A Life of Crime and Chocolate

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
So very quiet! How's everyone?

I've been buying books today. My credit card is currently whimpering under the couch.

And John Hart's new book, Iron Horse, is selling cheaper in hardback than ebook. Explain it to me all you want, I will never understand ebook pricing.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I'm editing and beta reading. Also, because I miss my MTS stuff, working on a query letter even though I don't need it yet. I just kind of needed a dose of fiction writing for a break from non-fic editing. I don't know. I may put it up in query letter hell.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score

I've been buying books today. My credit card is currently whimpering under the couch.

And John Hart's new book, Iron Horse, is selling cheaper in hardback than ebook. Explain it to me all you want, I will never understand ebook pricing.

Someone has tried to explain ebook pricing?

I think it is too new. It'll even out one of these days. I'm guessing... :Shrug:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm editing and beta reading. Also, because I miss my MTS stuff, working on a query letter even though I don't need it yet. I just kind of needed a dose of fiction writing for a break from non-fic editing. I don't know. I may put it up in query letter hell.

Let us know if you do!

Someone has tried to explain ebook pricing?

I think it is too new. It'll even out one of these days. I'm guessing... :Shrug:

Yeah, I've read lots of blogs and people have tried to explain it. Sometimes, though, life just doesn't make sense.

Profound words of wisdom. :tongue

DocBrown

Registered
Reaction score
To their credit, it is a complicated issue. There has to be a balance between what the author expects, what the buyer expects, and what each feels the property is worth versus what sort of exposure the author is looking for.

That is, a new author looking for exposure will need to sell their books cheaper than one who already has an established audience.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I feel weird not to have posted in this thread at all in 2012... Wow.

Well, about a month ago I put a horror short story on Amazon just so I could get a feel for the process and I'm pretty pleased with the $7 I've made. :) It's more than I've made in the past for writing!

Putting a short story up on Amazon doesn't strip you of your "debut novelist" title, right, because it isn't a novel? Just checking. :D

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I pondered that myself MW. I have a local history type book I'm working on now that I will be doing createspace and maybe the ebooks. I've researched/written so much on local history I was thinking of putting some test shorts up too, just to get a feel for the process, so I understand it all before I put my book up.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score

I am mildly exhausted and fed up. Dad has been in Prague for the last couple of days and decided to come on my tours. So first of all he was exceedingly rude to the staff at our office, shouting at them when they tried to offer him information because 'why would he need it, his daughter had told him everything' (I wasn't there at that time), and then ruined so far three tours. First two he interrupted all the way through, making stupid comments and basically making fun of me and the tour all the way. Worst thing was both tours only had two people, him and another bloke, which can be quite awkward anyway. Then the third one, he went into a sulk because I mentioned that he'd been rude to my boss and to me. He insisted he hadn't said anything and that I was being unreasonable, but at least during the last tour he stayed quiet.

He's also not speaking to me particularly because of the possible move to Canada. Bad enough I moved to Prague, which girls are not supposed to do, girls are meant to stay two doors down from their parents, married to someone they went to school with and having loads of grandkids, but Canada? Tried to explain that it's probably my best chance at getting the career I want in TV writing, or at the very least will be a great experience and let me make lots of contacts in the industry that might get me back into technical behind the scenes work, but no.

However, despite that I had an amazing time in Germany with my all time favourite actor, my muse ;) and will actually be seeing him again at a convention in Italy this weekend. This one though is actually for fantasy and SF writers as well as actors so it's going to be doubly interesting. Then it looks like I'm going to France next month for a weekend too, which is exciting. So that's making up for the rottenness of the last few days. Only thing is, being so busy, I've had very little time for the WIP, but I'm hoping I'll get a chance in Italy, then things will calm down a bit for a couple of weeks.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
That is, a new author looking for exposure will need to sell their books cheaper than one who already has an established audience.

But I got Hart's hardback brand-new book for $10. And he's not super new.

I know it's complicated, I just wish it made sense. :)

Putting a short story up on Amazon doesn't strip you of your "debut novelist" title, right, because it isn't a novel? Just checking. :D

Congrats on the sales! I'm not sure how I missed your story before, but I shall rectify that this morning! And no, you'd still be a debut novelist. ;)

I pondered that myself MW. I have a local history type book I'm working on now that I will be doing createspace and maybe the ebooks. I've researched/written so much on local history I was thinking of putting some test shorts up too, just to get a feel for the process, so I understand it all before I put my book up.

Do it! Do it! Do it!

I am mildly exhausted and fed up. Dad has been in Prague for the last couple of days and decided to come on my tours. So first of all he was exceedingly rude to the staff at our office, shouting at them when they tried to offer him information because 'why would he need it, his daughter had told him everything' (I wasn't there at that time), and then ruined so far three tours. First two he interrupted all the way through, making stupid comments and basically making fun of me and the tour all the way. Worst thing was both tours only had two people, him and another bloke, which can be quite awkward anyway. Then the third one, he went into a sulk because I mentioned that he'd been rude to my boss and to me. He insisted he hadn't said anything and that I was being unreasonable, but at least during the last tour he stayed quiet.

