Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, definitely. It's why parenting is such challenging work - that and the fact every child is unique and parenting skills need to be tweaked for each kid. Also why it's so rewarding. :)

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Consistency is key, and setting basic rules. I understand you having a problem with rules, but when you understand which rules are in place, and why, they'll be a whole lot easier to follow - for you and for her.

Also, and trust me on this, children really do appreciate having rules and boundaries. It's been my experience kids tend to enjoy those adults who are firm and consistent more than the ones that cater to their every whim.

Yes! This!

And I'm not above motivating my kids with something they want. Some call it bribery, but isn't that your motivation for going to work? You agree to perform a series of chores for the reward of a paycheck, yes?

That said, the reward thing does not apply for basic good behavior. That's just expected and required.

Like wearing clothes.

6 month olds might get away with running around in their skivvies but I expect actual clothing on a 5 yro.

;)

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
Heh... when BW and I have kids Imma play that Notorious B.I.G. song 'I love it when they call me big papa...' Over and over to him...

*snickers*

No idea why I find it so amusing... but I do. :D

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
It's been good - and not so vacationy. :rolleyes: Spent the afternoon on the phone and sending emails with work-related stuff.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
BTW this has NO effect when they become TEENAGERS! seems the braincells begin to degrade and they forget who's boss!

Trust me - I am 100%, absolutely, positively NOT going to be in the country at that point. Uh-uh, no way.

Also, and trust me on this, children really do appreciate having rules and boundaries.

She's not deliberately being bad, she's just hyper-excitable and completely disregards anything I can say when she is bouncing around. And no, there is not a lot of sugar in her diet (I even stopped the Robinsons fruit drink and Ribena as they had too much sugar for my liking). If she could sit down and talk instead of blabbering on... *sigh* Okay, I fail at this in epic proportions...

6 month olds might get away with running around in their skivvies but I expect actual clothing on a 5 yro.

Uh. It's been really, really hot, so she's been running around the apartment in just her underpants until I get her ready for the school nursery. Now I'm thinking I may need to address that.

It's been good - and not so vacationy. :rolleyes: Spent the afternoon on the phone and sending emails with work-related stuff.

*sigh* Switch off the 'phone, put away the computer and RELAX. Jeez, a person would think that you didn't know how to party.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's not deliberately being bad, she's just hyper-excitable and completely disregards anything I can say when she is bouncing around.

Is she really bouncing around in a "cannot focus on anything more than two minutes" kind of way, or just in a "I'm a kid and have lots of energy" kind of way?

Because if it's the former, it may actually be something.

Try coffee, see if that helps. (No, seriously. Ask the skwirrel.)

:Coffee:

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
What the sheep said. Coffee can do great things for a kid who simply can. not. focus. Gave my Li'l Dude a great first grade year after a nightmare kindergarten year.

Friend of mine has a son who has a mild degree of autism whom she honeschools. Cup of coffee in the morning has taken three hours out of their school day. THREE HOURS.

Of course, individual results may vary.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
I used to drink lattes in the afternoon, all through my elementary school years. I hated the stuff, but that's an entirely different matter. :tongue

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
Where is Debbie?

Busy digging?

200px-Debbie_Jellinsky_with_a_shovel.jpg

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hah! Joke's on you! We all have nightmares anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.