What is Write 1 Sub 1?

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
I hope it's not too late to join! I really need some motivation. I was hoping that Nanowrimo would get me working, but I'm only at 12,532 words - sigh - and losing speed. Thanks.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Alex! Yep, I really need some kind of community. I just realized - duh - thanks to AW - that Weird Tales was not just on vacation, and that I was never ever going to hear anything back on my story that had been there for 96 days. Grrr. And also just realized, thanks to the Rejectomancy thread, that it was an even worse idea than I thought, subbing something to Analog (they don't want 'downbeat endings'. Boy, did I ever choose the wrong story to send to them!). So I will be very very grateful to get the benefit of everybody else's experience.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome aboard, Pemako! Feel free to jump into any of the threads here in the forum. We've also got a novel challenge going too, which might help with your novel motivation.

:hooray:

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
Countdown initiated . . . Write1Sub1!

Write1Sub1Reloaded.jpg

Siren of Triton

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any word minimum?
I'm trying to learn how to write for younger audiences, and therefore trying to see what I can do with only a few hundred or a thousand words.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Kudos to all who try this!
I write novels as well as short stories so would have a hard time goal-setting for this, but I'm a big believer in writers subbing what they write. My short stories stay in pretty constant circulation - if I get rejected, I re-read the story (helps to see it fresh if it's been gone for awhile), revise if I think it needs work, and send it right back out again. I currently have 6 different stories out at 8 markets. It's a win-win - some of my stories have found homes and I definitely find that the more I write, the more ideas I get for new stories.

Meme chose

Registered
Reaction score
Are stories submitted here

Hi: I like this idea of Write 1 Sub 1, but do writers submit their work here, in this forum as well? For feedback?

I'm new here, so if the answer to this is posted elsewhere in AW, my apologies.

MC

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW and W1/S1, MC and ElizaC!

Hi: I like this idea of Write 1 Sub 1, but do writers submit their work here, in this forum as well? For feedback?

I'm new here, so if the answer to this is posted elsewhere in AW, my apologies.

No worries :)

W1/S1 is for people who want to set themselves a goal of writing and subbing stories on some regular basis, and find it easier to meet goals when other folks are doing it too. Some folks try to write/sub one story a week, or one a month, and some of us are (theoretically, anyhow) working on novels which'd really be one/year. But as with so much in writing, it helps not to be alone, and this is a great group of people w/ a heck of a lot of talent and drive.

People don't sub stuff here, although I think some of the established members who've gotten to know each other pretty well beta stuff back and forth. If you want feedback on work, there's the SYW forum, but you'll have to reach 50 posts before you can post your own work there. In the meantime, it's a good idea to go there and do some critiquing for what's already posted, make yourself part of the community. No reason you can't hang out both here and there.

So what sorts of things are you writing? Do you have goals already set for yourself? Pull up a virtual chair and make yourself at home. :)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I can't believe I've been a member of AW for so long (nearly 2 years) and have used this site so little. Still definitely a newbie. Now that I'm really exploring around here, I wish I'd been more active long ago.

joetab24

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a non fiction write 1 submit 1? Or, if not, is there anyone willing to participate in one?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Is there a non fiction write 1 submit 1? Or, if not, is there anyone willing to participate in one?
Hi joetab24 :hi: There isn't specifically a non-fiction write 1 sub 1, but if you want to adapt the challenge to fit how you write, then go for it! :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
There isn't specifically a non-fiction write 1 sub 1, but if you want to adapt the challenge to fit how you write, then go for it! :)

This. There is one as soon as you decide to do it. :)

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a novel, but I think I'll try to do one short a month as well. Not sure if it'll work, but I like the idea of getting stories out there regularly, and it will look good if I have some more published stories when I send the novel out. Thanks for the kick in the pants!

Receding Waters

How much for a cheeseburger?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ourchinaexperiment.wordpress.com
I just checked out W1S1 this morning. This sounds great (like all of you already know!). It's harder for me to write smaller pieces, but I'm working on the edits to a fourth MS. I'd like to submit it to a reputable E-publisher within the next, oh, two months. Maybe I can tailor my own W1S1 to mean "Submit something every three months." I have material I can do that with, at least for the foreseeable future...Maybe that's what'll do. I always need the motivation, anyway.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Sounds like a plan, Receding Waters! Welcome to W1S1 :hooray:

You might've already seen it, but we also have a Novel Challenge going, which works on a similar premise to the short fiction challenge. Aim to write, polish, submit within a certain amount of time.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Okay, I should have posted this stuff before now, but here's what's going on for me right now.

I sent 3 stories out between 10/8 and 10/21.

Received a revise and resubmit on the 10/8 submission on 10/25. Did the revision 10/26. Received an offer 10/27.

Still waiting to hear on the other two submissions.