Thread: 2 Moon Press
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #49
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm just looking through the 2 Moon Press website now and I have found a few things that concern me. The italics are mine, just to highlight a few problems with the text.

From its Policies & Procedures page:

Quote:
PUBLISHING TIME FRAME

Publishing of a book properly takes time. There are many publishers that will draw a author in with promises of unrealistic publishing times. 2 Moon Press states that the approximate time to publish a standard novel is between 6 and 10 weeks. However many things can delay this, such as publisher load, author review of files. We do not rush our authors books. We feel when rushed, mistakes happen, and no one wants a book with mistakes in it. Children's book can take longer due to the illustrations in them. So can other specialty books.
As I've already mentioned, I find it somewhat disconcerting that a publisher has such bad grammar: "publishing of a book"?

I don't see how any publisher can do even a half-way decent job of publishing a novel in six to ten weeks. Six to ten months, perhaps. But for them to claim in the same paragraph that they don't rush their authors' books is extraordinary.

This article, What Is Publishing, from 2 Moons' blog is also quite extraordinary. It contains spelling errors, homophone substitutions, and is so completely wrong on all sorts of things that it's difficult to see where to start. Here's a snippet. My italics throughout.

Quote:
SELF PUBLISHING
This is where you design it, lay it out, do the cover, do the editing, arrange all marketing... This is what Create A Space is, as others. Nothing wrong with it, however know that YOU are where it starts and stops. YOU make the cover wrong a little bit, they will print it, you do not lay that book out right. They will print it. Yep you get to buy inexpensive books, however cheap is, as cheap is... You get a cheap book. Once that WILL break easily on the spine, look at the edge of the spine, they use brown glue, this is a brittle glue. Your book will not hold up. Self publishing has it's fans. However know it all falls on you.

POD
This is similar to most pay to publish operations out there. They may design it right, they may have ala'cart editing services, however their are two problems with this usually. First they set the retail price, and usually the retail prices are so far out of whack that you won't sell book. Second is they use tactics designed to make you buy thousands of them. Plus again poor quality. OH and not to mention unoriginal, template book covers.

TRADITIONAL PUBLISHING
Ideal way, they way everyone dreams of right? Well, yes and no. Traditional publishing is where a large house picks up your book, they will take the reigns, spend money to market it, get you noticed. Well the truth of the matter is simple. Just because you are "picked up" by a large publishing house, does not mean you will be published by them. 2 Moon Press has 3 current authors who had their books picked up (non 2 Moon books) and they have been waiting years... for them to release them. Not quite the market time yet they are told. Not to mention what you agree to. You WILL sign over "Creative Control" rights to them. They can change characters, places, plot, etc... I worked for two of them, I know and I know what the behind the scenes of it is. If that is ideal to you, then keep sending query letters and submissions. However do your homework, as each publisher has their own specific requirements.
There is plenty more on the 2 Moons Press website but I think that's enough to demonstrate the problems I have with them.

Last edited by Old Hack; 09-18-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: More and more and more italics...
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote