to simulate the slush-reading experience that agents and editors go through.

That's just scary. (Of course alot of what's written on FFn gets "OMG you should be writing novels" tagged to it at some point, so I guess that's an accurate comparison.)

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
alright vs. all right

Hi Uncle Jim,

It used to be that alright meant that a person was well nothing was wrong. All right literally meant is everyone well. One person vs. a group. Then alright was considered a lazy way of saying all right and not everybody agreed with its use. I read somewhere that alright is no longer considered passable if you choose to use it in your story because it's considered lazy.

After all of that, my question is: Should alright be changed to all right? Or should I consider its usage?

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
...Style sheet?

If you don't specify exactly what non-standard usage you are using in your novel, your copyeditor will do so. He/she will generate a list of character names, invented words, and other usage not in the publisher's style manual (often related to the Chicago Manual of Style). This allows you and the publisher to agree on which rules you are going to break, and to break them consistently.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
James- Thanks for all of this. It's really great. I'm reading several pages of posts a day until I'm done. I'll take breaks if information needs time to marinate. But this is really fabulous! I see that you recommend joining a critique group or writer's workshop. In my town, there is a writer's group but it is for Christian writers. I have nothing against Christian writing, but it's not what I write. I went to it for a while and it was very beneficial. There were three or four ladies out of maybe ten that are published authors (though not widely). But honestly, most had not kept up with the "information super highway."

Anyway- there is not a group that really fits my needs here in town. It is an artsy town so I know there are writers out there. Do you think I should try to start a group? If so, can you tell me what things would be important for me to do, or think about in setting it up? It's a scary proposition for me, but I'd be willing to do it.

Thanks again, James. ~Karen

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Do you think I should try to start a group? If so, can you tell me what things would be important for me to do, or think about in setting it up? It's a scary proposition for me, but I'd be willing to do it.

I'd also love to hear from someone who's started a writing group from scratch and how they went about it.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
In the bookshop the other day I found a newly released book called "Undertow" (Can't remember the author's name - sorry). In the secondhand bookshop next door, I found an old book called "Undertow" by Tom Foote.

What is the legal position on book titles? Does it matter if my book title has been used before by another author?

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
In the bookshop the other day I found a newly released book called "Undertow" (Can't remember the author's name - sorry). In the secondhand bookshop next door, I found an old book called "Undertow" by Tom Foote.

What is the legal position on book titles? Does it matter if my book title has been used before by another author?

Speaking from my experiances at the library shelves, this seems to be somewhat common. For more proof of this, try doing a google search or searching a library catalog for a particularily vague title. 'Kindred Spirits' had something like 16 hits in my library system, in genres from fantasy to romance to historical suspense.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Titles can not be copywrit (copyrighted?) and so anyone can use any title they like. although I expect titles like Star Wars are trademarked so don't use that one. lol Use any title you like, although if you find there was a huge best seller with the same title as yours, you might consider changing yours, just so there's no confusion. Then again, if you ever sell your book, chances are the publisher might want to change your title anyway so it's not the most important thing about the book. Don't spend weeks trying to come up with the perfect title to the detriment of perfecting the book itself. :)

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
You are within your right to do that. And to deal with the confusion and consumer backlash that may result. lol Still, i doubt the publisher will let it go. unless it's a spoof. :D

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about backstory, UJ.

In regards to this advice: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=238068&postcount=4477

If you need the backstory to have the plot make sense there's a chance you're starting the story at the wrong point.

I don't know -- I haven't read your book.

My MC is using backstory to introduce other characters involved in the plot. Sometimes she discusses past history in dialog with that character. At other times she actively remembers when she first met the character, usually through a traumatic experience they shared or she alone witnessed.

I've done this in the second chapter; introducing the characters to the reader as the MC seeks them out to give them orders for an imminent attack. I've been able to do this in less than 2500 words. I'm moving it along as quickly as possible because the first climax peaks during a two day interval.

The plot is character driven so I'm wondering if using backstory is good or bad for this.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
What if I call my book The Ring of the Lords: The Brotherhood of the Ring?;)

You can write an R-rated spoof called Bored of the Rings if you want...

Wait. Already been done. :)

Seriously, titles can't be copyrighted. But I still wouldn't title any of my books Star Wars or Twilight, and the publisher would probably demand it be changed if I did.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsarber
What if I call my book The Ring of the Lords: The Brotherhood of the Ring?

it's an epic drama about boxing, right?

I did see a book entitled 'Lords of the Ring' about boxing. I'm not sure if it was a deliberate choice to mimic the fantasy epic-it almost seems it would have to be, but then I'm a fantasy geek, not a boxing fan.

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
You can write an R-rated spoof called Bored of the Rings if you want...

Wait. Already been done. :)

Seriously, titles can't be copyrighted. But I still wouldn't title any of my books Star Wars or Twilight, and the publisher would probably demand it be changed if I did.

Actually, there are a whole mess of books out there entitled "Twilight". My guess is there will be another within a few years, although probably not about vampires.

Status
Not open for further replies.