• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] BookEnds, LLC / Beyond the Page Publishing

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question on follow-up protocol:

I sent requested material to Lauren Ruth on January 17. Their submission guidelines states their response time goal is 12 weeks to respond to RM. It has been 15 weeks.

However, I queried her on September 19 and she responded on January 16. Their query goals are 8 weeks.

How long should I wait before nudging? Based on the query response time, it may take a while still. I nudged on the query on November 22, but she responded to my original submission.

Thoughts? Have any of you had a similar experience?

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I just received a request for the first 3 chapters of my novel + synopsis from Lauren Ruth.

I'd queried Jan 13 and received the request May 8th. I had written Lauren off because it had been sooo long since I'd queried -- what a pleasant surprise :D

:cry: Unfortunately -- or well it is a good unfortunately, I am revising my novel (per requests of another agent).

ex_machina

Enjoy the show.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question on follow-up protocol:

I sent requested material to Lauren Ruth on January 17. Their submission guidelines states their response time goal is 12 weeks to respond to RM. It has been 15 weeks.

However, I queried her on September 19 and she responded on January 16. Their query goals are 8 weeks.

How long should I wait before nudging? Based on the query response time, it may take a while still. I nudged on the query on November 22, but she responded to my original submission.

Thoughts? Have any of you had a similar experience?

Was it a partial or a full? For my full, it took Jessica a month to get to it. I'm not sure about Lauren, but from what I can gather on QT and personal experience, they really do try to be prompt if they're interested in something.

If it's a full, I would wait maybe another few weeks. If it's a partial, I would probably nudge and gently remind them of their 12 week goal.

I hope that helps!

TheCakeNovelist

Magically delicious
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with Beth Campbell at Bookends? I received a partial request from her based on a query I had sent to Lauren Ruth, and a month later she bumped it up to a full.

It's been less than a month since I sent the full so I may have a while to wait, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any dealings with her. She's been lovely so far and BookEnds is one of my top choices so I am crossing everything!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
TheCakeNovelist, you're having a great querying run! This is the second thread I've seen where you've had a full request, congrats. :D I can't offer any advice, I'm afraid, but I hope it goes well for you.

TheCakeNovelist

Magically delicious
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I was loath to do it, but I finally took the very good advice to reduce my wordcount and it seems to have done the trick. :Sun:

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Nonfiction

Has anyone had recent experience with querying NF with BookEnds? The site says they take it, and their list looks intriguing - but it appears the only agent who handles NF is Jessica Faust, and she only takes subs on referral now. (http://www.bookends-inc.com/submit.html). Seems like they're focusing solely on fiction now. Thanks for any insight!

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know they can just ignore it and I'm only out an email, so no skin off my back, but I'm still trying to follow their guidelines and getting confused. They do rep NF, or have in the past, but the agent profiles clearly state they only want specific kinds of fiction.

MaraudingDon

Searching for Arthur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
musingsofapennilesswriter.blogspot.com.au
Yeah, I know they can just ignore it and I'm only out an email, so no skin off my back, but I'm still trying to follow their guidelines and getting confused. They do rep NF, or have in the past, but the agent profiles clearly state they only want specific kinds of fiction.

Follow the profiles - always. Keep looking for an agent that reps your kind of book.

Good luck!

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Has anyone dealt with Beth Campbell at Bookends? I received a partial request from her based on a query I had sent to Lauren Ruth, and a month later she bumped it up to a full.

It's been less than a month since I sent the full so I may have a while to wait, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any dealings with her. She's been lovely so far and BookEnds is one of my top choices so I am crossing everything!

Jessica Alvarez at BookEnds is my agent (signed with her in August) so the interactions I've had with Beth have been in her capacity as their literary assistant (so contract correspondence, mainly). I dont have any knowledge of her agent role, but I've been a big fan of BookEnds for years and am very happy with Jessica and the agency.

Good luck!!!

sandolita

Registered
Reaction score
EQ 6 Mar (Jessica Faust)
Full Req 14 Mar

Realised recently there are a few typos in the revised version I sent. They are toward the end, so hopefully by the time she gets to them she'll already be 'sold' and they won't matter!

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
EQ 6 Mar (Jessica Faust)
Full Req 14 Mar

Realised recently there are a few typos in the revised version I sent. They are toward the end, so hopefully by the time she gets to them she'll already be 'sold' and they won't matter!

Congratulations! I got a full request from her on April 4th. It's turned me into an email junkie. lol