Bskanksters

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Just depositing some thoughts on the topic of banking. In my next life, Id like to come back as a bank. What a life!

But seriously, the shit surrounding so many major corps is really starting to stink!! I'm thinking there should be some type of fee assessed here, since that's the way banks like to handle things. How about "DBT Fee" Doing Business with Terrorists Fee?

Matt Taibbi said it best:

Wow. So the executives who spent a decade laundering billions of dollars will have to partially defer their bonuses during the five-year deferred prosecution agreement? Are you fucking kidding me? That's the punishment?

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...lement-proves-the-drug-war-is-a-joke-20121213

This type of behavior is waaay worse than bouncing a check, if you ask me.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
What else would you expect of an industry based on the dual frauds of fiat money and fractional-reserve banking, existing only through the largess of a political class declaring their crimes "legal" for a cut of the take? That bit of historical prestidigitation naturally set the stage for a Nixonesque "If we do it, it's not really illegal."

ETA: Extra points for "Bskanksters," BTW. ;)

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes. It's all about "fiat money" and "fractional reserve banking." I mean, without those, it would be impossible to help someone hide the source of their income, right? And no one would ever fund anything shady, like drugs or war or assassination?

Or is this just a paper-thin attempt to derail YET ANOTHER thread onto your own personal hobby horse?

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
. . . Or is this just a paper-thin attempt to derail YET ANOTHER thread onto your own personal hobby horse?

Gee Monkey, that seems a tad harsh for only the 2nd day of the year. Besides, Don's hobby horse barely rocks these days since he's gone to the gold standard!!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes. It's all about "fiat money" and "fractional reserve banking." I mean, without those, it would be impossible to help someone hide the source of their income, right? And no one would ever fund anything shady, like drugs or war or assassination?

Or is this just a paper-thin attempt to derail YET ANOTHER thread onto your own personal hobby horse?
Fiat money was essentially created to fund warfare, FWIW, because governments couldn't afford wars if they had to be paid for up front with real wealth, so there's a lot of truth in your statement. As for hiding income and drugs, I've got nothing against either one, and it's probably best I not offer my opinion on assassination.

The point was that governments have been turning a blind eye to the machinations of their bskankster buddies in return for their support for about as long as there have been either one, so seeing banks walk away scott-free for things that would put mere mortals behind bars shouldn't be a shock to anybody.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Fiat money was essentially created to fund warfare, FWIW, because governments couldn't afford wars if they had to be paid for up front with real wealth, so there's a lot of truth in your statement. As for hiding income and drugs, I've got nothing against either one, and it's probably best I not offer my opinion on assassination.

The point was that governments have been turning a blind eye to the machinations of their bskankster buddies in return for their support for about as long as there have been either one, so seeing banks walk away scott-free for things that would put mere mortals behind bars shouldn't be a shock to anybody.

Money was created to fund warfare, Don. Money was also created for other things too as has fiat money. So please, get off that hobby horse and actually stick to the discussion at hand.

Johncs

This space for rent
Registered
Reaction score
As George Carlin once said, It's a big club and you ain't in it...

Settlements like these happen all the time (and not just for drug-related offenses), or at least it seems that way. If the penalty for robbing a bank was you had to give (some of) the money back, then there would a line of people in ski masks stretching down the block...

Same story, different names.

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
So, going beyong the "not surprised" reaction, I'd like to once again mention my "fee-based solution". In addition to the (meager) penalty already assessed (1.9 bil = 5 weeks skanky-bank income) I believe a $5 fee on each (deposit or withdrawal) transaction* for the five-year probation period would serve as a reminder as to the level of "trust" involved in financial exchanges. WTF???

Smartphones and tablets, by contrast, are radically changing bank customers' behaviour, causing them to visit their branch far less often but sharply to increase the number of transactions with their bank. When banks first introduced very basic mobile-banking systems that allowed customers to check their balance by text message, interactions went up from an average of nine to 20 a month, says CeCe Morken of Intuit, a maker of personal-finance software used by consumers and banks. When banks started to produce banking applications for smartphones with touch-screens, “we got shocked because engagement went up into the 30s,” says Ms Morken.
. . . It reckons that the cost of handling a customer transaction via an automated telephone system is just 6% of what it would be in a branch. Some 93% of all of its customer transactions are now self-service.

http://money.usnews.com/money/perso...10/10-annoying-bank-feesand-how-to-avoid-them

Excellent article, btw.

*includes both person-to-person & all of those pesky phone app transactions.

Last edited: