Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't walk up to the table, but stood across the aisle in the opposite stall, eyeing the display, and reading the nametags. When Miranda Prather read my name tag (I was at least 10 or 12 feet away, she had to squint), she seemed unsettled and annoyed. She took out her cellphone and took my picture as I stood there quietly.

Ann, you should have smiled and waved!

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but would Miranda actually want to say 'hey one of our haters saw us at BEA!'? Or do you think she'd skewer it around?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
"Buy 15 copies of your book and we'll donate an equal number to Writer Beware!"

And speaking of buying copies of your own books, a newbie seems pleased about this offer:

Did you get the announcement yesterday? You buy 5 copies with the correct coupon and PA will allow amazon.com to print your book so that it will always be in stock! It's great that if I buy more of my books then they can be sure that Amazon will always have our books ready to sell.

Seriously, there is no hope for people like this.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Hope she doesn't try to use that photo as a book cover without a press release.

And I can't help but wonder how she would have reacted had you taken her picture.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
She took out her cellphone and took my picture as I stood there quietly.

Hee-hee, I'd have shot her the peace sign and flashed a big smile. If in a real *mood* I might have walked over and acted like we were the best friends EVER!

"Gosh, it's so good to see you in person, I've heard so much about you on Absolute Write! Has PA got any books on the NYT bestseller list yet? Aw, too bad, but I'm sure you'll get lucky some day. Did Willie ever buy that yacht he was looking at? How are Larry's hemorrhoids? Better, I hope! Oh--did you ever get your diploma after that plea bargain thing? Oops--LOOK at the time! I've got a meeting with my publisher--they have that really BIG display over there in that crowd. I'll be back tomorrow--we'll do lunch! Buh-bye!!"

I would, of course, be in running shoes and have an escape route.

But then I'm evul that way and you're not. ;)

Be careful, she might:

• Mount your pic on a dart board
  • Or a (Hollywood myth style) voodoo doll
  • Send fake cops to your place to intimidate you
  • Complain to the police that you're having plastic surgery so you can look like her and trying to frame her for a hate crime
Or worse!

• Buy 10 copies of your PA books and we will ship 10 to author A.C. Crispin!
OTOH, those would be useful this winter, should you have a wood-burning fireplace.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Wow, there was a scathing response to the newbie who thought it was "great" that she could get her book listed on Amazon if she bought some copies.

Um...no, it's NOT great. Most publishers place their authors' work on Amazon without charging them. My book hasn't been on Amazon for four months and I have been waiting for this to be corrected. NOW, after ALL this time, they tell us we have to BUY five copies of our books to get them listed again? Seriously? This doesn't tick you off? That email was insulting and just plain wrong. I have no intentions of buying my own books, especially when one of them costs twenty-five bucks. I've done my share of posting stupid things on this board, spouting praise for PA like a brainwashed robot. No more. I've finally woke up. I'll get banned for this and that's just fine and freakin' dandy, because I'm done with PA. OUT of here. Good luck to you all.

Hope that author finds his way here.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I love seeing posts like that, especially after business hours or on weekends when the office is closed and Infocenter is slow on the draw.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Oo, I'll get sugar. All writers need sugar, right?

Seriously, though, one of the best things about that post was the "I'll get banned for this" line. Maybe others who get the chance to read it before it vanishes will start to realize, "Hey, PA is actually banning people who post legit complaints."

I do wonder how long it takes being a regular on that board to notice how reasonable questions like, "Why are you always pressuring me to buy my own book?" just vanish.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, there was a scathing response to the newbie who thought it was "great" that she could get her book listed on Amazon if she bought some copies.

*nature channel announcer voice*

And here we have it, the birth of the Awakening Jealous Taody Bug. See it open its wings for the first time as it prepares to fly away. Take note, nature lovers, the cry of the AJTB is rarely heard; you have to be quick and pay attention.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
It's always heartening to see someone announce that the emperor has no clothes, right on the emperor's own message board :D.

Hope that one continues writing and finds the way to safe harbor, whether here or somewhere else that helps show authors the way toward successful commercial publication.

ETA: Still there. Timing is everything!

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
I've done my share of posting stupid things on this board, spouting praise for PA like a brainwashed robot. No more. I've finally woke up.

It takes some serious guts to admit something like that in public - or to yourself, even. I love seeing that.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
From the thread about Karen S. Gibbs being on 300+ book titles as co-author:

This sparked my curiousity so I had to check out my books on this site. My first one,---------, shows up correctly but my second one, ----------, says it is by Sharon Harper??? What?? Can't say that makes me happy and I really don't understand. Hope someone can enlighten me.

Needless to say, Sharon Harper isn't the author who posted this.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Another disgruntled newbie's first post:
I preordered books and was to get 5 hard cover free. i was charged for them but have yet to reciev them. I have tried calling and sending emails, but publish America has not answered me. Anyone know how to contact them? I have a book signing coming up and need the books!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com

It's gone now. The original "This is a great deal!" post is still there, though.

Sigh. I hope s/he ends up over here, too.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about this quote:

You buy 5 copies with the correct coupon and PA will allow amazon.com to print your book so that it will always be in stock!

Wouldn't that put them in violation with their other printer (I can't recall who it is now...B&T?)? Or is it possible this author misunderstood?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
More problems, more questions

Has anyone else's book gone back on amazon or barnes and noble? Mine still hasn't this is soooooooo frustrating! I have lost a lot of sales because of this.

The next royalty statement is going to be painful. Assuming there is one.

I was told that my book would be avbailable through Amazon.com and other stores on-line. But everytime I check, it is not found. Can someone help me? I have posted on a website that would enable people to order through amazon, but my book isn't listed there! - Link

And infocenter locked this one without a reply:

Dear PA:
I understand that you want to help us as authors by providing special offers for us on the weekends. However, I am one of those people who live paycheck to paycheck and I only get paid on the 15th and 30th of month. Could you try to have some of these specials at these times of the month? I would love to order some copies of my book(s) at discounted prices, but the offer is over before I get paid. This is just a suggestion, but it would help me immensely and perhaps others as well.
Thank you for your consideration.

I don't know what's sadder, the author bending over backwards to be polite or the author living "paycheck to paycheck" but trying to buy his own books.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Dear PA Lurkers,

Real writers DO get paid for their work, providing you place your book with a real publisher, not PA.

I got notice today from my agent that a check for one of my older title's royalties is on the way--low three figures--which is a lot better than that poor bloke's .87.

The week before I got another low 3-figure check from an old title. It was nice.

My publishers pay ME. I don't pay them. That's not how it's ever supposed to work, but PA is literally BANKING that you won't figure that out until they've squeezed you dry.

So...how much money has PA made off you this year?

Are you angry with them yet?

You damned-well should be.
icon8.gif