Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Ah gotcha. Are you trying to work on campus? I know at our school they tried to have a bunch of job opportunities for kids to work in admissions or places like that.

Work's going great! Writing... er, slowly? Very slowly, haha.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm great! :D Only halfway through college, unfortunately. Another two years to go. :/ I'm hunting frantically for work atm. Must find some way to PAY for these two remaining years of college. :tongue Yay for the student job market in a recession!

The job market here is an absolute disaster. I'm self-employed and sincerely hoping never to go back to applying for work.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I'm 22, in case you couldn't tell, I'm a girl. xD I get a lot of misunderstandings over my name, Channy.. which is short for Chantelle, but a lot of forumers in the past have thought it stood for Chandler. xD

So, with that said, I prefer to be called Channy. ^^

I've mostly written fantasy in the last, but recently I've been developing a sci-fi with traces of fantasy in it. Everything is mostly YA but most things in the past I never got around to finishing any of them. So then recently I got a new idea for a sci-fi that I want to see through to the end.

Ooh. I like both sci-fi/fantasy. And I haven't gotten around to finishing anything lately, so join the club. :D

Elusive

kick-ass extra something special!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah gotcha. Are you trying to work on campus? I know at our school they tried to have a bunch of job opportunities for kids to work in admissions or places like that.

Work's going great! Writing... er, slowly? Very slowly, haha.

Ah, unfortunately my campus is too far away to commute to during the summer, and housing is too expensive. I've been reduced to applying to McDonald's and Walmart -- and they won't hire me because I'm over qualified!! :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about the slow writing. I think the study bunny ate my muse during the school year. :tongue

ETA:

The job market here is an absolute disaster. I'm self-employed and sincerely hoping never to go back to applying for work.

You lucky duck! Applying for jobs has become the bane of my existence. :tongue

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed with Elu!

Margo- I saw both of those occasions as Fleur being fed up to hell with people just obsessing over her looks and never trying to get to know her (especially her date, who if I remember correctly was just nodding and staring vaguely when she was trying to have a legitimate conversation) and Ron, being some kid who just drooled over her constantly- when people view you as nothing more than what you look like it's quite irritating. I mean, she's this strong, independent, intelligent and ambitious seventeen-year-old young woman and this fourteen-year-old kid is just drooling after you and obsessing with you- not to mention him being Harry's best friend, and I believe Fleur was pretty irritated with Harry.

I mean, from her perspective, all she knows is what she's heard, and though I don't believe she is some newspaper or gossip obsessive person, she shows up at this school determined to work hard and prove her worth and some fourteen-year-old kid is presented as her competition. She must have found that offensive, both as an insult to her ability and to how hard she worked to get into the Tournament (seeing as she knows that SOMEONE cheated to get him in the competition, even if it wasn't Harry).

All in all, I could very much relate to Fleur. She's a young woman trying to prove herself, and maybe she does get a little too irritated by Harry and Ron but hey, she's allowed to have flaws.

But Fleur also falls into my character type. I just really, really love her. And like you said, FANTASTIC character development.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was very telling that when Bill got disfigured, his family (wrongly) assumed that Fleur would leave him. That says a lot about the way that people react to Fleur.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Guys, I thought I would warn you that I'm probably going to disappear for a few days while my laptop goes for repairs. I'll still be on FB on my iPod, though.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Fleur was the gorgeous French blonde who competed in the Triwizard Tournament as her school's champion. Later a member of the new Order of the Phoenix. :)

edit: Which is from Harry Potter, yes. :tongue

Elusive

Registered
Reaction score
Was going to ask who Fleur was but then I saw a Harry somewhere in Tally's post...so she must be a character from Harry Potter?

Yes. :) One of the contestants in the Tri-Wizard tournament in Goblet of Fire.

More importantly, have you not read Harry Potter?

ETA: Para beat me to it!

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
Oh...wait. Was Fleur the one that Harry had a crush on in Goblet of Fire?

Lisa - Aw that sucks. I don't know if I could survive without my laptop, even if it was just for a few days. Hopefully it gets repaired sooner than that. :)

ETA: Just saw your post Elu & Para! Ignore my question lol

And...I am probably the only one in this thread who hasn't read any of the HP books.

Elusive

Registered
Reaction score
ELY! You are DEPRIVED! :tongue

*runs off to supper*

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Harry had a crush on Cho in GoF.

Don't worry - I only finished the series last summer. And I still can't believe she killed Lupin... I hated that. I don't know why, but I just did, okay?

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
Lol. That isn't the first time someone has told me that, Elu. A kid at school yelled at me when I told him I haven't read the books. I actually own a copy of Goblet of Fire but the thing is...once I see a movie for a book it's really hard for me to read the book, because I know what happens and it just spoils for me. I've seen all of the movies except for Deathly Hallows 1 & 2 but I pretty much know what happens in the series anyways.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Deathly Hallows is an AMAZING movie (I consider it one long film) but the book is beyond comprehendable goodness. The Prince's Tale and onward are just.... wow.

I do not have that problem with books and movies, I enjoy all.

Also, Fleur was the one Ron had a crush on.

Yes, Para! Exactumundo!

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
The last two films were really, really good, but they left out a lot, like Teddy, for instance. And they changed some stuff, too.

But hey, it's a book-to-movie adaptation. I don't think you can get any better than HP.