He's also not speaking to me particularly because of the possible move to Canada. Bad enough I moved to Prague, which girls are not supposed to do, girls are meant to stay two doors down from their parents, married to someone they went to school with and having loads of grandkids, but Canada? Tried to explain that it's probably my best chance at getting the career I want in TV writing, or at the very least will be a great experience and let me make lots of contacts in the industry that might get me back into technical behind the scenes work, but no.

However, despite that I had an amazing time in Germany with my all time favourite actor, my muse ;) and will actually be seeing him again at a convention in Italy this weekend. This one though is actually for fantasy and SF writers as well as actors so it's going to be doubly interesting. Then it looks like I'm going to France next month for a weekend too, which is exciting. So that's making up for the rottenness of the last few days. Only thing is, being so busy, I've had very little time for the WIP, but I'm hoping I'll get a chance in Italy, then things will calm down a bit for a couple of weeks.

:eek: :Hug2: My goodness. I'm sorry things are tough with your dad. That sounds very frustrating indeed!

So I woke up this morning to an email that made my brain explode into itty bitty pieces. It's going to be one of those days.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I woke up this morning to an email that made my brain explode into itty bitty pieces. It's going to be one of those days.

:Hug2:
images

:)

DocBrown

Registered
Reaction score
But I got Hart's hardback brand-new book for $10. And he's not super new.

I know it's complicated, I just wish it made sense.

It does make sense.

Hart's "new" book came out last July, which means they are dumping the last of the hard covers because he'll have a new book out soon. ;) Also, this book will likely come out in paperback soon if it hasn't already.

The ebook price remains the same, because, in theory, if you were going to buy it in ebook rather than hardcover, you'll still buy it as an ebook. And as I said, he has the audience to command that ebook price.

Likely, the ebook price will drop a couple of bucks when the assumed new book comes out. Or maybe not, maybe he'll still be able to command that ebook price.

The lucky bastid... :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

Thank you! :) A second one just rolled in in the same vein. Forget it; I'm going shopping. Grocery shopping, true, but whatever. :D

It does make sense.

Hart's "new" book came out last July, which means they are dumping the last of the hard covers because he'll have a new book out soon. ;) Also, this book will likely come out in paperback soon if it hasn't already.

The ebook price remains the same, because, in theory, if you were going to buy it in ebook rather than hardcover, you'll still buy it as an ebook. And as I said, he has the audience to command that ebook price.

Likely, the ebook price will drop a couple of bucks when the assumed new book comes out. Or maybe not, maybe he'll still be able to command that ebook price.

The lucky bastid... :D

Ah! For some reason I thought this was brand-new. But we're still seeing brand-new books where the eprice is higher than the hardback (Amazon, I'm looking at you).

Nope, I will not pay more for an ebook than a hardback. And I'd much rather read an ebook, but it has its downsides. And ebook prices are going up, not down. So... :Shrug:

And Hart? Not lucky. Incredibly gifted. Bastid. :tongue

DocBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Ebook prices started out much too low.

In the rush to get their work out there and compete, a lot of self-pubbed authors practically gave (are still giving away) their work for the sake of reaching an audience. I think things are starting to self correct in the supply/demand dept.

I've noticed novels have crept up to the $2.99 - $4.99 price, allowing short stories and novellas to utilize the $.99 price tag. I find this to be a much more equitable range for pricing.

And if you want those famous talented people, then go ahead and pay $9.99 - $15.99. ;)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the sales! I'm not sure how I missed your story before, but I shall rectify that this morning! And no, you'd still be a debut novelist. ;)

Haha, thanks! I was 99% sure I was, but it's good to hear it from someone else. :)

^This.

Oh and a little of this, too:

chocolate-liquid-1vds4o9.jpg

As they don't say, a little chocolate a day keeps the doctor away. :D

ETA: That chocolate is dangerously delicious-looking.

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Eat. Chocolate.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's also not speaking to me particularly because of the possible move to Canada. Bad enough I moved to Prague, which girls are not supposed to do, girls are meant to stay two doors down from their parents, married to someone they went to school with and having loads of grandkids,

You've just described my life!:cry:

Sorry you had such a bad time with your dad, Zelenka. :Hug2:

I think we both need some of MystryRiter's chocolate, if HJ will share?

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
::fights MysteryRiter for chocolate::

*chocolate starts to fall and Mystery jumps to save it*
*grabs chocolate and runs, leaving only a small portion for Jude*

:D

Heh. You know, you can have a little, but the rest is mine.

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
::jude sits back and pretends to be chagrined, but really chuckles over the Evil Secret Plan::

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh. :gone:

*pretends to be scared, but the smileys shall show the real chain of events:*

:e2coffee:

:e2BIC:

:e2brows:
:e2chain:

:sword

*the blood is not Jude's--it belongs to the chocolate-maker Mystery killed to get more secret chocolate, all to himself*

:evil

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I want in on this plan. I haz ideas. :idea: We should pool our resources together!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
No. My plan! Grrr....

I have my one ideas and they're great. Take note:
:idea:

:e2fight:

:evil

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Zelenka, I'm sorry to hear about your dad's got issues. I just don't get why some parents feel thy have to denigrate their kids like that. I think it is insecurity on their part, or jealously. Move to Canada--send a post card after you get there.