How many words on a page generally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, about how many words are usually on a book page? I'm writing in weird word processing software and I think I may have more book pages that it says I do.

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
Whatever your word processor shows, it's unlikely to reflect what'll show up in a printed book. I'm not sure I understand the question, but in standard manuscript format you can usually guesstimate 10 words per line, 25 lines per page (using double-spaced 12-point Courier).

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
zeprosnepsid said:
Out of curiosity, about how many words are usually on a book page? I'm writing in weird word processing software and I think I may have more book pages that it says I do.

There is a very complicated formula used to estimate the number of words that appear on a printed page. Just ask someone in the industry how to do a castoff, then actually pay attention. It's not as easy as "X words per page"; a great deal depends upon design characteristics, and upon characteristics of the text (e.g., is there a log of dialog? footnotes? diagrams? short or long chapters? short or long paragraphs?). It's a black art. Or, perhaps, a black-and-white art.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
ack, so complicated! Thanks for the help though. I'm just trying to figure out how many pages I'm actually writing. Because I think my word processor pages will be more book pages and my book is going to be like 800 pages long.

CaptDave

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ancientstonesites.com
page count

My philosophy is to worry more about completing the book and less about big the book is. My job is to write. The publisher's in charge of making it fit.

Hiwever, here's how I ballpark the page count.

This particulalr publisher wants 75,000 words +/- for my final manuscript. Reviewing their catalog, that's a 250 page book. That means I need about 300 words per page to roughly match the page count.

So, I use 12 pt, Times New Roman, double-spaced text. It's not exact, but it's close enough to keep a mental tally of progress.

Your mileage may vary.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
thank you. i just wanted a ballpark. while it is the publisher's responsibility, i want to book to be vaguely affordable. i just don't want the length to get out of hand.

terryewalker

Registered
Reaction score
No more then 80,000 too 120,000 words per book 30 to 35 lines per page. Anything over this is like two books.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
CaptDave said:
My philosophy is to worry more about completing the book and less about big the book is. My job is to write. The publisher's in charge of making it fit.

Kinda...but if you deliver something much longer than contracted, it can be a one-way ticket to Palookaville!

Status
Not open for further replies.